AJ Jordan - Nautilus Pen Knife

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

AJ Jordan - Nautilus Pen Knife

Post by LongBlade »

AJ Jordan was an import company (1871-1929) in St. Louis, Missouri founded by Andrew J. Jordan. Though Jordan imported many of his knives and razors from Germany to his store in St Louis, he started his own cutlery factory in Sheffield in 1885. It was first located on Radford Street and subsequently moved to the larger East India Works in Baker Hill where he employed 120 workers by the late 1880s. By 1900 the factory moved to an even larger site in Furnival Street. All the cutlery from Sheffield was shipped to the retail showrooms in St Louis where there was a total floor space of one acre between two different locations within the city. The store in St Louis had a rather elaborate showroom not only for cutlery but many items for men and ladies. One principle that Jordan insisted upon was that every item was handmade – he didn’t like machined products. Interestingly, the company was known to have done business with the Native American Indian tribes - mainly the Gros Ventre, Blood, Blackfeet, and River Crow tribes (according to Goins). In 1911, Mr. Jordan’s son Clay acquired the Platts Brothers Cutlery Company in Andover, N.Y. He renamed the firm Clay Cutlery Company, and A.J. Jordan acted as the selling agent for the knives. Jordan used various trademarks including the TRADE AAA1 Mark. Jordan retired in 1920 and died in 1929. Those last years the company was renamed the CD Jordan Cutlery Company after his brother Charles David who managed it the last few years. The company did not survive following Andrew’s death. (Background summarized from Tweedale and Goins)…

The Nautilus knife pattern of which this is an example is unique and rare among makers – I have only seen examples from a few Sheffield companies. Interestingly this pattern appears to be a latter 1800s design which may have been made into the early 1900s according to a background search. I did not find any Nautilus patterns made in the earlier 1800s nor in America or other countries. The handles are carved to resemble the chambered Nautilus shell and I have seen examples made in MOP, Ivory and Tortoise Shell. All I have seen except for this Jordan Nautilus were 2 blade knives in contrast to this 4 blade model.

This particular pattern by AJ Jordan was made in Sheffield and if one has access to online Knife Magazine you can see the knife advertised in the AJ Jordan catalog of 1890 though the knife in the catalog had a handle of MOP. In this 1890 catalog the knife was their 3rd most expensive knife at $60/dozen – only 2 knives were more expensive (a 12 blade/implement pen knife in MOP @ $96/dozen and an exquisite sterling silver lobster knife @ $66).

This Jordan 4 blade model is handled in Tortoise Shell and unfortunately it must have been dropped at one time - a chip is missing at the end pin on both the mark and pile sides of the handle though it was mostly the uncarved end of the handle damaged (ashame but I still find the knife to be a true example of old cutlery art – and so the chip takes little away from the beauty of this knife for me) - BUT the knife is mint and essentially unused in terms of blades – just age spots and some staining which is not unusual, and probably the norm, for a knife of this age. The nickel silver liners are milled or coined and the back spring had elaborate file work. The “Nautilus” etch on the sheep foot master blade was highlighted with gold wash. The joints were flush and each blade had a cutout for opening. This little gem is only 2 & 5/8” closed.

Finally I want to thank my buddy Roland for kindly selling me this knife a few years back – much appreciated!…

I thought I would share something of interest that folks may enjoy seeing at a time in our lives where we can all use a distraction…

Mark Side DSCN4213 2.jpeg
Obverse DSCN4277.jpeg
Pile Side DSCN4228.jpeg
Reverse DSCN4280.jpeg
Etch and Tang Stamp DSCN4292.jpeg
Etch DSCN4246.jpeg
Filework on Spring DSCN4311.jpeg
Top Down DSCN4353.jpeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: AJ Jordan - Nautilus Pen Knife

Post by dlr110 »

Oh My Word :shock: That is one of the most unique handles I have ever seen. Great knife. ::tu::
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wow! That is beautiful!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Beautiful knife, Lee! ::tu:: Thanks for the additional history as well.
Dan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Too bad the tortoise shell handles are missing an end piece on both sides as otherwise it is very good condition. I had thought of asking Joel Chamblin if he could match the tortoise shell and put the 2 pieces in to repair the ends. If well done it would look better and the repair would be obvious enough to not fool a future buyer.
Neat knife.
kj
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That is a real beauty, Lee.
Good show.
Joe
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for the kind comments all ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... No doubt for me a special knife...

Post by tongueriver »

Exceptional post, exceptional knife from an Esteemed Member. Thanks, Lee! ::tu::
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks for those kind comments Cal ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... I try my best to contribute and add some history when I can for those interested...
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Great knife, Lee, and thanks for the interesting read......I would be one of those interested in such :lol:
Ike
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Thanks very much Ike and my pleasure ::handshake:: ::tu:: ...

Post by wlf »

Absolutely drop dead gorgeous buddy. Mmmm Ummm
I have a Jordan farmers jack I might trade you for it. :D
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

wlf wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 9:44 pm Absolutely drop dead gorgeous buddy. Mmmm Ummm
I have a Jordan farmers jack I might trade you for it. :D
Thanks Lyle ::handshake:: ::tu:: ... A possible trade for your AJ Jordan FJ :lol: :lol: ... I'll think about it for a trade in about 10-15 years ::hmm:: :lol: ...

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”