Size

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
boykinlp

Size

Post by boykinlp »

I am a newbie, and as such, don't know much.:) So I thought I would get some schooling from the experts, if you please.

When buying scales to rehandled knives, how to you determine the correct size? My questions are for stag or mammoth ivory. I realize that it depends on the size of the knife itself, but how much extra material do you need on the ends and sides? Obviously you don't want to pay for more than you need. Also, when what thickness should you look for? Is it dependent on the material or is there a standard thickness? Thanks, in advance, for any information.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
muskrat man
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Size

Post by muskrat man »

I like to have about 1/4" all the way around of course you can go with much much less but if the budget allows it I like going bigger that way you have some leeway to avoid any voids, defects etc. I have used slabs down to less than 1/16" bigger than the knife they needed to go on. Thickness varies by material. It also depends on if you want the handle fatter in the middle than at the bolsters. Stag will almost always be 2-3 x thicker than the bolsters unless you thin it out from the underside, but be aware any handle material that already has a radiused top will get narrower the more you thin it out from the underside.
Custom knives, repair, restoration & embellishment
Certified Hubertus, Taylor, & Schrade repairman past and present
http://www.muskratmanknives.com
https://www.facebook.com/Muskratmanknives
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Well said Kaleb, I agree.
I am pretty comfortable with most handle materials if I have a quarter inch excess on each side.
Most people would not realize it by looking at a knife, but many bolsters are not parallel, there is a certain amount angle and if you cut yourself handle material perfectly square you can have gaps. Part of the reason for the excess material is so you can compensate for the slant of the bolsters.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

As Kaleb said, it's always nice to have more than 1/4" around, mainly to be able to move the material this way or that if perhaps there is a void or inclusion that you don't want in the finished product.

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”