Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Railsplitter »

I got this 328 Graduate in the mail today. I'm not too crazy about the made in China thing but several other things about the knife convinced me to grab one anyway.

So far, so good. Solid lockup, centered blade, sharp edge, nice size, and decent looking Burlwood inlays. A neat little one hand opener with no pocket clip so I can just drop it in my pocket.
Attachments
IMG_3814.JPG
IMG_3815.JPG
IMG_3820.JPG
IMG_3826.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Looks Good!! Nice score!!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Thanks John!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

One of the reasons why I love Christmas is finding a Buck under the tree! I received a 373 from my son in law this year and it's the first China Buck that has seen any pocket time for me. It has been a small revelation since I always bought and used USA made knives. It has worked just as well as a USA 301 I have for the small tasks a knife that size is used for. The second Buck was one I really, really wanted badly the latest 112 build out. It's number 14 with Macassar handles, brass frame and a flat ground S35VN blade. One of 55 so it's a real limited issue. It originally was supposed to have a nickel silver frame and in fact 2 were made that way for the picture posted on Bucks website. But when the boxes were opened all the rest were brass. Shortly after that snafu Buck pulled it off the Web page and I thought I missed my chance to get one. Rare odd build outs like this are reasonably priced from Buck directly but on the secondary market often double and triple in cost and put it out of my budget. I was really happy to get this new addition to my family of rare, odd ,1 of 1 and prototype 112's!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wanted to take a better picture of my recently acquired 110 three dot, figured I’d do a line up photo. Here are many of my 110’s in order from the early 1970’s to the late 1980’s. All users. BB
Attachments
EB43FEFD-71FE-4BE0-99F0-3345DE627AA3.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bucksway wrote:One of the reasons why I love Christmas is finding a Buck under the tree! I received a 373 from my son in law this year and it's the first China Buck that has seen any pocket time for me. It has been a small revelation since I always bought and used USA made knives. It has worked just as well as a USA 301 I have for the small tasks a knife that size is used for. The second Buck was one I really, really wanted badly the latest 112 build out. It's number 14 with Macassar handles, brass frame and a flat ground S35VN blade. One of 55 so it's a real limited issue. It originally was supposed to have a nickel silver frame and in fact 2 were made that way for the picture posted on Bucks website. But when the boxes were opened all the rest were brass. Shortly after that snafu Buck pulled it off the Web page and I thought I missed my chance to get one. Rare odd build outs like this are reasonably priced from Buck directly but on the secondary market often double and triple in cost and put it out of my budget. I was really happy to get this new addition to my family of rare, odd ,1 of 1 and prototype 112's!
The couple of Chinese Bucks I have are just fine as far being usable, the fit & finish of the handles are sometimes a bit rough and iffy, but they are completely usable knives. Buck is very specific about how knives that carry their name are made, so most of the imports are of decent quality. It's the made in China thing and the loss of US manufacturing that irks most folks, but the relative quality of the knives is fine, and of course they are very affordable compared to the US-made products. In my case my regular EDC Bucks tend to be the imports, I try to preserve the domestics and only carry them on special occasions, but if I booger up an import it's no big deal. As far as that build out #112 goes I would love to see a photo, sometimes these factory "snafus" become uber collectible down the road.
Congratulations, new knives are always a good reason to celebrate, and a good way to start a new year.
BCCI Member #2863
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

The real treasure is the 2 made with nickel silver frames. BO 13 was a nickel silver, S35VN with cherry wood and was limited to 46 knives. And this one BO 14 used the same S35VN BCCI blade (left over from the 2015 BCCI copper frame club 112 ) but used the Macassar wood from the 70's and 80's Joe Houser had saved in the move to Idaho in 2005. He used some of it for firewood till he found his mind lol! Build out 112's are usually limited to less than 100 knives but there are a few exceptions. All are highly sought after and if found sell for multiple times issue price. One of the 2 nickel silver examples went to a customer who ordered it the same day it appeared on the website and one was discovered at the factory by a collector /reseller who bought 5 the day it was released and the first box opened had the second one and the other 4 were brass. I imagine that 30 or so went out before Buck pulled it. I'm just grateful to get any rare 112 but a few returned them to Buck. I've seen just one on the bay for about $50.00 over MSRP. I have a friend who collects build out 112's and he has all but one, I think it's BO 5 ,and less than a dozen or so built of that one. And unless you get a head's up you don't know when or what it will be on sale. If I had not been on Blade forums and seen a thread about BO 13 I would have been to late as they sold out in 3 hours. ..
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

I am amazed at how many niches there are in the Buck world. I've been collecting 300 Series for quite a while now and I'm finding that the sheer number of versions available in a single model is seemingly endless, (that fact keeps me broke too). Each model has so many different versions I could hunt them for the rest of my days and never find them all. I guess that's what keeps me coming back for more.
Speaking of coming back for more, just picked up this '94 #312 Mini Trapper. I have two others, including one in Buck Bone, but I got this one as a user to fill an empty sheath I had, plus I like the 3 1/2" Mini, it's one of my favorite frames. In my opinion the 90's were the epitome of Buck's regular-model in-house production in fit & finish, I just love most models made in that period, so I'm happy to have one to carry and show off. This one is a bit more used than the other two so I put it into my EDC rotation along with my "spare" #310 Whittler. I'll keep their more pristine brethren in the "never to be used" section of my little collection, this one goes on my belt.
Attachments
IMG_1584.JPG
BCCI Member #2863
Justaguywithaknife

Post by Justaguywithaknife »

Picked this up..can't find anything else like it anywhere
Attachments
received_763071713884509.jpeg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice additions guys ::tu:: OH Great lineup ::nod:: here's my users after a recent oiling.2,3,and 4 dot.a finger grove,112 and a 501 Idaho.
Attachments
IMG_0531.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
AR Norby

Post by AR Norby »

I have a new to me 2 dot 110 on the way from the bay for $22 shipping included. Looks a little rough but nothing that a little TLC won't fix. Also have a couple 2 dot 112's I'm hoping to win.
Perception is Reality
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks Dogg, nice working group you've got there.

Welcome to justaguy, nice start!

Be sure to post pictures when your knife arrives AR.

OH

Ps gotta get my self across an iced over NC today, but I've got a new Buck 117 waiting, arrived yesterday.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

It's a happy day for me when a new addition is on the way! Actually I have 2 coming the first is a 482 that is going to donate a blade for a 112. It's a drop point black coated blade with a outline of Jim **?**
wearing a hat. .the 112 version was called the Ibex and had a 450 blade. It's a odd steel too. I'm thinking it will make a nice custom. The 2nd is a good old fashioned Stag brass framed 2 line 112 in nice shape with a full blade. I'm not sure if it's from the factory as it has black paper trim and as far as I know Buck did not use that in the 1973 era the blade and frame is from. But with early Buck customs there are few hard and fast rules and employees could literally have anything that they wanted. The price was right (under $75.00 with shipping ) so it really doesn't matter if it's factoryor nother . There was a companion 301 or 307 with stag that I tried to get too that went for $50.00 but since I have my eye on another oddball 112 and my Buck budget is limited I held back. .I'm thinking the stag 301/307 was a way better bargain but since my knowledge of them is limited and I just got the 112. .
My granddaughter is going to walk me through pic posting soon and then I will post pictures of it and a few other Bucks I've posted about here.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bucksway wrote:It's a happy day for me when a new addition is on the way! Actually I have 2 coming the first is a 482 that is going to donate a blade for a 112. It's a drop point black coated blade with a outline of Jim **?**
wearing a hat. .the 112 version was called the Ibex and had a 450 blade. It's a odd steel too. I'm thinking it will make a nice custom. The 2nd is a good old fashioned Stag brass framed 2 line 112 in nice shape with a full blade. I'm not sure if it's from the factory as it has black paper trim and as far as I know Buck did not use that in the 1973 era the blade and frame is from. But with early Buck customs there are few hard and fast rules and employees could literally have anything that they wanted. The price was right (under $75.00 with shipping ) so it really doesn't matter if it's factoryor nother . There was a companion 301 or 307 with stag that I tried to get too that went for $50.00 but since I have my eye on another oddball 112 and my Buck budget is limited I held back. .I'm thinking the stag 301/307 was a way better bargain but since my knowledge of them is limited and I just got the 112. .
My granddaughter is going to walk me through pic posting soon and then I will post pictures of it and a few other Bucks I've posted about here.
It will be nice to see some photos, wish I had seen a stag 301/307 for fiddy bucks, surprised I missed it. I monitor the bay every day so I catch most 300's, that one musta slipped by me. Next time give a shout.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Bucksway, there were some Buck's issued with Jim Shockey's profile - he is a Canadian Outdoorsman well known among hunting circles for his TV shows and endorsements (substitute black powder, knives, etc.) I've seen nylon Buck sheaths with his profile on them too. Will be glad when your granddaughter gets you educated on picture posting!! OH
Bucksway

Post by Bucksway »

One thing that I found searching on the bay is the best bargains almost always have a incomplete or badly worded description. On the listing of the stag 300 series nowhere in the listing was any number. In fact in the pictures there was not a model number on any tang stamp. .That's why I'm not sure exactly what it was. If there had been a ruler showing how long it was I would know what model. I search just Buck. Not Buck knife so I end up looking at a few listings for Buck Creek ect. I have more time than money to pay for my addiction so a few lost hours each week pays off occasionally with a bargain knife that I can afford. Even if you don't search every time for just Buck try it occasionally! What I think happens is I don't have so many people bidding on the knife simply because they did not see it. .Real bargain hunters drop out sooner especially resellers who look for a under priced knives that will be worth fooling with. But it does take more time to find the real bargain. From looking at so very many Buck listings it's easier to spot one that might be a deal because of a poor description or in some cases bad pictures. I am guilty of passing by a 112 thinking there was nothing special about it and then going back and look at every pic and finding it is something special after all. And sometimes you just have to take a chance and bid just a little bit more. I've picked up some great knives that way but more often than not money and opportunity don't happen at the same time. Can anyone share a deal here on this forum for a active listing on eBay? It's not permitted on Blade forums but I'll be glad to send a email or message to you or someone else here if I see a real bargain on a model I don't collect or if I am not in a position to buy myself. .One of the best part of collecting is helping your Buck Brothers!
eveled

Post by eveled »

With the sale of Cabela's to Bass Pro, I was worrying they'd discontinue to smooth bone knives the sell, so I pulled the trigger on the 102,105, and 119. I've been wanting them for a while didn't want to miss out.

Bucksway, I've spent hours going through listings of "knife" on eBay. Sort by ending soon, you'll be amazed how many people listed really nice knives with the title like "my dad's old knife". No name or model.
Baykeeper

Post by Baykeeper »

Bucksway wrote:One thing that I found searching on the bay is the best bargains almost always have a incomplete or badly worded description. On the listing of the stag 300 series nowhere in the listing was any number. In fact in the pictures there was not a model number on any tang stamp. .That's why I'm not sure exactly what it was. If there had been a ruler showing how long it was I would know what model. I search just Buck. Not Buck knife so I end up looking at a few listings for Buck Creek ect. I have more time than money to pay for my addiction so a few lost hours each week pays off occasionally with a bargain knife that I can afford. Even if you don't search every time for just Buck try it occasionally! What I think happens is I don't have so many people bidding on the knife simply because they did not see it. .Real bargain hunters drop out sooner especially resellers who look for a under priced knives that will be worth fooling with. But it does take more time to find the real bargain. From looking at so very many Buck listings it's easier to spot one that might be a deal because of a poor description or in some cases bad pictures. I am guilty of passing by a 112 thinking there was nothing special about it and then going back and look at every pic and finding it is something special after all. And sometimes you just have to take a chance and bid just a little bit more. I've picked up some great knives that way but more often than not money and opportunity don't happen at the same time. Can anyone share a deal here on this forum for a active listing on eBay? It's not permitted on Blade forums but I'll be glad to send a email or message to you or someone else here if I see a real bargain on a model I don't collect or if I am not in a position to buy myself. .One of the best part of collecting is helping your Buck Brothers!
I'm an old hand sailing the bay with several hundred voyages, got a lot of my collection there and am also an occasional seller. I do know you have to search various ways to uncover the misspelled & sloppy listings, I just happened to miss those particular stags. As a matter of fact some of the best deals are usually that type of listing because the seller just doesn't know any better or is inexperienced, I actually look for those listings. I also regularly check out listings here in the AAPK Store and have bought a few knives from dealers there, (some of my best actually). Unfortunately I don't seem to have a problem spending too much money on pocket knives, but then I guess I wouldn't be a collector if I wasn't nearly broke from buying too many knives.
BCCI Member #2863
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Got around to ordering one of Copper & Clad's 2017 limited run Buck's, the Mini-Special 117. It came last week while I was away on business and I finally got to handle it Thursday; my first impression was I like the overall size and feel of the knife; Buck 105 sized handle, 4-1/2" blade that mimics the Buck 119 in blade profile, but in a very handy size - carries on the belt like a Buck 102. I took it fishing Saturday, wore it on my belt - probably too cold to fish, never got a bite but I wanted to go - did get a chance to take a picture of the knife in the snow. OH
Attachments
IMG_1851.jpg
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

I like that pic OH.. That blue hue gives it a different look!! KOOL!! ::tu:: John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
eveled

Post by eveled »

That 117 is my favorite fixed blade Buck knife. The perfect size and looks. I have a Black phenolic like yours and a Cherrywood. I just wish they made a sheath for it, instead of just putting it in a 105 sheath.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thank you John, I was surprised at how "blue" the picture looked when I uploaded it - it didn't look that blue or dark when I took it.

Ed, I noticed that the sheath was stamped for the Buck 105 and wondered if there had been a mix up in packaging but the 117 fits in it so well I figured it made no difference. Per your post I take it they are all shipped with a 105 sheath.

OH
eveled

Post by eveled »

Yes it fits fine, but it's a smidge long. Really not a big deal, and yes they all shipped like that. The 117 started as the small Brahma, with a leather washer handle. The sheath is a lot different, more military inspired I guess. The weird thing to me, the 117 Brahma looks oddly proportioned, but the same blade with the Phenolic handle is perfect, go figure.

It's a great knife I'm sure you'll love yours. Is yours numbered? The first 100 were numbered, I have #30.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

She's a fine looking knife Colonel. Congratulations.
Attachments
IMG_1851.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Bucksway wrote:the 112 version was called the Ibex and had a 450 blade.
Does this mean my "mutie" is actually a factory-made Buck?
31999986370_4fd231686a_k.jpg
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”