1981 Case Trapper with stamp on bolster?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Grate

1981 Case Trapper with stamp on bolster?

Post by Grate »

I picked this knife up today on eBay. It didn't have very much info on the posting but I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the number on the bolster. Maybe part of a set or first production run?

Thanks!
Grate.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1593467340881.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467352595.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467347161.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467365667.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467361482.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467373058.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467369770.jpg
FB_IMG_1593467376442.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 1981 Case Trapper with stamp on bolster?

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Probably some kind of “limited run” marketing gimmick, designed to make collectors think it’s a rare knife, like “only 500 made” or similar. Without knowing more about it, it’s hard to say what’s “special” about it. Not seeing any blade etch, I’d guess it’s the handle color. There were probably 50,000 or more of that pattern made with other colors. :roll:

Someone here may know more about it. Or you can email Case Consumer Relations consumer-relations@wrcase.com and ask them.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'll agree with Ken.
And welcome aboard!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Grate

Post by Grate »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 pm Probably some kind of “limited run” marketing gimmick, designed to make collectors think it’s a rare knife, like “only 500 made” or similar. Without knowing more about it, it’s hard to say what’s “special” about it. Not seeing any blade etch, I’d guess it’s the handle color. There were probably 50,000 or more of that pattern made with other colors. :roll:

Someone here may know more about it. Or you can email Case Consumer Relations consumer-relations@wrcase.com and ask them.

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Thank you for your reply and I'm glad I found this place! I'm definitely going to email Case. I honestly just wanted a Trapper from the year I was born. At first I kinda wished the number wasn't there. Now I'm just curious.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Firstly, ::welcome:: to AAPK, Grate!

Case serialized some trappers without obvious explanation in the early '80s.

I suspect Steve (knifeaholic) would have some useful information about these trappers, might see if he happens across this thread. ::shrug::

Here's my 1982 jigged green bone G6254 (S/N 443) with brass bolsters and serrated spey blade.
Attachments
IMG_20200629_205816.jpg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

::welcome:: Grate. ::handshake::
Looking at the mark side of the clip blade, there might be some evidence of some cleaning, possibly removing an etch that would go with the 418 on the bolster. May be seeing things but looks like lines running parallel to the blade. ::shrug::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

The bone color and jigging look just like my early 1980s standard Trapper so treefarmer's reply is the best answer yet.
treefarmer wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:43 am ::welcome:: Grate. ::handshake::
Looking at the mark side of the clip blade, there might be some evidence of some cleaning, possibly removing an etch that would go with the 418 on the bolster. May be seeing things but looks like lines running parallel to the blade. ::shrug::
Treefarmer
The lightening bolt S in Case and USA tells us the blades are stainless so it is unlikely that the master blade was sanded to remove corrosion. Club knives are almost always worth less than standard production versions of same model. Club knife decorations have to be very gaudy to make me dislike a knife but I'm just one dummy. The seller or a prior owner probably did not want a decorated blade.

It has a great traditional Case brown color. I much prefer that over Case's modern bright colors.
Grate

Post by Grate »

::tu:: Thank you guys for all the info. I really appreciate it. ::handshake::
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

I agree with what was said it being a commemorative edition where what was special about
the knife has been worn off/cleaned off from the blades.

Knifedb.com lists a few that were special editions, usually 1 out of 150.

Nice knife and Welcome :D

Bob

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”