Diecast Collecting: Farm toys

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
MissouriGuerrilla

Diecast Collecting: Farm toys

Post by MissouriGuerrilla » Tue May 24, 2022 4:13 pm

I was thinking of starting a hobby with the 70 piece John Deere play set. Adding to it little by little and building while moving pieces for different scenes and I had this question... do any of you have diecast farm vehicles, 1:64 in scale? Also, any regular pickups in 1:64 diecast. If you have any pics to post, I would be greatly appreciative! Just if you have any on your computer. Not asking to take them specifically for this.

Thanks! ::tu::

cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Diecast Collecting: Farm toys

Post by cody6268 » Tue May 24, 2022 4:35 pm

I have quite a few. Most ERTL. Here are a few photos I already had on the PC. The 70 piece playset is a good starter. However, some of the tractors (the tracked one is around HO by my math) are oddly scaled in those budget ranges.

However, I think SpecCast is the best there is. Unlike the high detail ERTL models, they can still fit standard implements.

Massey Ferguson 8730S
51737535416_e422b91d30_k.jpg
This is from the "Authentics" series, which has far more detail than the average 1:64 ERTL you'll find in stores. My local Deere dealership had this one on sale last year for $20--and they move toys slowly there, so they may still have some more. MSRP was near $35-40.
KIMG1986.JPG

Scale Models are made here, but they're a little basic in the detail department. Joseph Ertl founded the company after selling his namesake toy company off in the early '80s.

This Minnieapolis Moline is pretty early, and was retooled from a 1980s era plastic model (up until the very late '80s, everything they made was unlicensed and plastic--with MM being one of the first licensed brands).

If I recall what the original owner told me correctly, he says the decals are aftermarket, since it was still a generic casting at the time.

50879610622_e5a5e4bb30_k.jpg
KIMG1278.JPG
The early '90s Ford/Versatiles are a pretty big improvement.
51953169533_1777857fae_k.jpg
They did a few John Deere models as well--one of them being a 5020. Note they never did it with yellow wheels to avoid getting sued.
KIMG2291.JPG

Greenlight has some decently detailed tractors in a series called "Down on the Farm", but their Case and White/Oliver/Minneapolis Molines are generic. Fords remain the only licensed ones they offer. Hitches are also too small for ERTL implements.

This is an 8N with cab.
KIMG1069.JPG
ERTL has a few trucks, but they're pricey at $10-12 for no interiors at all. Greenlight's are around half that, but the quality leaves a bit to be desired. The AMR IndyCar Safety Team truck has a rear axle that is a hair's width short, and the wheels don't attach well.
KIMG4343.JPG
51597031635_aeb2d12581_k.jpg
Only 1:64 UTV is by ERTL. Don't know why they didn't keep the Polaris license up and issue 1:64 Polaris.
KIMG1063(1).JPG

MissouriGuerrilla

Post by MissouriGuerrilla » Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 pm

Hey cody,

That's some good stuff! Thanks for the response and details!

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid real expensive diecasts. Some of the Hot Wheels are insane. Maybe, I need to stick with some of those cheaper toys you see in grocery stores. :lol: ::nod::

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jmh58 » Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm

MissouriGuerrilla wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 pm
Hey cody,

Yeah, I was hoping to avoid real expensive diecasts. Some of the Hot Wheels are insane. Maybe, I need to stick with some of those cheaper toys you see in grocery stores. :lol: ::nod::
TSC at Christmas time always has a pretty good selection.. And each TSC gets some thing different sometimes..
John
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

MissouriGuerrilla

Post by MissouriGuerrilla » Wed May 25, 2022 4:02 pm

jmh58 wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:08 pm
MissouriGuerrilla wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 4:57 pm
Hey cody,

TSC at Christmas time always has a pretty good selection.. And each TSC gets some thing different sometimes..
John
Thanks, John! ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”