copying pictures

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

copying pictures

Post by stockman »

Today I was going to copy a picture off AAPK and save it. My computer warned me to not do it. Is there a problem in copying pic's? They seemed to be worried about security this puzzled me.

Harold
rangerbluedog

Re: copying pictures

Post by rangerbluedog »

Some images can contain computer viruses. But if you can view the image, it is already on your computer.
Use a good anti-virus software, and live life on the wild side I say!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

stockman wrote:Today I was going to copy a picture off AAPK and save it. My computer warned me to not do it. Is there a problem in copying pic's? They seemed to be worried about security this puzzled me.Harold
Harold, here are my thoughts (for what they are worth):

1. Images can be copyright protected which is a legal issue - not a computer security (virus) issue. This could be a reason you got warned.

2. Images cannot be a virus all by themselves. The reason I say this is because images are not executable on a computer. Images are not computer programs; they are simply data that certain programs (image viewers & editors) can read and change. There are cases where an image viewer/editor may have a defect (aka vulnerability) where an intentionally malformed image might trigger the image viewer/editor program to do something it shouldn't. So in order to have a problem downloading images you would need to download a malformed image and then open the image in vulnerable image viewer/editor. FYI, just "viewing" the image on your computer is enough to cause the problem if there is going to be a problem. Saving the image is no less secure than viewing it.

The bottom line in my opinion, is the risk of messing up your computer by downloading images is very low. In my own computing experience I am unconcerned about viewing & downloading images to any of my computer equipment.
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Thanks guys

Harold
Robo

Post by Robo »

Good to know, Ralph, because I snag your images all the time to use as screen savers!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Robo wrote:Good to know, Ralph, because I snag your images all the time to use as screen savers!
Rob, I'm flattered. :) Let me know if you ever want a high resolution image.
REDTROUT

Post by REDTROUT »

I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING THANKS REDTROUT
Attachments
DSC_0006.JPG
DSC_0011.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”