Lost, then found.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
stumpstalker

Lost, then found.

Post by stumpstalker »

Today is a good day. I found a lost knife. A Case XX large Regular Jack, in rough black -- a 6299.

The knife had been in the family since my older brother bought it in the late 1950s or early 60s, at the sporting goods store my father’s hunting and fishing buddy owned and ran with his brothers. It has been with me, and often carried, since the 1970s.

It disappeared a few weeks ago, soon after, of all things, posting an image of it on here alongside a big Sheffield jack for comparison. And I had looked three or four times already in the truck, especially under the seats and between the driver’s seat and the center console, with a flashlight.

Today is a chilly, but bright, sunny day here, and you can’t beat natural light. So, having never given up hope, I looked again, and peering underneath yet again, saw a glint from what could only be nickel silver.

I can recall every knife I have lost, starting with the pen knife I was given at age six. It is only about a half dozen, none for several years, and all have been put in their proper perspective.

It is satisfying, though, rescuing that “lost sheep”.
Attachments
case.6299.jpg
313 Mike

Re: Lost, then found.

Post by 313 Mike »

Congrats on finding your knife! That's a nice one too, must have been a relief. Are those rough black handles?
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Case XX 6383
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Case XX 6383 »

I lost a great 1973 6380 in the woods in a different state. I'll never find mine. Congrats
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

313 Mike wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:32 pm Congrats on finding your knife! That's a nice one too, must have been a relief. Are those rough black handles?
Mike:

Yes, a relief, and shared my triumph immediately with the one who had to hear about the knife after it had gone missing.

And, yes, "Rough black", or "Man made plastic 'PLASTAG' --1940", as per Handle terminology section, Sargent's KNIVES AND RAZORS, 5th Edition, page 16.

It has been suggested to me that the Case 99 pattern, when produced during the "XX" - era (1940-1964) was only available in rough black. Other materials are found on the pattern before then.

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

stumpstalker wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:04 pm
313 Mike wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:32 pm Congrats on finding your knife! That's a nice one too, must have been a relief. Are those rough black handles?
Mike:

Yes, a relief, and shared my triumph immediately with the one who had to hear about the knife after it had gone missing.

And, yes, "Rough black", or "Man made plastic 'PLASTAG' --1940", as per Handle terminology section, Sargent's KNIVES AND RAZORS, 5th Edition, page 16.

It has been suggested to me that the Case 99 pattern, when produced during the "XX" - era (1940-1964) was only available in rough black. Other materials are found on the pattern before then.

I really like that old rough black material. I have a XX era jack with those covers too and it just feels so solid, those knives were pretty heavy duty.

Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Seeing that must have been like seeing a long lost old friend! Glad you found it.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Reverand wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 8:13 pm Seeing that must have been like seeing a long lost old friend! Glad you found it.
Yup, knives aren't people, but they do have personalities.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I had a "Lost, then found" moment today, and it made it feel like...well, like Christmas!
I had lost this customized Western that I had carried to work for years. It used to be a Camper (the twin to the one that I posted in "Mystery Knife Game" a few days ago), which had a broken backspring. I removed the spring and two blades, and used it as my "work knife" for a while.
I lost it early this year, finally gave up on it as being "forever lost" after several months, then found it today beneath the couch cushions!
Attachments
32229B6F-8BDB-4AB8-ABF1-C5CC841F7228.jpeg
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

"The Black Sheep Returned To The Fold" ::tu:: J.O'.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Ridgegrass wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:56 am "The Black Sheep Returned To The Fold" ::tu:: J.O'.
My favorite song by the Osbourne brothers!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

K7K: If that song won't stir your heart, you don't have one. ::handshake:: J.O'.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

stumpstalker. Congratulations on the recovery of your knife. I have been thru that. Took several efforts beneath the car seat before I saw the glint of success.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

stumpstalker. Congratulations on the recovery of your knife. I have been thru that. Took several efforts beneath the car seat before I saw the glint of success.
stumpstalker

Post by stumpstalker »

Quick Steel:

I appreciate the double congratulations.

A Case 6299 with pocket-worn Rough Black (plastic) handle covers is not going to be anyone's "holy grail" knife. But this one has long been a reliaable friend.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

You can hold one of those congrats in reserve for the next time you have a successful recovery. :)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”