How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Postby Meridian_Mike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:35 pm

Just when I thought I had the Copenhagen / Skoal knives figured out... I see another one with the Skoal shield.

SO... I am going to post mine and if y'all have a different one....PLEASE post it.

Here is a Cope LB5 I just found last week.....
COPE LB5.jpg

And I have a Cope peanut......
COPE peanut.jpg

And I have this Stockman......
COPE stockman.jpg

SO.... What y'all got? (I'm talking about the Schrade ones now...)
Y'all post yours and let's see if we can find out how many variations exist.
(after I post this thread, there better not be a list some where....LOL)

Mike
:D
"...... are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?"

Then the jealous crow cried "Cora!...Why do you mock me so? You'll always be a beauty and I, a jealous crow."
The Jealous Crow......Chris Stewart & Back Country

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: How many different Copenhagen / Skoal knives are out there?

Postby Meridian_Mike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:39 pm

OK... dawg gone it.... I found the list....

viewtopic.php?t=23377

SO... still, lets see y'all post some pics of yours.

Then the jealous crow cried "Cora!...Why do you mock me so? You'll always be a beauty and I, a jealous crow."

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Mike, I thought you had most everything until I saw the list. Wow, you have an endeavor ahead of you. ::tu:: ::tu::

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Shearer » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Here a couple for you.

Grant
Attachments
P1030799.JPG
P1030800.JPG
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:55 pm

doglegg wrote:Mike, I thought you had most everything until I saw the list. Wow, you have an endeavor ahead of you. ::tu:: ::tu::

Yep, I thought there was just 5 or 6.... BOY was I WRONG.... ::facepalm::
(edit.... actually after studying the list, there is only about a dozen of each if you eliminate all the different blade etches)

And Grant... that top one you posted.... I have seen it a time or 2. It's on my want list.
Thanks for posting!

::tu::

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:02 pm

Not in my collection.... YET.... LOL....
BUT....
Here is an observation... (I am still learning about these so please excuse)

There is a Copenhagen shield (black scales) and a Skoal shield (green scales)...

skoal-copenhagen-pocket-knives-C194.jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby doglegg » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:04 pm

In the old science fiction movies the blob that no one knew what it was always kept getting bigger until it consumed them. I get that feeling sometimes with knives. ::nod:: ::nod::

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:10 pm

doglegg wrote:In the old science fiction movies the blob that no one knew what it was always kept getting bigger until it consumed them. I get that feeling sometimes with knives. ::nod:: ::nod::

LOL.... ain't it the truth!!
:D

dweb1897
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby dweb1897 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:42 am

Here's one that Herman put together
SCHRADE COENHAGEN with STAG CUT BONE  (1).JPG
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Oh WOW... Now that is a beauty!

Thanks for showing!
Mike

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:34 pm

I took the list that was provided to us by thawk (Hal) back in 2011 and I abbreviated it down to only the basic patterns.
The list isn't quite as daunting when its boiled down to only 19 knives. (Still, some of those are listed as only 500 produced)...

Here is the "Mikie's abbreviated list of Copes and Skoals"....

A BASIC list of Schrade USA Cope and Skoal SFO knives made for US Tobacco.

COPE5 - Black sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched clip blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" coined shield, Ship Jan. 1995 -1,500 pcs.

SK5 - Lockback w/ green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 -1,500 pcs.

COPE7 - Event enhancement knife, LB-7 pattern w/ smooth black Delrin handle, brass bolsters, blued 24K gold filled "Copenhagen" etch blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" shield, display box w/ glass lid, burgundy insert, Ship 12/2/94 - 400 pcs. And 500 pieces of another event (900 total made)

COPE8 - SG8, "COPE SG8 tangstamp, Black handle with molded "Copenhagen" shield on both sides in antiqued brass, Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

COPE12 - 12OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship 1/2 by 1/15/94 - 50,000 pcs.

COPE33 - Black Sawcut Delrin handle, brass bolsters, special scalloped high carbon sheepfoot blade with can opening tip, "Copenhagen Snuff" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass copenhagen shield, Schrade / Cope USA tangstamp COPE33, Ship Start Jan. 1995 - 100,000 pcs.

SK36 - Green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon locking clip blade, spey blade and leather bore, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

SK72 - sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon clip blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE89 - 89OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass Copenhagen shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship Feb. 1994 - 5,000 pcs.

SK89 - 89 pattern, green Sawcut Delrin, brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon clip blade, scalloped sheepfoot blade, spey blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield. (QTY...???)

SK96 - 96OTS w/ green Delrin Handles, C/S blades, "SKOAL 96" tang stamp, coined antiqued brass shield, brass bolsters Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK142 - 142OT pattern w/ "SKOAL 142" tangstamp, custom molded "SKOAL" shield in place of "Old Timer", (part of 2 pc. set with SK147), Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK147 - 147OT pattern w/ "SKOAL 147" tangstamp, custom molded "SKOAL" shield in place of "Old Timer", (part of 2 pc. set with SK142), Ship 6/1/97 - 5,000 pcs.

SK154 - 154 pattern w/ green Sawcut Delrin handles, "SKOAL" etch, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" shield, 1/2/95 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE165 - 165OT pattern w/ smooth black Delrin handle, brass guard and butt, antiqued brass Copenhagen handle Shield, black etch "Copenhagen Snuff", Start Ship 1/2/95 – (ONLY 500 pcs.)

COPE194 - 194OT pattern w/ black sawcut Delrin handles, brass bolsters, antiqued brass Copenhagen shield, "SCHRADE / COPE USA" tangstamp, Copenhagen blade etch, Ship Feb. 1994 - 5,000 pcs.

SK194 - Green sawcut Delrin handle, Brass bolsters, "SKOAL" etched high carbon locking clip blade, antiqued brass coined "SKOAL" handle shield, Ship 1 /2 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

COPE296 - 296 pattern w/ 24K baron gold etch, "COPE 296" tangstamp, fibron winewood handle, antiqued N.S. "Copenhagen" shield, serialized, N.S. bolsters, wooden 2 pc hinged box, 1,500 pcs.

COPE877 - Black sawcut Delrin handle, high carbon "Copenhagen Snuff" etched gut hook blade, antiqued brass "Copenhagen" coined shield, Ship Jan. 1995 - 1,500 pcs.

Mike
:shock:

Mustanger

Postby Mustanger » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:23 am

I only have one true Skoal knife. The SK5.
I have been focused on the Smokey Mtn. Knife Works SFO spinoffs on the Skoal knives. Shown are the ones that I have. A boxed set and two singles. Not shown is a SK154 spinoff with a Schrade shield instead of a Skoal shield made for SMKW. I'm still looking for a Sk36 spinoff, if there is such an animal, to go with my SMKW knives.
Attachments
LB5 SK5 Skoal (2).jpg
wSmokey Mtn. Knife SFO Green.JPG

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:08 pm

Another cope just joined my stable....
I am going to have to try to figure out why some of these come in a nice "all dolled up" box and some come in a plain wrapper.

Here is my latest... the end of the box reads... "COPE 877".

s-l1600.jpg

Mustanger

Postby Mustanger » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:38 pm

I don't know if anyone is interested but they made a spinoff of your COPE 877 with a Schrade shield too. That's a very cool knife!
Attachments
877UH LTD Cope USA.jpg

Meridian_Mike
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Meridian_Mike » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Well heck yeah, that is just too cool. They must have had a shield made so they could use the Cope parts they had made up.
Glad you posted that one!

Thanks
Mike

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”