IdentificatIon hrlp

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tennbargainbin

IdentificatIon hrlp

Post by tennbargainbin »

I bought a bag of assorted knives, and it had a pair like the one pictured Can anyone tell me what they are?
Attachments
20200923_162442.jpg
20200923_162434.jpg
20200923_162421.jpg
20200923_162415.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: IdentificatIon hrlp

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Commonly called “slide opener knives”. Been around for decades, inexpensive to manufacture and often given away as advertising (with the company name printed on one or both sides). Do an eBay search for “slide knives” - you’ll see lots of them.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

They made a ton of these, and are still making them. Around here, a company called Virginia Metal Products (located on the other end of my county, now known as Consolidated Steel), I swear, gave two to every man working in the mining industry. They're everywhere! I have two advertising VMP, one advertising a fab shop less than a mile from my house, and another for a motor shop in KY. I think it's because it's pretty much the simplest locking mechanism that exists, and they can be produced cheaply due to having no backspring and only four parts counting blade. I had found the patent here somewhere, and it listed the inventor. Older ones are USA-made and carbon steel. Today's are China-made and stainless steel.

They used to be called the "Flip It", and from what I'm seeing now, the name most promo products companies use now is something like "Flip and Slide".

The patent should be in the blade well, visible when the blade is deployed. Let me check the one in my toolbox (which is pretty late production, I'm thinking last of the USA) and see if it's got the patent.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I have one of these also from a car dealership. It’s one of those items that you see can be personalized in catalogs with promo products. Use to get two or three companies offering these every year at the office.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”