New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Whether we like them or loath them, Chinese manufactured knives have found their way into collections of all sorts across the entire globe. The intent of this forum is to offer a place where AAPK members can discuss the knives and not the politics.
Louisville.Boy1947

New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by Louisville.Boy1947 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:07 am

Just caught a video on YouTube of the new Rough Ryder Reserve knive RRR001 thru RRR003....carrying a hefty price of $39 thru $59. Anyone else seen this ? Not presently in stock but apparently will be available in the near future. Any takers when they become available?

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Rough Ryder Reserve knifes to be available at SMKW

Post by edge213 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:09 am

No way for me.
They are fine for$8-$10, but that's it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:10 am

I haven't seen the video yet so maybe that will change my mind after I watch it.

Until then my thoughts are that the price defeats the purpose of the Rough Ryder brand.

I will check out the video though.
Rick T.

WTB: 2018 AAPK Club Knife.
viewtopic.php?f=26&p=857711#p857711

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 1:51 am

I watched the video and although I'm slightly impressed, it still wasn't enough to convince me to get one. The fit & finish does look nice but I question the authenticity of D2 steel coming out of China. I'd rather they kept the price down and used the same steel they use on the regular line.

I own several China made knives designed and sold by A.G. Russell. I don't mind paying his price for those because he uses stainless steel liners instead of brass and he incorporates a stop pin to eliminate the risk of blade rap. If Rough Ryder did just one of those things I might consider that Kayak. If they did both I probably would get on the notification list and buy one when they're released.

I see that one of the commenters pointed out that the first knife (One Arm Trapper?) has a dent in the edge caused by blade rap. I didn't see that until I went back and looked but sure enough, it's there just as big as you please.

I applaud SMKW for their efforts. I really do but I'm just not interested. I need a little more for those prices under this brand.
Rick T.

cody6268

Post by cody6268 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:15 am

At first I scoffed, but I have to admit, I like these patterns. The Easy Open will be mine, but SMKW is showing out of stock on all three models.

https://www.smkw.com/catalogsearch/resu ... er+reserve

These days, the prices on Chinese knives are going up and up. I've seen them from companies like Real Steel which charge prices akin to USA Benchmades, Spydercos, and ZT.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:39 am

These have not been released yet. SMKW has a habit of putting knives on the website prior to release.

In the video the narrator keeps emphasizing the excellent fit & finish of this Reserve line. It's obviously being used as a selling point. In my opinion, the regular Rough Ryder knives already have excellent fit & finish and they are much less expensive. The only thing these really have to offer that the regular line doesn't is unique designs (which is actually pretty cool) and D2 steel.
Rick T.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 2:40 am

I like the RR's I have, but I sure hope that this is not the direction the company is going. I just don't think those prices are right.
David R
Senior Chief U.S. Navy (Ret)
DFW Airport (Ret)
Personal Gallery: https://www.davidsblades.com/

Prayer is Service to one another, Prayer is Obedience and Communication with God, and Evidence of a right relationship with God, Pray each day.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 am

The RR's i have bought, all under $20 have very good fit and finish, perfect blade action and very sharp blades that edge hold for more than one whitetail field dressing & skinning. The $50 RR's are not going to be any better. If they are going to be made in a different factory they might be not as good as the RR's from 5-10 years ago.
The thing to know about folding knives from China is that quality and price are not necessarily connected.
Shop by brands and find out which ones consistently send you the best knives. For tactical style the SanRenMu 710 for $10 was as good as my Small Sebenza that cost ~ $360 (?) Other more expensive brands were not as good. The SRM knives have very smooth action, you feel the zero friction smoothness as you open a blade. They are so finely made. But i have not bought any for years so i do not know if they still manufacture to this very high standard.
Do not assume that a more expensive Chinese knife will be better than a less expensive one. It could be worse. Buy a bunch of China knives, all different brands and see for yourself. Most will be good knives and a few will be exceptionally fine and these best ones might be the least expensive
kj

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:10 pm

A $50.00 Rough Ryder?
Not me!
Tim

cody6268

Post by cody6268 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:16 pm

kootenay joe wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:44 am
The RR's i have bought, all under $20 have very good fit and finish, perfect blade action and very sharp blades that edge hold for more than one whitetail field dressing & skinning. The $50 RR's are not going to be any better. If they are going to be made in a different factory they might be not as good as the RR's from 5-10 years ago.
The thing to know about folding knives from China is that quality and price are not necessarily connected.
Shop by brands and find out which ones consistently send you the best knives. For tactical style the SanRenMu 710 for $10 was as good as my Small Sebenza that cost ~ $360 (?) Other more expensive brands were not as good. The SRM knives have very smooth action, you feel the zero friction smoothness as you open a blade. They are so finely made. But i have not bought any for years so i do not know if they still manufacture to this very high standard.
Do not assume that a more expensive Chinese knife will be better than a less expensive one. It could be worse. Buy a bunch of China knives, all different brands and see for yourself. Most will be good knives and a few will be exceptionally fine and these best ones might be the least expensive
kj
I have the hunting camo handle/black blade 7010, and it is very high quality. Actually better than a CRKT that cost double.

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 pm

If anyone can compare their experience with the "D2" in Chinese SMKW knives to the D2 in a U.S. brand, please do. Young fellas who own very few knives and take those that they own to work every day are in a better position to acquire experience than a retired collector who doesn't put much back yard duty on any single knife. I bought SMKW recently introduced black Micarta D2 Marbles slip joints but they just arrived so I can only comment on their fit and finish. Blade polish is pretty darn good for under $20. My worst complaint is that when closed the Sowbelly Stockman's blades are tight against each other so they are going to acquire rub marks pretty quick. Despite that I'll probably buy a second one. I have no reason to believe the Marbles are made in a different factory than Rough Ryders. Even if they where, the rolls of strip steel that are fed int the robotic manufacturing machine probably would come from the same outside source.

Rough Ryder brown stag bone is more attractive "stag" than a some of my knives with real stag have. If SMKW combines it with D2 I'd happily pay a premium for the combination.

Edit to add a comment after looking at the RR Reserve knives on SMKW site. For under $20 SMKW Marbles knives have the same black canvas Micarta and D2 tool steel blades with deep swedging, half stops and match strike pulls. Other than different patters and possibly better fitting, what paying three times the price for RR Reserve knives will get you is the Marble's blade and bolster mirror polish down graded to satin finish. It's going to take consistent customer praise of better fitting in the RR Reserve knives to make the line sell well enough for it to continue.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:53 pm

In my opinion, it's a test run to see if the market will buy a more expensive RR. If I am correct, I hope the experiment falls flat on it's face.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage » Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:49 pm

I really dislike the trend toward using more and more expensive blade steels in pocket knives. Granted D2 is not "super-steel", but the entire concept is annoying. I think it is a complete waste of money to spend 4-5X more for a knife with super-steel. I see it as marketing department BS. Is a super-steel "superior" - sure. Do I *need* that marginal superiority in my pocket knives? Heck no. It's just another case of "mine is bigger than yours" - just like pixel count in digital cameras and 0-60 times in cars. If I need to spend all day cutting through jungle vines, I'm not going to be using my mini trapper pocket knife!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:53 pm
In my opinion, it's a test run to see if the market will buy a more expensive RR. If I am correct, I hope the experiment falls flat on it's face.
Me too, Jerry.
If it's a success, we can probably say goodbye to the $15-$20 Rough Ryders.
Tim

cody6268

Post by cody6268 » Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:24 pm

Modern Slip Joints wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:48 pm
If anyone can compare their experience with the "D2" in Chinese SMKW knives to the D2 in a U.S. brand, please do.
Taiwanese-made First Tactical "Krait Spear" in D2. Chipped when breaking down boxes (hit copper staple, which should not have hurt it). Didn't hold edge as well as expected, and it was a new knife. American-made Benchmade Bone Collector Mini in CPM D2. Bought used from here, definitely saw a lot of use before I got it. Still pretty danged sharp. I've used it hard, and on abrasive materials. Still really sharp. D2 period is tough to resharpen. I'm still working on getting a usable edge on my Queen Railsplitter.

I think Chinese D2 is no where near American D2.

Return to “Chinese Factory Manufactured Knives”