The Missing IMG Button

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Missing IMG Button

Post by orvet »

I suppose an explanation is in order for the missing IMG button.

Earlier this week Bryan removed the IMB button from the tools available when you are making a post.
It was discussed among the Admin Team, (or part of them/us, I don’t recall who all was in on the discussion), a few days ago.

The reason for the removal is that many members, for whatever reason, post their pictures from image hosting services like InkFrog, ImageShack, PhotoBucket, etc. Invariably when folks leave AAPK, or change image hosting services, or cancel their account the pictures are lost and no longer show up in AAPK. This is a problem when someone is using AAPK to research knives, knife patterns or other information about a knife.

AAPK has always hosted our own images. Bryan assures us that he has plenty of storage space for all the images, so he has disabled the IMG button.
I do miss the extra emoticons as I think they add humor and emotion to posts, but I would rather have knife pics than emoticons.

AAPK is rather special in several ways:
-We do not require a paid membership for you to be able to post images directly to the forums.
-We don’t even HAVE paid memberships; everything is free on AAPK except for the stores.
-We do not kick people off the forum for posting links to ebay auctions that are still in progress. We know people are looking for rare knives and we share info on auctions among members when we see one for sale. ::nod::
-We allow trades betweens members and provide a forum for that and don’t get our skivvies in a wad if someone would rather pay money than trade for a knife. Though we have had to put the brakes on a couple newly enrolled members who thought the Trading & Advertising forum was their personal store. ::uc::
-We do not censure members of they get a bit off topic in a thread, some of the threads are just too doggone funny! ::rotflol::

-I am sure our members could add more to this list, but I think you get the point. AAPK is a bit different in a good way than most other knife forums.

Bryan has provided us with a free (cost wise) knife forum and given us a lot of freedom within that forum, but probably the most unique thing about AAPK is the people who are members. They are some of the friendliest most caring people I have met and they have a lot of knowledge about knives and are willing to share it! They are patient with new members when they ask a question and are willing to give them answers or direct them to the right person or place to find that answer. I think AAPK is the best forum on the web for encouraging new collectors in the hobby of knife collecting!

Yes, Bryan has provided us with a unique place to play with sharp instruments, but it is YOU, THE AAPK MEMBERS, that make AAPK the unique forum that it is.

So, I will miss the little extra emoticons that JerryD, myself & others love to add to some of our posts, but I think it is important for research purposes for all knife collectors to have the pictures available to future generations of collectors.

Thank you all for being the BEST KNIFE FORUM MEMBERS on the web! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: The Missing IMG Button

Post by stockman »

Well Said Dale!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

And life goes on.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Test for posting a pic
MVC-077F.JPG
So, did we even need the IMG button in the first place?? Was the IMG button only for image hosts such as PhotoBucket??
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

T.J. you could pick an image off a web site without going through all the trouble of saving it to your computer, changing it to a .jpg if needed (other extensions like .gif, etc worked with the IMG button) and uploading it to AAPK. It was great for a greater choice of emoticons because it just stuck it there and it looked like you had picked it off the list to the left. I'll miss it because it was a feature that occasionally made my life a little more simple but gone is gone so I'm not going to cry over it. Much. ::tear:: ::tear::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Capt. Farrel

Post by Capt. Farrel »

Not a problem Dale! I just used a picture hosting service for so many years now because all the other forums don´t want you to upload your pictures directly to them. So AAPK IS VERY different indeed!
This is a fine forum with a load of friendly and helpful members. I really appreciate that we are allowed to trade or sell or buy knives here which is surely a lot safer that the Bay.
I must also say that AAPK put´s our own forums here in Germany to shame. I´d rather be here on AAPK! ::tu::

Keep up the good work! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Frank

OMG, it´s knives again!
wlf

Post by wlf »

I like the pictures loaded from your computer,you can really enlarge and view the knives under a microscope.Unfortunately,I've found a few cracks I didn't know I had.

I appreciate and enjoy the community here.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

I have never used the IMG button.I always load from my computer.I found it very easy to download straight fom my computer and I thank AAPK for that.
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
wlf

Post by wlf »

Shearer wrote:I have never used the IMG button.I always load from my computer.I found it very easy to download straight fom my computer and I thank AAPK for that.
Grant
I agree.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Very well said as always Dale!

Did not affect me but even if it did, very small sacrifice in the grand scheme of things as far as the benefits the forum has to offer. Great point as I have numerous times found a good thread only to see the pictures referenced in the thread gone.

This is a great place to come and discuss knives, make new friends and unwind abit for myself at least. I know Brian does so much behind the scenes to keep this forum running that we all obviously enjoy. We probably have no idea what it takes to keep the site running and for FREE! to members and non members. Bryan and the mods can do whatever they want as far as I am concerned. Members here have a lot of latitude as to what can be posted or said where same content on others sites would lead to a ban or verbal slap on the hand.

That being said, I certainly hope that the missing button and associated functionality brought only questions and not complaints. Maybe an "OMG, my IMG button is missing" button might help for any possible complainers.

Kudos to especially Bryan, the mods and all the members for making this forum happen.

Regards, Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
Dave O

Post by Dave O »

I didn't know what it was, so therefore do not miss it either!
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hey Dale, sorry you had to be the bearer of bad news about the [img] functionality. Thank you for taking time to explain things.

I intended to post something earlier, but as some of you know, we had a vulnerability exploited in the chat software that has lead to some scrambling to secure that back up and re-open it ::cr::

Anyway... Regarding the smileys, I'm thinking I could probably find a work around to allow them. Not 100% sure I can get to it real soon, but I'll try.

Our main goal in doing this is to preserve all of the knife images for quality of content which gets lost over time as Dale has pointed out. I think most inconveniences caused can be minimized.

Also, if anyone has smilies they might like for us to add to those currently available through AAPK, please email them to me ... bryan@allaboutpocketknives.com

Best,
Bryan
junebug

Post by junebug »

I AM A SMILEY ICON USER....... :oops: ::facepalm:: LOLOLOLOL

I USE THIS SITE......maybe some will see a few they like????

http://smileyicons.net/smiley/Actions.html

I WILL EMAIL A COUPLE OF MA favs ::super_happy::

thanks for all the hard works guys...and all yer TIME! ::handshake:: ::handshake::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Robert

Post by Robert »

Funny I get censored ::tu:: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No but this is a great site one of the best forums around
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Robert wrote:Funny I get censored
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No Robert.JPG
No Robert.JPG (22.6 KiB) Viewed 2661 times

Robert -- I'll size that and send it to you. You can use it as your new avatar.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I must admit.....I did come a little unglued when I went to click the image button and it wasn't there...... ::paranoid::

But I'm recovering ok....
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

TripleF wrote:I must admit.....I did come a little unglued .
Scott, Scott, Scott. Buddy. Pal. Please don't lay these temptations on my door step. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Robert

Post by Robert »

jerryd6818 wrote:
Robert wrote:Funny I get censored
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
No Robert.JPG

Robert -- I'll size that and send it to you. You can use it as your new avatar.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Jerry I love it lolololo
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Hey gang,

I've got mixed emotions about this. I've always "shared" my pics and used the forum's bandwidth very little. One of the reasons is that the pics are mine. Once they're uploaded to the forum, I have no more control. Not that big a deal with knife pics, but I do have some other content that will not be loaded to the forum's server.

I still love the site and the people even though i'm not around as much as I used to be. This is without a doubt the friendliest knife site in the world.

Willie
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Owd Wullie wrote:
I still love the site and the people even though i'm not around as much as I used to be. This is without a doubt the friendliest knife site in the world.

Willie
You are ALWAYS welcome here Willie, as you well know! 8)
Life happens to all of us and things come up that are more important in our lives than AAPK.
I understand, it happens to everyone from now & then.
See you next time you check in,; I always enjoy your posts! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

orvet wrote:
Owd Wullie wrote:

Willie
You are ALWAYS welcome here Willie, as you well know! 8)
Life happens to all of us and things come up that are more important in our lives than AAPK.
I understand, it happens to everyone from now & then.
See you next time you check in,; I always enjoy your posts! ::tu::
Ditto! What Dale said! ::tu:: ::tu::
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
jon_slider

Post by jon_slider »

how do I delete a photo I uploaded to aapk?

how do I upload a photo from a web page to aapk?

how do I quote a post that has a photo?

how do I edit or delete an old post of mine?
Haters Hate to COEXIST
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

jon_slider wrote:how do I delete a photo I uploaded to aapk? You can't. Maybe a Mod can, you'll have to ask them if they have that capability.

how do I upload a photo from a web page to aapk? You can't. That feature has been disabled.

how do I quote a post that has a photo? The same way you quote any post, with the Quote button in the lower right corner of the post but since the IMG feature has been disabled, don't expect any pictures in the post to show up.

how do I edit or delete an old post of mine? Edit with the Edit button in the lower right corner of the post. Delete the post with the X button in the lower right corner of the post. Editing is a capability that is time sensitive and I don't know how long before you can't edit the post anymore. You can delete your post until someone posts after you, then the X button disappears and after that, only a Mod can delete the post. Same way with Editing the post. Once the Editing time has passed the Edit button will disappear and after that only a Mod (or Administrator of course) can edit your post.

Mods please correct any misinformation I might have passed on here.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

jon_slider wrote:how do I delete a photo I uploaded to aapk?
After 48 hours you cannot delete a photo you uploaded.
jon_slider wrote:how do I upload a photo from a web page to aapk?
You need to copy the picture to your computer or disk and then upload it here.
jon_slider wrote:how do I quote a post that has a photo?
The text will quote but the pictures would have to be uploaded.
jon_slider wrote:how do I edit or delete an old post of mine?
Same thing, after 48 hours you cannot delete or edit the text of a post.
AAPK Janitor
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
jon_slider wrote:how do I delete a photo I uploaded to aapk?
After 48 hours you cannot delete a photo you uploaded.
Ahh. Because you can delete a picture while in Edit mode.

Thanks Dimitri. 48 hours is the magic time constraint. Good to know.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”