Case #10095 Barndoor Hinge Knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
flatheadjim

Case #10095 Barndoor Hinge Knives

Post by flatheadjim »

I bought my first 10095 Barndoor Hinge knife on Ebay over 15 years ago because it looked like a good knife and was different from anything I had yet seen. After using it for several years I grew very fond of it and decided to try and collect the complete set of nine different handle materials made in 1992 as per the certificate that came with the boxed knife. It took a long time but I finally completed my set of nine knives. I have searched many times for some information on these knives and have failed to dig up much on them at all, most Knife collector info sites do not even list them. My biggest Question is, My Carmel Swirl looks a lot like the Ablone Handle, I know that their was two different sets as per the Certificates, a set of four and one of five. Is it possable that the two knives in question are the same but with different names for the set. Or do I just have two of the same pattern and one miss marked box? Any info would be great. Flatheadjim
Classic Case

Re: Case #10095 Barndoor Hinge Knives

Post by Classic Case »

Hi,..The knife at 12:00 is the caramel swirl version.The one just above the 3:00 position(mastadon ivory) is the abalone swirl.
Attachments
barndoor.jpg
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
flatheadjim

Post by flatheadjim »

Thanks Guy, that's a Beautiful set you have there. I just bought the Abalone Handled knife and have yet to recieve it so I just might have the right ones. It's not easy to compare them with just a picture so I thought maybe I had two of the same. Your picture was a big help. Could I bother you for some info on the other patterns you have of the barndoor hinges in your display, I thought I had them all but now I know otherwise. The Mastadon Ivory is beautiful, what's the one at the nine position? Again, Thanks for the Info. Flatheadjim
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

your welcome, and thx.the mastodon ivory is a prototype(fewer than 10) made.The one at 9:00 is real abalone , its also a proto.
flatheadjim

Post by flatheadjim »

Wow. Looks like Iv'e got a snowballs chance in Heck to ever come across any of those with so few made. I'm Green with Envy over your collection. Anyway, I have had a great time collecting my set and really enjoyed the hunt. I'm now trying to decide on another pattern to start collecting. There are so many to choose from it's hard to decide. I just found this sight today and plenty glad to have done so. Iv'e got lots of reading to catch up on. Having a great day, Thanks
fazool

Post by fazool »

Hi,

I know Winchester made a Glitter Stripe scaled Barn Door Hinge toothpick. Did Case ever make a Glitter Stripe Barn Door Hinge version? (I'm looking for one) Beautiful collection by the way!!!!!

Take care!!

Jon
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

They made a Candy Stripe...................maybe it's the same thing ::shrug::

Couldn't tell ya where to find one..............eBay.
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Hello all,

Glitter stripe and candy stripe, while similar, are not the same. Candy Stripe has three main colors while glitter stripe has seven, ( if i counted correctly ). I don't know of a Barndoor Hinge 95 being made in the Glitter Stripe pattern but with Jim Parker, anything is possible, there may have been a celluloid prototype made up in the Glitter Stripe, no records of a regular production though.

Can anyone tell me what was the rarest of PRODUCTION Barndoor Hinge 95s' ?????

Oh, please note I am referring to the Case Classic series of knives, not Case Tested Era.
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

Can anyone tell me what was the rarest of PRODUCTION Barndoor Hinge 95s' ?????
97 were made with burlwood(celluloid) and 98 with cranberry gold swirl.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

I don't know if the answer is that easy Chris, Dean is always digging up some little known tidbit.

Come on already, we give up! :wink:

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

deanmm56

Post by deanmm56 »

Chris is ABSOLUTELY correct !!!! While there were a ton of bardoor hinge 95s' designed as prototypes the lowest PRODUCTION # of knives were the burlwood ( celluloid ) 97 total with the cranberry swirl coming in at 98. I've heard there was a second cut stag as a prototype ..... heard... never seen and I know of 1 mastodon bark barndoor.... keith had it up for sale here at AAPK ...... some lucky person got to it before I could save the money. ( Sucks going back to school and being broke all the time )
Dean M. Morron

email : deanm56@aol.com

ebay as : deanm56635w
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Well there ya go, it's right in the book. I figured you were trying to pull a fast one!

Bill Price (CCBill)

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”