Some repair, restore and a question about a Case

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
whitesell knives

Some repair, restore and a question about a Case

Post by whitesell knives »

Here are some repair jobs done recently.
This is a Case Muskrat that I fixed a broken handle on. My friend didn't want to rehandle this one
101_3888.JPG
101_3894.JPG
The next one is a restore using the original handle scales. This knife had been abused, it was tweeked at the end and the blades were hard to move, from the pins being bent, now she has good snap, and is in my pocket daily.
101_3889.JPG
101_3892.JPG
parts cleaned and my mark on the liner
101_3905.JPG
101_3903.JPG
Now for the question. Have any of you guys ever had a Case with a Swinden pin? I know Schrade made contract knives for other companies, but did they for Case? I have a Case Scout knife with a Swinden and was wondering if it was a clone or something. here are some pics of it. The last pic shows the Swinden pin key hole in the liner. It also had some sort of plastic handle not Delrin though.
101_3897.JPG
101_3902.JPG
101_3913.JPG
Thanks for looking and sorry for the long post.
Dale
Whitesell Knives.com
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Some repair, restore and a question about a Case

Post by knifeaholic »

Yes on the scout knife. It a 640045R. While Case made the 6445R scout knife in house, they contracted out the lower priced 640045R from the XX era onward.

There were three companies that made them - Schrade, Utica, and Camillus. The Schrade and Utica examples seem to be limited to the XX stamp, then Camillus made them up til the time they went out of business.

Elvis found this out as well by disassembling one. I think he posted it on here awhile ago.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
whitesell knives

knifeaholic wrote:Yes on the scout knife. It a 640045R. While Case made the 6445R scout knife in house, they contracted out the lower priced 640045R from the XX era onward.

There were three companies that made them - Schrade, Utica, and Camillus. The Schrade and Utica examples seem to be limited to the XX stamp, then Camillus made them up til the time they went out of business.

Elvis found this out as well by disassembling one. I think he posted it on here awhile ago.
Thanks knifeaholic. Good to know.
Whitesell Knives.com
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

Yes, and I still have that knife waiting to complete it's repair. Why is it still waiting? Because it's mine and my knives always get the lowest priority it seems. ::facepalm::
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

Oh Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that RAT looks great !!!!!

het
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice work Dale! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
whitesell knives

MrBlister wrote:Oh Baby !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
that RAT looks great !!!!!

het
Thanks het. That knife belongs to a friend, who bought it new and has carried and used it a lot. it is a Case USA 10 dot. She has been sharpened a lot but has years of life left. It has been retired to a drawer now.

Thanks everyone for looking, and the comments.

Dale
Whitesell Knives.com

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”