Allen G Cates Tullahoma TN

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Allen G Cates Tullahoma TN

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Anyone have information on this custom knife maker? I’ve determined that the damascus steel for the bolsters was made by Robert Eggerling. The scales are armadillo hide. Can’t for the life of me figure out the lines in the blade steel. Looks like they were there before he put the blade etch on with his name, city and state. The lines transverse from the blades across the bolsters so they were there, it looks like, before the polishing. The blades aren’t particularly sharp and show no signs of having been sharpened, I plan on sharpening them if I decide to keep it.
I checked Arizona Customs and they don’t have any by this maker. The Cutting Edge has had 2 knives from him but none now. Worthpoint has had one in the past and that’s about all I found on the internet. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks. Mark
Attachments
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
FullSizeRender.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Re: Allen G Cates Tullahoma TN

Post by XX Case XX »

Don't know him, but I'm pretty sure this is what he looks like.https://www.pinterest.com/allenecates/

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Thanks Mike. Can’t tell if he is still making knives or is even alive. I doubt that I will get much information from the lack of what I see online. I bought this on a whim and was impressed with the scales and the bolsters. I hoped the lines were oil that needed wiped off but they are in the metal. So this will be a new EDC for me once I sharpen the blades.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:21 am Can’t tell if he is still making knives or is even alive. I doubt that I will get much information from the lack of what I see online.
I'm sure you've already thought of this, but make sure to check the more popular "Social Media" sites like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. I've found that a lot of people use those sites to gain attention to their products.

________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...

Return to “Custom Knives”