Those hard to find Old Timers

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Those hard to find Old Timers

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey y'all....
I have been hunting for a small hand full of the USA made Old Timer knives lately. First off.... they do come up for auction on ebay from time to time but when they do, the price goes past where I feel comfortable paying before the auction ends.

SO... can you guys give me a fair ball park figure for the few I am still hunting?
I know the price has to be controlled mostly by the scarcity or how many were produced.

Anyway.... I am looking for the following to finish up my collection.

8OTY
34OTY
44OT
49OT
53OTG
98OT
123OT
126OT
and 225OT

I've seen pics of them all so I do know that they exist....LOL.... I guess I just need to try to apprehend these varmints without killing my pocket book.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mike
:D
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Then the jealous crow cried "Cora!...Why do you mock me so? You'll always be a beauty and I, a jealous crow."
The Jealous Crow......Chris Stewart & Back Country

Beavertail

Re: Those hard to find Old Timers

Postby Beavertail » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:03 pm

Hey Mike,
Did You ever find a 2OT?
If You did,show Us a photo. ::tu::

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:13 pm

Oh yes... I sure did.
kootenay joe (Roland) sold me one..... the USPS has possession of it right now BUT I should have it in my hands soon!

2OT 1.JPG

2OT 2.JPG

Mike
::super_happy::

Then the jealous crow cried "Cora!...Why do you mock me so? You'll always be a beauty and I, a jealous crow."

Beavertail

Postby Beavertail » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:59 pm

She's a beauty! Thanks ::tu::

Sanders Knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Sanders Knives » Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:55 pm

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:00 pm

Sanders Knives wrote:https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/28909-schrade-usa-yellow-8ot-old-timer-stockman-knife-in-box?member_id=51&search=schrade%20yellow&sort=p.date_added&order=DESC

Ah yes...... having that many in stock sorta sets a good price for those...

Thanks!!
::tu::

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby kootenay joe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:02 pm

Part of the 'beauty' of the 2OT is how it feels in hand. It is a wonderful sense of 'just right'. This 2OT has perfect snaps & no play at all. Blades need a skillful sharpening and the master spine at the tip filed down a bit to help re-create a pointy tip. Or leave tip blunt and use the pen blade when you need a sharp point. I think it is great that Mike will be carrying it as a daily user.
kj

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:12 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Part of the 'beauty' of the 2OT is how it feels in hand. It is a wonderful sense of 'just right'. This 2OT has perfect snaps & no play at all. Blades need a skillful sharpening and the master spine at the tip filed down a bit to help re-create a pointy tip. Or leave tip blunt and use the pen blade when you need a sharp point. I think it is great that Mike will be carrying it as a daily user.
kj

Sho 'nuff Roland!!

::super_happy::

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:52 pm

Meridian_Mike wrote:Hey y'all....
I have been hunting for a small hand full of the USA made Old Timer knives lately. First off.... they do come up for auction on ebay from time to time but when they do, the price goes past where I feel comfortable paying before the auction ends.

SO... can you guys give me a fair ball park figure for the few I am still hunting?
I know the price has to be controlled mostly by the scarcity or how many were produced.

Anyway.... I am looking for the following to finish up my collection.

8OTY
34OTY
44OT
49OT
53OTG
98OT
123OT
126OT
and 225OT

I've seen pics of them all so I do know that they exist....LOL.... I guess I just need to try to apprehend these varmints without killing my pocket book.

Thanks for your input everyone!!

Mike

Are you looking for factory condition examples? I have seen most all of these knives at fairly low prices in various conditions. With old timers and uncle henrys there are for the most part enough of them around that you can be patient and wait until a low priced one comes along. Sometimes it may take a while but it usually happens. I think there will still be plenty of ot's and uh's for many years to come, they made a whole bunch.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:07 pm

Well, I'm not too picky about "factory" new looking examples. I would like to find a good example of each that doesn't have too much blade loss. Surface rust or dark spots, I can deal with.
Heck, I enjoy cleaning up knives.

Mike

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:47 pm

That will make the search easier.

If you are looking for an 8OTY and a 34OTY then the 881Y and the 834Y are the same knives but likely easier to find. The yellow old timers were only made in 1990, likely from using leftover yellow handles from the then discontinued 881Y and 834Y, which both had a longer life than the yellow ot's.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:52 pm

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:That will make the search easier.

If you are looking for an 8OTY and a 34OTY then the 881Y and the 834Y are the same knives but likely easier to find. The yellow old timers were only made in 1990, likely from using leftover yellow handles from the then discontinued 881Y and 834Y, which both had a longer life than the yellow ot's.

OK.... thanks for pointing that out Paul.
I wasn't sure about the "OTY's"....

Mike

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:49 pm

Mike, I think you have filled a few off that older list, haven't you?

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:31 pm

tongueriver wrote:Mike, I think you have filled a few off that older list, haven't you?

Yes... I need to revise that list.

I will do so shortly.

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:34 pm

OK.... looks like my list is now down to these......
(I removed the OTYs)

49OT - Rhino....(Similar to the 47OT beast??)
53OTG - Bearhead
98OT - Ramrod
123OT - Pioneer
126OT - Stainless steel Mustang
and 225OT - Son of a Gun

Some of the last #'s above are (as I understand) variations of the Mustang 125OT..... (Correct??)
I think this is correct.... Ever since Christmas and my Christmas time travels and sickness.... I hope I got my list updated correctly.

Mike

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”