Federal Edgemaster re-work

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
tinkerer

Federal Edgemaster re-work

Post by tinkerer »

This is my first attempt at a rebuild. It's still in progress. I'm open to any feedback you can offer. I picked up a 1950s vintage Edgemaster that needed attention. I first shopped it around to the folks here who do repairs but ultimately decided to try it myself.

I did change the overall profile by removing the stamped metal parts. I think they took away from the design. I was going to buy handle material but ended up using what I had on hand. I think its ABS.

Here's when I got it. It had no kick spring and was very wobbly at the blade. Both side to side play and droop when open.
edgemaster01.jpg
I took the scales off and looked around. The release was worn, causing the droop. The spring holding the release broke while I was fiddling with it. It may be brass or bronze, sound right? Here's the replacement parts I made with the originals on the top. Attempts at parts are included too.
edgemaster06.jpg
Here's what I have so far. Still some work to do.
edgemaster08.jpg
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Federal Edgemaster re-work

Post by glennbad »

Looks great so far! I haven't ventured into autos yet, I have enough frustration with regular slipjoints. :lol:
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Wise move in removing the stamped metal parts. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Tony_Wood

Post by Tony_Wood »

Looking good so far.
https://m.facebook.com/sheepsfootknives/?ref=bookmarks

Instagram: #sheepsfootknivesbytwood
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

glennbad wrote:Looks great so far! I haven't ventured into autos yet, I have enough frustration with regular slipjoints. :lol:
Yeah I sort of jumped right in. I probably should've started with something less involved but I kind of got hooked. Thanks for the kind words.
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

doglegg wrote:Wise move in removing the stamped metal parts. Can't wait to see the finished product.
Thanks! The stamped parts take away from the overall look in my opinion. I still have lots of sanding to do.
tinkerer

Post by tinkerer »

Tony_Wood wrote:Looking good so far.
Thanks!

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”