Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:47 am

kootenay joe wrote:Mark, your Madison Barlow looks sharp ! 8) I have seen mammoth and giraffe that look similar to this apaloosa.
I agree the Fayette is one of the best for in hand feel.
I think the term "run up" refers to the portion of tang that runs up to meet the blade spine to make the corner that sticks up when blade is closed.
I think you are referring to the meeting of spring with blade spine and for this i have never heard any specific name for this.
Maybe a knife mechanic might know the correct name ?
kj

Another member told me it was called that. But I don’t know. It seems there is no rock solid term for that, which is odd. I guess we can make our own name or acronym for it. They way I have trouble finding the right words lately I guess I will start with “ouoyktt”. Which stands for “oh,uhm,oh,you,know,that,thing”.
I’m not married to that, so I will entertain suggestions.
Mark
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:50 am

A couple of great pickups Mark! I think anybody that was able to get anything out of that madness of a drop should feel very lucky. ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:58 am

gsmith7158 wrote:A couple of great pickups Mark! I think anybody that was able to get anything out of that madness of a drop should feel very lucky. ::tu::

Thanks Greg. It was an interesting experience. I found it very frustrating. I gave up shopping in stores at Christmas time for the same reason, I find it frustrating. I am pleased with the knives. The Fayette jack surprised me. I love that knife and here I thought I was settling.
Mark
SSk (Mark)

OLDE CUTLER
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby OLDE CUTLER » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:49 am

I recently got this #81 Moose in amber bone, my first GEC knife. I guess a lot of people today do not care for the Moose pattern, but I have a few and like them mostly because of the large size and blade arrangement.
IMG_2642.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:58 am

Nice looking knife OC. ::tu::

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Doc B » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:40 am

I bought a lot of 75 knives a couple of months ago off Ebay. The average cost came out to be 3.67 per knife. It was packed in 4 bags and I had only opened one bag. The first bag had some pretty decent knives. I decided to wait to unveil the others, at a later time. Tonight I got to worrying if any celluloid knives were in the bags (none were). I opened the remainder. There were a lot of Buck, Schrade, Parker Japan with nice bone, Winchester, Remington, a nice K-Bar USA. Many newer China made...many USA; but, all were in great shape; a couple of knives missing shields. One of the best lots of knives I've picked up. The guy that had this collection had a pretty good eye for decent knives. Most were not high dollar knives; although, many are $15-$20 knives. A nice Military issue Camillus. But...this one shocked me to find!
Great Eastern Cutlery Tidioute 818213.
IMG_1153.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

DM11
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby DM11 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:47 am

Good score on that Coon Skinner. ::tu::
Attachments
818213-ebony1.jpg
David

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:21 pm

Just got my Pemberton w/ the smooth white bone from Traditional Pocketknives. I like white bone knives almost as much as green knives. This one is really nice looking.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5194.jpeg
IMG_5195.jpeg
IMG_5196.jpeg
SSk (Mark)

DM11
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby DM11 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:15 am

Very nice looking knife Mark. ::tu:: Was tempted by that one but havent given in yet.
David

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:06 am

DM11 wrote:Very nice looking knife Mark. ::tu:: Was tempted by that one but havent given in yet.

It’s really a very nice knife. Fit and finish are great, the pull is just what you expect on a GEC knife.
The stags are hitting the dealers right now. Had an email tonight and they sold 20 in no time. CK informs me that tomorrow they will be sending out emails for people that reserved to choose their knife. Then they will have another batch coming on Tuesday. So keep an eye open if interested.
Thanks,
Mark
SSk (Mark)

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:47 am

The smooth white bone is by far the best looking Pemberton. I went looking for one but, too late, all gone to new homes, none left for slow old farts. GEC collecting is getting to be a young guys game. Fast reflexes needed and state of the art equipment for micro-second speed advantage.
By the time us old guys have had our nap and found our glasses (and maybe dentures), they's all gone. Darn eh. :mrgreen:
kj

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:51 pm

kootenay joe wrote:The smooth white bone is by far the best looking Pemberton. I went looking for one but, too late, all gone to new homes, none left for slow old farts. GEC collecting is getting to be a young guys game. Fast reflexes needed and state of the art equipment for micro-second speed advantage.
By the time us old guys have had our nap and found our glasses (and maybe dentures), they's all gone. Darn eh. :mrgreen:
kj

Maybe I will start buying twos when I can so I can pass one along to a friend like you here on the forum. And if you or others aren’t interested than I can keep them or sell them elsewhere. We’ve got to help the elderly when we can. :D
SSk
SSk (Mark)

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:14 pm

"We’ve got to help the elderly when we can"
That's the spirit we need more of ! Help The Old Ones get more knives ! Right on. Thank you.
kj

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Got this one in the mail today. I just happened to be looking at my email at just the right time. Muscle bone 46.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5210.jpeg
IMG_5211.jpeg
IMG_5212.jpeg
SSk (Mark)

FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby FarSide » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Got this one in the mail today. I just happened to be looking at my email at just the right time. Muscle bone 46.
SSk

Nice grab & knife. GEC did a nice job on those. Probably won't see those again for a long while.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”