GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:02 am

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here is an auction w/ 6 almost 7 days left to go and it’s already up to 500 dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1-60 ... SwJ8hcxg~d
I find it amazing that an acrylic handled knife would command such a high price. It is a beautiful knife though.
SSk


Who are these people that are willing to spend or are spending so much on gec's? Holy cow.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

User avatar
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 7918
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 pm
Location: Marietta, Ga. 35% of the time

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby gsmith7158 » Wed May 08, 2019 3:27 am

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here is an auction w/ 6 almost 7 days left to go and it’s already up to 500 dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1-60 ... SwJ8hcxg~d
I find it amazing that an acrylic handled knife would command such a high price. It is a beautiful knife though.
SSk


Who are these people that are willing to spend or are spending so much on gec's? Holy cow.

Just not my cup of tea dropping that much on an acrylic handle. I don't think that will stand the test of time.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8444
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby kootenay joe » Wed May 08, 2019 4:48 am

It takes at least 2 people bidding to drive the price up, now at $510, for a Grinling whittler, 381315 with "Kryptonite acrylic" handles, which is green with black streaks. So more than one person thinks it is worth this much. I think it is a 'need' to win the competition rather than just really liking the knife. Obtaining GEC knives has become a competitive 'sport'. Once a few of the competitors move on to something else, the secondary market prices will drop and this will make others re-consider and then prices plummet, all the way to the original price, or less.
My sense is that this is coming sooner rather than 'later'. Sooner meaning next 2-3 years. Might even be at market peak right now.
kj

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 3358
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:39 pm

kootenay joe wrote:It takes at least 2 people bidding to drive the price up, now at $510, for a Grinling whittler, 381315 with "Kryptonite acrylic" handles, which is green with black streaks. So more than one person thinks it is worth this much. I think it is a 'need' to win the competition rather than just really liking the knife. Obtaining GEC knives has become a competitive 'sport'. Once a few of the competitors move on to something else, the secondary market prices will drop and this will make others re-consider and then prices plummet, all the way to the original price, or less.
My sense is that this is coming sooner rather than 'later'. Sooner meaning next 2-3 years. Might even be at market peak right now.
kj


I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people are paying up to 5x, 6x or more of what these gec's cost when you could get them new. These are not custom knives but people are paying that price. It's nuts!
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 8444
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby kootenay joe » Wed May 08, 2019 2:19 pm

Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj

kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 724
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:37 pm
Location: westminster sc
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby kennedy knives » Wed May 08, 2019 6:15 pm

::rotflol:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe wrote:Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj

User avatar
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4761
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Ohio, along the river
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby peanut740 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:06 pm

kootenay joe wrote:Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj

Roland you ain't alone.A lot of so called experts are on that boat taking on water also.
Roger

User avatar
BAX229
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby BAX229 » Mon May 13, 2019 4:01 am

Just did an eBay sweep for GECs...these prices are crazy! 200-300% mark up on knives that are still available through dealers! I understand supply/demand, and that the super rare models get those prices, but come on. Gonna stick to new releases.

User avatar
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:32 am
Location: Indiana
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby Sharpnshinyknives » Mon May 13, 2019 11:40 am

The Green acrylic knife sold for 530. Just to keep track. Still can’t imagine why?
SSk
SSk (Mark)
“As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.” Proverbs


HighPlains
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby HighPlains » Mon May 13, 2019 2:07 pm



Outrageous Buy Now prices are meaningless. It’s just someone fishing for a dupe. Maybe they get lucky occasionally.

Only completed auction listings give a sense of the state of the market.

As for the green acrylic whittler, I don’t like acrylic scales either. But some guys do. Dead skunk comes to mind.

But more to the point, that is a very scarce knife. GEC whittlers in general are fairly scarce and I believe the 38 was made only in 2015. And that color of acrylic is the third-lowest production total of the whole run. So for someone who really prizes whittlers and really prizes scarcity, this is a valuable knife.

And remember you can’t get these at retail easily. Especially if you joined the GEC game late. I am a relative new-comer and after having bought quite a few GECs I’ve found that I really only get super excited about old, stiff 23s and 73s. So yes, I have paid well above retail sometimes. And I can tell you I don’t regret it. And if I do, then that knife goes back onto the market. And if I take a bath on a knife, that’s just part of the game. As KJ always says, you can’t judge a knife by a picture. You simply have to get them in hand to know if you like them. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.

User avatar
BAX229
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:09 pm
Contact:

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Postby BAX229 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:22 pm

HighPlains wrote:


Outrageous Buy Now prices are meaningless. It’s just someone fishing for a dupe. Maybe they get lucky occasionally.

Only completed auction listings give a sense of the state of the market.

As for the green acrylic whittler, I don’t like acrylic scales either. But some guys do. Dead skunk comes to mind.

But more to the point, that is a very scarce knife. GEC whittlers in general are fairly scarce and I believe the 38 was made only in 2015. And that color of acrylic is the third-lowest production total of the whole run. So for someone who really prizes whittlers and really prizes scarcity, this is a valuable knife.

And remember you can’t get these at retail easily. Especially if you joined the GEC game late. I am a relative new-comer and after having bought quite a few GECs I’ve found that I really only get super excited about old, stiff 23s and 73s. So yes, I have paid well above retail sometimes. And I can tell you I don’t regret it. And if I do, then that knife goes back onto the market. And if I take a bath on a knife, that’s just part of the game. As KJ always says, you can’t judge a knife by a picture. You simply have to get them in hand to know if you like them. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.


Ya, I get how it works. A knife is only worth what someone will pay (even if it's $400, for a $100 knife)


Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cudgee, Sven34 and 11 guests