History of Chicago Cutlery pocket knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
chgo29

History of Chicago Cutlery pocket knives

Post by chgo29 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:29 pm

I'm posting a picture of two knives that I've acquired recently. Both are Chicago Cutlery Stockman pattern. I've tried to find some history on Chicago Cutlery folding, or pocket, knives but I can't find much. I found one little blurb that said they were only made for a shorttime in the 80's (Chicago Cutlery's main business has always been commercial kitchen cutlery) and that they were made by Schrade Cutlery. But these two knives have enough differences to make me think they must have been made by different companies. Both have the same tang stamp "Chicago Cutlery" over "P16 USA" but the font size and spacing is not identical. As you can see one knife has three pins and the other only one. One knife has brass bolsters and the other brushed stainless. There is slight difference in length. The knife with the brass bolsters has thicker blade steel but thinner bolsters and handle material than the other knife. They are both beautiful knives - really solid - mint condition. I love 'em. I have just become curious about the history of Chicago Cutlery pocket knives - and I can't find much information on that subject. Can anyone here enlighten me? Cliff
Attachments
P1100593.JPG
cliff

Roush428r

Re: History of Chicago Cutlery pocket knives

Post by Roush428r » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

I've been trying to sort this out for years. I've owned at least four different variations of some models. I had always heard that Schrade made all the knives, but late examples were made in Japan. Queen made at least some of the folding hunters and I suspect there were a couple more contractors too. I haven't been able to find out who made the folding filet knives. All of their folders are of excellent quality and some can be very hard to find. I've owned multiple examples of all 13 models, but I'm sure there are many variations that I haven't seen yet.

junebug

Post by junebug » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:29 am

found this info in: knife collectors guide 6th edition by ron stewart........

founded in 1930 as rental and sharpening co. for butchers.....this evolved into manufacturer of knives ........in 1969 entered into retail with very attractive ads........in 1971 introduced first ever wooden knife blocks that are now on millions of counters......in 1979 introduced pocket knife line included pen,stock,and folding hunyer lockbacks.also included a lockback fish knives which are acclaimed nationally in fiushing magazines........in 1982 the "biocurve" 19 degree ergonomic design handle came out ,........
stamping: chicago cutlery (pattern #) U.S.A
chicago cutlery minneapolis,minnesota 1932-present

wish i had more for ya............. ::tear::
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016

rexbradfield

Post by rexbradfield » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:53 am

The knife with the brass is made in the usa, the other is made in Japan. I just lost my USA knife like this after 25 years, if you are interested in selling it please e-mail me. Rex Bradfield

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:30 pm

Thought I might chime in. Here's a couple of Chicago Cutlery knives that have passed through my hands recently.

This one is # P7 (made in the U.S.A.)

And this is one is #P13 (made in Japan)

SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb

2xTap

Post by 2xTap » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

Been curious about these as well but never could find anything on them. Back around the mid' 80's my Dad bought both me and my brother Chicago Cutlery Stockman's and got himself a couple Chicago Cutlery Folding Hunters. I still have mine.........

No shield on mine, and the mainblade is partially serrated starting at the tip. Blade is tang stamped "P16 USA" under "Chicago Cutlery". It's 3 7/8" closed with stainless blades, nickle silver bolsters, and brass liners and pins.

Aside from the one my brother had I have only seen one other like these, a few years back on Ebay.

2xTap

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:10 am

There's always a few on eBay, although prices have gotten pretty high.

Just a note on an above reply: Brass bolsters do not necessarily mean a U.S. made version and vice versa. In fact, the only Japanese made versions I've personally owned have all had brass bolsters.

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:49 am

There is a 1987 Chicago Cutlery catalog on the bay right now, not my auction and not bidding on it.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:56 am

knifeaholic wrote:There is a 1987 Chicago Cutlery catalog on the bay right now, not my auction and not bidding on it.
...or someone could just ask me for a copy as I have an extra.

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:40 pm

knifeaholic wrote:There is a 1987 Chicago Cutlery catalog on the bay right now, not my auction and not bidding on it.

And I bought it........
SCOTT

Roush428r

Post by Roush428r » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:03 am

As luck would have it, I bought a collection of a 100 or so knives from the 1980's today and there was a P7 in the original box. It's a Medallion series with brushed nickel silver bolsters and great looking wood. The guy had the knives separated into boxes with the prices he was asking. That knife was in the box marked $10.

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:54 am

Roush428r wrote:As luck would have it, I bought a collection of a 100 or so knives from the 1980's today and there was a P7 in the original box. It's a Medallion series with brushed nickel silver bolsters and great looking wood. The guy had the knives separated into boxes with the prices he was asking. That knife was in the box marked $10.
Nice! Very nice!
SCOTT

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF » Sat Apr 16, 2011 7:00 pm

Here's a P13 Honeysuckle (JAPAN)

SCOTT

danbel4

Post by danbel4 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:21 pm

I got my p-16 when I was 15 yrs old in 1979 at my uncles hardware store in Buffalo N.Y. It has no tang stamp only the stamping " Chicago Cutlery P-16" on the side. have been carrying and using it ever since and would never think of selling it, however I would like to know more history about it. any info would be great

danbel4

Post by danbel4 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:48 pm

my P-16
Attachments
DSC01175.JPG

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:11 pm

I found my P16 in the early 1980s. I was walking down a sidewalk and passed a pile of trash that someone moving had left by the curb. This knife was right on top of the pile. The tip of the main blade was broke off - I guess that is why it was thrown out - one's man's trash is another man's pocket knife! I rather crudely reshaped the blade and carried it on and off as a work knife for over twenty years. It has been through the clothes washer a couple of times in my pants pocket. I used beeswax to recondition the scales each time. By the way, that is proof that the scales are top notch, in my opinion. I have totally ruined the scales on a buck with one trip through the washer.

I also have wondered about the history of the company, but never read anything.
Attachments
Chicago_Cutlery6.jpg
Mel

Return to “General Knife Discussion”