REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

This place is specifically allocated for discussing and showing off those knives from areas of the world other than the United States.
Post Reply
User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:46 am

I got this knife as part of a two knife lot that I purchased. This wasn't the knife that I bought the lot for. But even though one of the blades is broken off, I still think that it's a fine looking knife. There are two tang stamps on the one, good blade. They read REX (over) SOLINGEN and SOLINGEN (over) GERMANY. There is nothing on the shield. There is nothing on the tang of the broken blade. The knife measures 2 5/8 inches closed and 4 1/2 inches with the remaining blade opened. I think that I've exhausted every resource that I can think of, but I can't find one bit of information on this knife.
Any of you European/Foreign knife experts have any information on this knife?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (55.38 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.87 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (49.72 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (45.49 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.49 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (39.79 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (41.83 KiB) Viewed 279 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (47.13 KiB) Viewed 279 times
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
rangerbluedog
Posts: 3536
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:42 pm
Contact:

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by rangerbluedog » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 am

In Anthony Carter's book, German Knife and Sword Makers, REX is listed as a trademark used by Wilhem Kober & Co.
The REX trademark was registered in 1901 and 1906.
Company ceased operation in 1945.
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9590
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by kootenay joe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 pm

The bone jigging does not look like vintage German to me. However no one would re-handle a lower end knife with broken & short blades.
I have not seen "Rex" before so likely very few ended up in North America.
kj

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:00 pm

rangerbluedog wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:48 am
In Anthony Carter's book, German Knife and Sword Makers, REX is listed as a trademark used by Wilhem Kober & Co.
The REX trademark was registered in 1901 and 1906.
Company ceased operation in 1945.
Thank you Rick. ::handshake::
kootenay joe wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 1:28 pm
The bone jigging does not look like vintage German to me. However no one would re-handle a lower end knife with broken & short blades.
I have not seen "Rex" before so likely very few ended up in North America.
kj
Thank you Roland. ::handshake::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:11 pm

New_Windsor_NY wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:46 am
I got this knife as part of a two knife lot that I purchased. This wasn't the knife that I bought the lot for. But even though one of the blades is broken off, I still think that it's a fine looking knife. There are two tang stamps on the one, good blade. They read REX (over) SOLINGEN and SOLINGEN (over) GERMANY. There is nothing on the shield. There is nothing on the tang of the broken blade. The knife measures 2 5/8 inches closed and 4 1/2 inches with the remaining blade opened. I think that I've exhausted every resource that I can think of, but I can't find one bit of information on this knife.
Any of you European/Foreign knife experts have any information on this knife?
I was able to find these tidbits of information this morning. The information below is from "GERMAN TOOL AND BLADE MAKERS - A guide to manufacturers and distributors, their trademarks and brand names, 1850-2000." By John Walter.
https://www.archivingindustry.com/cutle ... arks-1.pdf
The investigation continues.........

Rex (1900, no. 45309): König & Co., Köln. Registry class: 9b. Style: block.
Rex (1903, no. 59751): Biernatzki & Co., Hamburg. Registry class: 9b. Style: roman.
REX: Ernst Scharff, Kober & Co
REX: Wilhelm Kober & Co
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9590
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by kootenay joe » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:05 pm

Skip does it say if "Rex" is a manufacturer or distributor ?
Even back in 1900 many German knife manufacturers contracted out some of their knives, in part or in whole, so even with a manufacturer's marking an old German knife might not have been made by that manufacturer.
kj

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:13 pm

kootenay joe wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:05 pm
Skip does it say if "Rex" is a manufacturer or distributor ?
Even back in 1900 many German knife manufacturers contracted out some of their knives, in part or in whole, so even with a manufacturer's marking an old German knife might not have been made by that manufacturer.
kj
Roland, the last 4 lines of my previous post is everything and all it says in the book. It comes under the heading "GERMAN BLADESMITHS - Names and marks." If you click on the link I provided, maybe you can figure it out. The link is safe, it takes you directly to the book.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

User avatar
treefarmer
Posts: 7865
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:53 am
Location: Florida Panhandle(LA-Lower Alabama)

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by treefarmer » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm

Skip,
Not responding as an expert but we do have a REX in our pile.
Here is a REX CUT CORP over Germany whittler:
006.JPG
This knife was given to my wife several years ago by T.J.Murphy, a long time AAPK member now deceased. He gave it to her because all three blades are marked with her name, JOY. The main clip is marked JOY 703 on the mark side, the pile side is stamped REX CUT CORP over Germany, the smaller blades are stamped JOY, without the 703 but with the REX stamp on the opposite side.
mark side main blade
mark side main blade
pile side main blade
pile side main blade
small blades showing both stamps
small blades showing both stamps
TJ sais he was a bit disappointed in the knife because of the hafting so he sent it to Miss Joy. This knife doesn't appear to be very old.
Sure miss his interesting posts!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

User avatar
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 2344
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:50 pm
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:45 pm

treefarmer wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:21 pm
Skip,
Not responding as an expert but we do have a REX in our pile.
Here is a REX CUT CORP over Germany whittler
This knife was given to my wife several years ago by T.J.Murphy, a long time AAPK member now deceased. He gave it to her because all three blades are marked with her name, JOY. The main clip is marked JOY 703 on the mark side, the pile side is stamped REX CUT CORP over Germany, the smaller blades are stamped JOY, without the 703 but with the REX stamp on the opposite side.
TJ sais he was a bit disappointed in the knife because of the hafting so he sent it to Miss Joy. This knife doesn't appear to be very old.
Sure miss his interesting posts!
Treefarmer
Thank you for posting it Philip. ::handshake:: I've basically reached a dead end with researching mine. I'm just going to accept that it's 100+ years old and be satisfied with that. I can find no mention of your tang stamp in the book that I supplied a link to. Maybe someone else will come along with information on your knife. I would agree that it doesn't appear to be "that" old. But then again, looks are deceiving. Thanks again. ::tu::
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9590
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: REX Solingen-Solingen Germany Pocket Knife Info Please

Post by kootenay joe » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:03 am

That is a very interesting "Rex" whittler. I wonder why all blades are marked "JOY" ? It could be as old as early 1900's. If stainless, blades would likely be marked as such.
kj

Post Reply

Return to “European And Other Foreign Manufactured Knives”