Ornithology (Bird) Thread

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Ornithology (Bird) Thread

Post by Paladin »

doglegg wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm FRJ we agree on a lot of things but on the subject of Grackles I'm afraid we are far apart. But I'm glad someone likes them. ::td:: ::tu:: ::nod::
I literally hate those sons o' guns! ::td:: ::woot::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Paladin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm
doglegg wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:31 pm FRJ we agree on a lot of things but on the subject of Grackles I'm afraid we are far apart. But I'm glad someone likes them. ::td:: ::tu:: ::nod::

Ray
In my circumstance they don't cause me any harm. As I recall, they some how got here from Europe.
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

FRJ wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 12:18 am
Paladin wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:43 pm

Ray
In my circumstance they don't cause me any harm. As I recall, they some how got here from Europe.
Joe, I believe you are thinking of starlings. Grackles are native to North America, and not nearly as annoying as starlings. I mainly hate starlings because they nest in cavities or bird houses and displace our native birds like woodpeckers or flycatchers when they (starlinigs) become common. And yes, they displace our native birds at the feeder, too.

In cattle country, I see starlings, grackles (there are multiple species), and blackbirds (also multiple species) all flocking together to feast on spilled cattle food.
Mel
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Mel. Starlings are the intruders.
Doesn't seem like either one is very well received.
Joe
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

2 of the most hated birds around (here anyway). Sparrows get into sheds, make a big mess, and not to mention carry bird flu (dangerous to chickens). Blackbirds damage oat crops really bad. Both reasons for dad to buy his very first shotgun. All them they good for is target practice :x ::td:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

You blokes over there have the same pests as us down under ::td:: Sparrows, starlings, blackbirds and mynah birds, all introduced pests that have thrived here and do untold damage. Hope everyone has a good week. ::tu:: ::handshake::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Funny thing about starlings is that it took multiple efforts to establish them in North America. Now we cannot get rid of them. I am not a fan of house sparrows either, but in my own personal domain (i.e. my back yard) I have not had any sparrow infestations.

Just about the first birds I ever shot were mixed grackles and blackbirds. When I was about seven, on a winter day the birds were covering the ground where we fed our cattle. My dad loaded a single shot 20 gauge shotgun with birdshot and told me to go out and get as close as I could and shoot them. I killed either five or seven, my memory fails, with that one shot and I was as proud as if I had killed a lion. That was illegal even in 1960, unless the birds were destructive pests. I guess they were since they were eating our cattle food.

In my area the water oak acorns are ripe and falling. Gray squirrels and blue jays are feasting! When I am out in my back yard I hear the (uneaten) acorns pattering as they hit the ground. Lots of movement in the outer branches of the oaks as the acorns are harvested.
Attachments
Cyanocitta cristata
Cyanocitta cristata
Mel
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mel that Cyanocitta Cristata looks to be a juvenile. ::hmm:: They are usually an aggravating tribe of bandits. Their common name around here is plainly, Jay Bird, kinda' like the Cardinal is usually referred to as a Red Bird. Common names seem to vary from region to region.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

This Drake and Hen were at the water line of a small pond, 50 ft.x 90 ft.?? where I walk daily. The pond is connected by a culvert to the large pond. It's almost over grown on the sides. I don't think people know its there in spite of walking right by it.
I peeked through the tall grasses to see these two. They were about 50 feet away under a lot of growth and enjoying the seclusion the little hideout afforded. It was a very nice setting for them. Beautiful birds.
Attachments
DSCN0212.JPG
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

FRJ I like everything about that photo. They are relaxed as if you are not there. Beautiful. ::nod:: ::nod::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, doglegg. ::tu:: ::tu::
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That is a great picture! ::tu::
Treefarmer

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

treefarmer wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:20 am That is a great picture! ::tu::
Treefarmer
doglegg wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 am FRJ I like everything about that photo. They are relaxed as if you are not there. Beautiful. ::nod:: ::nod::
Yeah, what they said!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I'll agree! A great shot, FRJ!!
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you very much, guys, I'm pleased to read your nice comments. ::nod::
Glad you liked the picture. ::tu::
Joe
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Very nice mallard photo, Joe.

Today we had some unusual visitors at our feeder. I think they were Lonchura punctulata, commonly called Scaly-breasted munia. I have seen them once before, about a year ago. Native to Southeast Asia, a common cage bird, and becoming naturalized here in Southeast North America. They are a Finch. Kind of cool to see. I have lived long enough to observe several species of invasive birds move into my area. I hope these finches are fairly innocuous. Until I have some reason to dislike them I like seeing them.
Attachments
Lonchura punctulata
Lonchura punctulata
Mel
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Nabbed a photo of some Sand Hill Cranes a while back...
Attachments
20181111_165703 (1).jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Interesting Mel, they must not be here yet. But they are an unusual bird. ::nod::
Knice pic of the sand hills Scott. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Mel. That Finch is finely dressed. ::tu::

Cool Cranes. ::tu::
Joe
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Mocking Birds are the state bird of Florida, very common in the southern part of our country according to the bird book.
We have one that has been attacking his reflection in a window of our house. He sits in the branches of something called a Japanese Magnolia and keeps flying into the glass and causing the Dachshund alarm to keep going off. We usually keep that room's door open as we now use it as our "office" but in order to keep the dog quiet we must shut the door as the bird has been doing this all day for several days. At dinner today we noticed two Mocking Birds on top of the cart roof doing so sort of dance, not fighting but just bobbing up and down and circling each other.
Here's what I saw yesterday:
Mocking bird sitting on a branch preparing to attack his reflection
Mocking bird sitting on a branch preparing to attack his reflection
Hitting the window with beak and wings.
Hitting the window with beak and wings.
Mini-Dachshund alarm system responding to the noise.
Mini-Dachshund alarm system responding to the noise.
Treefarmer

Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Had a Mockingbird stay around the house for a while this afternoon. Not common around us.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Great entertainment, for you and the dog! Great pictures. You would think the Mockingbird would get a headache...and figure it out.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

TF, the Mockingbird is also the state bird of Texas and very common here. They are aggressively territorial. One in particular has lurked around the east side yard of our house for several years and annually nests in a crepe myrtle tree there. We have a bird feeder nearby, and it's a constant show. Birds of various varieties come there to feed on the bird seed and the Mockingbird, which doesn't even eat seeds, chases them away. As soon as the Mockingbird chases after those birds some others come to feed. In a few minutes the Mockingbird returns, chases those new birds away, and the whole charade starts over again! :lol:

BTW the ones dancing around each other are "courting". They'll likely mate and start nest building somewhere nearby. Nests are typically a platform made of small sticks. The one flying into your window sees its own reflection in the glass and probably thinks it's competition for its territory, so needs to attack it. You can probably stop it by putting a decal or two on the glass.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Catching up after a month of super business.
Great bird pics/stories everyone ::super_happy:: ::tu:: .
FRJ, Dan, and Scott those 3 pics are calendar quality, especially that mallard shot. Can't get any better then that, for sure ::nod:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you, Willy.

Here are some pictures of a cute little Grebe and those Mallard love birds.
Also a little sparrow that was very entertaining.

Thanks for looking.
Attachments
DSCN0263.JPG
DSCN0265.JPG
DSCN0272.JPG
DSCN0274.JPG
DSCN0275.JPG
DSCN0277.JPG
Joe

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”