GEC 85 Bullet End Jack

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Tsar Bomba

Re: GEC 85 Bullet End Jack

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Finally spiked an 85.
s249847959340461643_p1009_i4_w2049.jpg
Acrylics MIGHT still be available.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tsar Bomba wrote:Finally spiked an 85.

s249847959340461643_p1009_i4_w2049.jpg
Acrylics MIGHT still be available.
Way to go Tony! Looking good! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kennedy knives wrote:Hi Ran a few numbers on 2017 GEC Total on Patterns . want to see while Christy was wanting me to order more than anyone else . I guess she just didn't want to take my order of 400 Cotton samplers said there had to be a least 2000 , don't know ::facepalm::

13 Pattern 515 one blade, 972 two blades, 453 three Blades Total 1998
15 Pattern 551 one blades 79 two blades total 630
25 Pattern 1323 one blades
35 Pattern 3049 two blades
38 Pattern 2347 one blades
48 Pattern 1872 one blades ,1383 two blades Total 3255
54 Pattern 521 one blades, 954 two blades Total 1475
66 Pattern 2412 Three Blades
74 Pattern 1859 one blade
78 Pattern 400 one blade, 900 two blade ,224 three blades Total 1530

This is looking at Pattern #'s total that was listed on the GEC site for 2017 didn't do them all .
Gary
I contacted GEC this month to get an SFO on the schedule for anytime in the future, literally anytime in the next few years. Got turned down and told they aren’t taking any more orders.
Normally in business when something is this hot, the company ramps up production by hiring and training more people and expanding facilities. GEC is going to blunder if they don’t watch out. Someone will see this success, copy it and put the resources behind it to knock them off their perch. That’s what will burst this bubble.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Am I seeing an opening that Queen should have exploited and maybe someone like Canal Street Co-op is in place to jump into?

I'm also noting that some of the "lolly scramble" patterns actually have desirable variations still out there at a couple of the first-run dealers. I'm already having to pick and choose which knives I might get and which I might wait out. Is GEC going "ultra-premium" in more of a Northwoods type direction? Or are they just genuinely out of space on the schedule for a long time?

Should I be worried that GEC won't have the time or staff to do a 2019 AAPK knife? ::paranoid::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "Normally in business when something is this hot, the company ramps up production by hiring and training more people and expanding facilities. GEC is going to blunder if they don’t watch out."
I disagree. Bill Howard, the owner of GEC, is the person we must thank for his vision and determination to make great pocket knives and everyone be as close to perfect as possible. He knows he could make more money by expanding facilities & number of employees. He also knows this could lead to a decline in their very high standards of fit & finish.
Thankfully he chooses instead to continue making the best folding knives possible by continuing to do what they are doing now and have been doing for the last few years because it is working extremely well for his customers.
He could ramp up production by running 2 shifts or getting employees to work overtime. But he doesn't because he very much values and is grateful for the people who are working for him, or more, with him, to create these very fine knives.
It ain't broke, so don't try to fix it. GEC is making a wide variety of traditional patterns and every knife made is close to perfect and Bill Howard is committed to keeping it this way by continuing to do what they are already doing.
We all owe Mr. Howard a great deal of gratitude because he gives us what we most want: a great traditional style pocket knife.
Thank you Bill Howard.
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Kootenay Joe I agree with you total GEC makes the best traditional Pocket knife out there fit & finish there a total package . I apologize for high jacking this tread with my thoughts on production totals . I guess the point I was trying to make is that I was disappointed that there production totals have increased . Which is good for GEC . The bottom line is profit if they don't make a profit then we will have another great American Company go under .
Gary
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Knives Ship Free has 85 salmon Acrylic in
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Knives Ship Free has 85 salmon Acrylic in
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

These acrylics have languished ar KSF for 4 hours now and are still available. What's going on here? ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
a-c

Post by a-c »

Blue Creek Cutlery has a few salmon listed, with pictures.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "These acrylics have languished ar KSF for 4 hours now and are still available. What's going on here?"

I am interested in GEC knives with natural material for handles. Perhaps other regular GEC buyers are also eschewing the synthetics to have the money for 'The Naturals' ?
This said i do have a #66 from some years back with "Tomato Acrylic" handles and it is a knife that 'grabs' you right away.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "These acrylics have languished ar KSF for 4 hours now and are still available. What's going on here?"

I am interested in GEC knives with natural material for handles. Perhaps other regular GEC buyers are also eschewing the synthetics to have the money for 'The Naturals' ?
This said i do have a #66 from some years back with "Tomato Acrylic" handles and it is a knife that 'grabs' you right away.
kj
I agree, natural materials are more of interest to me as well. I thought about buying one of these Salmon acylics over and over yesterday when I saw them in, but just wasn’t taken by them. And I thought I would just wait for something better to come along in a natural material.
Back to what I said about GEC getting knocked off their perch. I agree and am grateful for the knives that they produce. But nothing lasts forever. Sometimes companies can be victims of their own success. Copycats are bound to happen when something is successful. When GEC is creating this much demand and there is this much scarcity of the product, someone w/ deep pockets will see the need and fill it. Plus retail is fickle. I have been watching stocks and companies for nearly 30 years and I can tell you about one company after another that had a product that was hot and scarce and it did not take long for Walmart to sell a cheaper copy. Crocs, Under Armor, Victoria’s Secret, Yankee Candle, Harley Davidson and the list is endless. All are experiencing decline in sales. Either the buyer changed tastes or there were too many cheap copies available.
If GEC were a publicly traded company, I would pass on buying it. I will continue however to buy their knives.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

gsmith7158 wrote:These acrylics have languished ar KSF for 4 hours now and are still available. What's going on here? ::shrug::
You know I was always a hardcore natural material guy. Stag, bone or wood was all I'd look at or consider. But I tell you what these acrylics really grow on ya. I got my first gec acrylic a few years ago and I haven't turned my nose up to them since. If you've never had one give one a try you might be surprised.
Eye Brand Collector
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

The GEC 85 Salmon Acrylic . Very nice. Glad I didn't pass them up ::tu::
Attachments
85 GEC Salmon Acrylic
85 GEC Salmon Acrylic
GEC Salmon S&M ,Case Toothpicks 010.JPG
GEC Salmon S&M ,Case Toothpicks 001.JPG
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

kennedy knives wrote:The GEC 85 Salmon Acrylic . Very nice. Glad I didn't pass them up ::tu::
Very nice!!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:The GEC 85 Salmon Acrylic . Very nice. Glad I didn't pass them up ::tu::
Very nice Gary. It was hard to pass up on that one. But I might have accidentally signed up for 3 different GEC stockman’s. Don’t know because I am on the stand by list for all 3. So I better keep some powder dry for when those are released. I really like the looks of that one though.
SSk
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
But I might have accidentally signed up for 3 different GEC stockman’s. Don’t know because I am on the stand by list for all 3. So I better keep some powder dry for when those are released?
SSk
I may be mistaken (usually am), but wasn't that sign up kinda different? I think they were looking for approximate numbers or something like that. But, if I am wrong, the way their knives have been selling lately, you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back.

NEVER MIND!! I was wrong! I just looked it up, and the wierd one was for the 82's. Sorry.
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

boykinlp wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
But I might have accidentally signed up for 3 different GEC stockman’s. Don’t know because I am on the stand by list for all 3. So I better keep some powder dry for when those are released?
SSk
I may be mistaken (usually am), but wasn't that sign up kinda different? I think they were looking for approximate numbers or something like that. But, if I am wrong, the way their knives have been selling lately, you shouldn't have a problem getting your money back.

NEVER MIND!! I was wrong! I just looked it up, and the wierd one was for the 82's. Sorry.
My mistake was either a slow internet or a problem w/ my iPad. Every time I entered the quantity nothing happened. So I thought maybe it had sold out already, so I picked another handle material, same thing happened. Did that three times before I gave up. Later I got an email telling me I was on stand by for all three. Any time there is strong demand, it seems there are issues like this, I guess their server just isn’t up to the task.
I will gladly take all three, but will probably sell 1 or 2 depending on what I like best, we will see. I probably won’t get any knives. That one did say that everyone was on stand by, which I read after the fact, so who knows.
It will be fun posting pictures of all three if they come. And I will have a chance to make someone else happy by selling them the extras.
SSk
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

I have a 85 Blackwood SFO coming from a " Slipjoint Paradigm" a Facebook group I belong too. A great group of moderators that worked with Mike from CKnet..Alothough I just got lucky and saw the sign up sheet on the FB page by chance. I have never tried any of the dealers early reserves..or the Northwoods scramble. But really looking forward to my first 85 pattern!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I suspect that I am beating a dead horse here but I see that the 85's show being complete on GEC's website but I have not been informed by CK that the allotment has been filled and standbys need not apply. Has anyone gotten a SFO knife from CK yet?
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:I suspect that I am beating a dead horse here but I see that the 85's show being complete on GEC's website but I have not been informed by CK that the allotment has been filled and standbys need not apply. Has anyone gotten a SFO knife from CK yet?

Greg, I have been wondering the answer to that question as well. I would think that the plant would shut down sometime soon for the holidays. At least around here all the auto plants always did shut down for a few weeks toward Christmas. Of course they have closed all those plants and the jobs moved to Mexico years ago so maybe GEC is still planning on running instead of closing early for the year? Don’t know the answer to that one either. I would sure like to know if I have any of these 85’s coming. How does CK handle that when you are on stand by? Do they let you know or it just hangs out there indefinitely?
SSk
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I suspect that I am beating a dead horse here but I see that the 85's show being complete on GEC's website but I have not been informed by CK that the allotment has been filled and standbys need not apply. Has anyone gotten a SFO knife from CK yet?

Greg, I have been wondering the answer to that question as well. I would think that the plant would shut down sometime soon for the holidays. At least around here all the auto plants always did shut down for a few weeks toward Christmas. Of course they have closed all those plants and the jobs moved to Mexico years ago so maybe GEC is still planning on running instead of closing early for the year? Don’t know the answer to that one either. I would sure like to know if I have any of these 85’s coming. How does CK handle that when you are on stand by? Do they let you know or it just hangs out there indefinitely?
SSk
Mark they did let me know on the rotten banana bone 85 that the allotment had been filled and I wouldn't be offered one with my Stand by reservation but I'm not certain if they always do that.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I've also noticed that there appears to be a difference in GEC's list of handle materials for this SFO and Ck's original early reserve list. The African blackwood and the pioneer bone were new.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ok, I'm really getting antsy over this 85 situation. The GEC website shows that it is complete, but no word from CK. The last time an anomaly like this occurred, boom there was a Northwoods release. ::paranoid::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"boom there was a Northwoods release."
They really need a Home Run, not another "Ho Hum". Please bury the Bohncliffe.
EO LB Stabber Jack with mammoth would make for a good 're-birth' of 'The Best'.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”