Looking for some feedback

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
OldToenailCollector

Looking for some feedback

Post by OldToenailCollector » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:44 pm

The rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated : :lol: I am alive and well. And have come 'round to visit you guys here at AAPK. Hope all are well.

I am working on a project (yes, another project... :wink: ) I know you guys think all I do is work on projects and don't do much knife collecting, BUT..... Ok, it is true, I tend to work on a lot of projects... But actually I tried to buy 5 knives today, but the guy had already sold them :( And much to your surprise, they weren't toenails :shock:

I'm trying to take a informal survey and thought you might help me.

Here is my question: I'd love to know what your favorite pattern is...and why (and this project has nothing to do with elephant toenails, per se).

Thanks for your participation. I didn't want to do a poll because I only could have 10 choices and didn't know all the pattern names you'd want to use.

Please one pattern per person.
Scott
http://www.elephanttoenails.com
http://www.iKnifeCollector.com

...having more fun than I did as a kid collecting rocks!

jonet143

Re: Looking for some feedback

Post by jonet143 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:52 pm

hey scott, my most favorite pattern is the jack, with all the variations included. (hard to choose)
johnnie f 1949

on the cutting edge is sometimes not the place to be.
please support our troops - past and present
if not a member...join the NKCA! they're on our side.

Rupe

Post by Rupe » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Favorite patern: Full size Stockman (4" +/- 1/8")

Why: Its the knife I bought my grandfather when I was 16 years old. When he passed away my grandmother gave it back to me. Apparently he liked his old half whittler Case 6208 more because the 8OT was still in the box ::tounge:: .

I found the patern facinating as a teen and still love it today.

Chris

Five Points John

Post by Five Points John » Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:54 pm

It a tie between trappers and stockman. I've always carried a stockman in the 4 inch range sence I was big enough to carry a knife. But when I started trapping I carry a trapper during season. I like the way it layes in my pocket and of course it it's great for skinning. But durring season I miss the sheep's foot. OH don't make me chose :oops: ! It's like asking which one of kids is my favorite ::shrug:: . John

survivor711

Post by survivor711 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:08 am

I have a strong fascination with the Trapper basically because of it's simplicity. I also like it because my Dad used it practically every day and I would watch him sharpen it on occasion with a well worn black Arkansas Surgical Whetrock and finish it of with a leather strop (The same one my Mother would use on me once in a while). Now with those memories you would think I would have an adversion to the connecting pieces but no, I learned years ago, probably about ten years after I got those lessons with the strop that it wasn't all that bad.

My Father was a rancher and was probably one of the best horsemen in Texas and was a member of the RCA (Rodeo Cowboy's Assciation). He taught me an awful lot in the 8 years I got to spend with him and I watched him use that knife many nights gutting and skinning deer for all the hunters we brought back in from their evening's hunt. He used that Spey blade on many a young sheep and goat as well. He also used it on a young colt once when I was five years old and gave me the two objects that turned the colt into a gelding and said "Son if you go plant these over in the field there and water 'em every day, you may just get a Pony soon". I watered those things for a week or so until Mom asked me what I was doing every day with that bucket of water! Well I told her and I believe Mom had a talk with Dad cause it wasn't too long before I got a Shetland Pony and there was no need for me to water that ground anymore.

Anyhow, I am fifty plus years now and can always think back to that Yellow handled Case knife and the smell of leather Dad cut making reins or cinches for the horses or my first deer we took with his 30-30 Winchester and field dressed when I was 7 years old. So, it was a plain 'ole knife, a yellow trapper, my Dad carried with him every day that has caused me to procure a hundred or so for myself. I have made three pretty special Trappers for three pretty special daughters and although they won't have the memories that I have of my Dad, I trust they may show them once in awhile and let others know that there Dad was really crazy about knives for some reason, especially this trapper model!

Thanks for Asking,
Survivor711
Survivor711

lenny357
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by lenny357 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:32 am

great story Survivor711

Single blade barlow, jack knife.. well really any single blade knife 3 to 4 inches closed (pocket friendly)
Why ?? I end up only using one blade all the time on a 2 bladed knife, never saw a need for 2 blades.

Hukk

Post by Hukk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:16 am

BARLOW! ::ds:: I am picky though it must be between 3-3/8 inches and 4 inches though I favor 3-1/2 and 3-7/8 inches. I'll pass on the GEC Barlow even though I'd looked forward to that model a long time - only 3 inches long. ::td::

I like a 2 blade with a sheepsfoot as the primary and a pen as a secondary blade. I like the long front bolster because there is so much you can do with it, especially if the blade and bolsters are of pattern welded steel.
Hukk

jfarmer

Post by jfarmer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:04 am

Thats a tough question. For years my favorite pattern has been the Texas Toothpick but lately I have became partial to the Whittler. Especially if it has a Wharncliff master blade. I guess I choose the 3 blade whittler for my favorite pattern.

James

Dave O

Post by Dave O » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:20 am

The one that is in my pocket!

Pen & Toothpick

Post by Pen & Toothpick » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:45 am

I like Jacks and Whittlers.......................but I collect Pen Knives. Maybe it's the history of them.

TM

Post by TM » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:05 pm

Lately my favorite pattern is the german style copperhead, like the ones made by Boker, Eye, Bulldog etc.

Knifekid

Post by Knifekid » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:42 pm

My favorite is the Muskrat...my 2nd is a Muskrat...my third is, you guessed it a Muskrat ::ds::
Perry Miller
http://www.spaceportcutlery.com/
President Tuna Valley Cutlery Co
Historian for Randall Made Knives

bkjenk

Post by bkjenk » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:24 pm

My favorite is the stockman pattern,it is my grandfathers favorite and since he got me interested in knives it it now my favorite pattern too.

keithlong

Post by keithlong » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:06 pm

My favorite pattern is the congress. However I have been doing a little carving with a whittler pattern lately, and the more I carve with it the more I really like it. The whittler has a wharnclif blade on it and it is handy for carving. So now I guess I will have to try and get a couple more of them.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife

edgy46

Post by edgy46 » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:05 pm

Whittlers for me.
Bill

Return to “General Knife Discussion”