Show off your best looking Delrin Handles!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Show off your best looking Delrin Handles!

Post by toomanyknives »

I know some will say there is no such thing as good looking Delrin. But, I have a couple that I think they did a pretty good job with. Anyone else have one they really like?

Here are my two favorites. My Ulster Punch Stockman and my Camillus small lockback. I've always liked the Delrin or synthetic, whichever you'd like to call it on these two..Even though it shrunk a bit on the Ulster...
IMG_2232 (2).JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Show off your best looking Delrin Handles!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Although I generally consider “best looking Delrin” an oxymoron, I’d say that Camillus wins the prize (at very least honorable mention)! ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm I know some will say there is no such thing as good looking Delrin. But, I have a couple that I think they did a pretty good job with. Anyone else have one they really like?

Here are my two favorites. My Ulster Punch Stockman and my Camillus small lockback. I've always liked the Delrin or synthetic, whichever you'd like to call it on these two..Even though it shrunk a bit on the Ulster...

IMG_2232 (2).JPG
I’m not a great fan of Delrin but some of them do look natural. I think the closest it ever came to natural bone were the Queen Winterbottom Delrins. It’s sometimes hard to tell it apart from the genuine article. I must admit I’m a huge fan of real Winterbottom bone. It’s my favorite handle material.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm I know some will say there is no such thing as good looking Delrin. But, I have a couple that I think they did a pretty good job with.
Were you thinking specifically of Delrin made to look like jigged bone? If so, I have one or two in my collection that could qualify.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:43 pm Although I generally consider “best looking Delrin” an oxymoron, I’d say that Camillus wins the prize (at very least honorable mention)! ::nod::

Ken
Yep, I know what you mean, Ken. Most Delrin is pretty boring. I just thought these two looked better than most..
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

OSCAR wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 6:54 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm I know some will say there is no such thing as good looking Delrin. But, I have a couple that I think they did a pretty good job with. Anyone else have one they really like?

IMG_2232 (2).JPG
I’m not a great fan of Delrin but some of them do look natural. I think the closest it ever came to natural bone were the Queen Winterbottom Delrins. It’s sometimes hard to tell it apart from the genuine article. I must admit I’m a huge fan of real Winterbottom bone. It’s my favorite handle material.
I really like Winterbottom too, Oscar. I have a few Queen knives with Delrin handles that are pretty good.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 7:13 pm
toomanyknives wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 3:37 pm I know some will say there is no such thing as good looking Delrin. But, I have a couple that I think they did a pretty good job with.
Were you thinking specifically of Delrin made to look like jigged bone? If so, I have one or two in my collection that could qualify.
Just in general, Dan. I tend to like the ones where it looks like the company at least tried to make them look like bone or stag.
I thought it might be cool to see a few good looking ones. I don't think it's starting out too well. Ha! ::shrug::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Delrin doesn't get any better than UH staglon for look and feel ::tu::
Attachments
IMG_1182.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 pm Delrin doesn't get any better than UH staglon for look and feel ::tu::
I do like those a lot, GDogg. I have many of them, and they really hold up well..
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Schrade and Camillus did a really good job on woodgrain Delrin.
IMG_20220417_203521.jpg
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

cody6268 wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:57 am Schrade and Camillus did a really good job on woodgrain Delrin.

IMG_20220417_203521.jpg
That's a good lookin' one, Cody..
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I think Ulster did an excellent job with these Barlows . . . assuming it's actually Delrin? ::shrug::
Attachments
IMG_20220426_080618862.jpg
IMG_20220426_080630532.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

1967redrider wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 2:51 am I think Ulster did an excellent job with these Barlows . . . assuming it's actually Delrin? ::shrug::
They did do a good job on those sawcut handles, RR. That's a nice knife!
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

It's not my favorite handle material for looks, although I think some of it is rather handsome, it's tough and wears well over time. I may be a little prejudiced but I prefer it to the plastics of late. ymmv ::handshake::
Attachments
20220516_071835.jpg
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I agree with Mumblelypeg that Camillus' "India Stag" is very nice. Meanwhile, the Ulster in the OP image is not Delrin; it is an earlier synthetic that is sometimes referred to by collectors as 'shrinky dink.'
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

tongueriver wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:34 pm I agree with Mumblelypeg that Camillus' "India Stag" is very nice. Meanwhile, the Ulster in the OP image is not Delrin; it is an earlier synthetic that is sometimes referred to by collectors as 'shrinky dink.'
Yeah you're right TR, I probably should have used the word "synthetic" in my title. I was using "Delrin" kind of as a generic term like Kleenex is used for tissue paper. I really like Case "Rough Black" too, but it isn't Delrin either.
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

bighomer wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:01 pm It's not my favorite handle material for looks, although I think some of it is rather handsome, it's tough and wears well over time. I may be a little prejudiced but I prefer it to the plastics of late. ymmv ::handshake::
Now that's a really nice group of knives Homer! Some real lookers there for sure! ::tu::
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

garddogg56 wrote: Sun May 15, 2022 10:37 pm Delrin doesn't get any better than UH staglon for look and feel ::tu::
Amen! Here's my little Uncle Henry family. From top to bottom: 707UH, 833UH, 834UH, and 197UH.
Uncle Henry Family.jpg
Some Delrin that isn't trying to imitate stag or jigged bone, and is probably better off for it.
3137 And 3318.jpg
And finally, some Delrin or other synthetic that doesn't look that great.
Paratrooper Auto.jpg
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Camillus #6.
Sword001.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Delrin is one of my favorite handle materials for a carry knife. Mainly because it does not break if I drop my knife, or shrink or crack or outgas. Some of it looks good, too. There are some nice examples of good looking Delrin posted here.

My favorite Delrin knives were all made by Schrade.

The top knife is a Schrade 804, the bottom knife is a Craftsman 9488 (made by Schrade). These are two of my favorite users.
Schrade and Craftsman
Schrade and Craftsman
Top knife is a Craftsman 9554. Bottom knife is a Craftsman 9488, another of my favorite users.
Craftsman knives
Craftsman knives
These two knives are Schrade's Tennessee and Kentucky Whittlers. They are nice knives, but the main blades are a bit too thick for my taste as a user, so they stay in the display. I like the Delrin on these: it does not seem to have been used on very many knives.
Schrade Knives
Schrade Knives
Mel
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Enjoying the Delrin Show Guys!!!
All lookers being posted!!
John ✨
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

tongueriver wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 1:34 pm I agree with Mumblelypeg that Camillus' "India Stag" is very nice. Meanwhile, the Ulster in the OP image is not Delrin; it is an earlier synthetic that is sometimes referred to by collectors as 'shrinky dink.'

Thanks for clarification, tongue. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dan In MI wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:33 pm
Amen! Here's my little Uncle Henry family. From top to bottom: 707UH, 833UH, 834UH, and 197UH.

Uncle Henry Family.jpg

Some Delrin that isn't trying to imitate stag or jigged bone, and is probably better off for it.

3137 And 3318.jpg

And finally, some Delrin or other synthetic that doesn't look that great.

Paratrooper Auto.jpg
Those are some goodies there, Dan...
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

Dinadan wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 6:18 pm Delrin is one of my favorite handle materials for a carry knife. Mainly because it does not break if I drop my knife, or shrink or crack or outgas. Some of it looks good, too. There are some nice examples of good looking Delrin posted here.

My favorite Delrin knives were all made by Schrade.

The top knife is a Schrade 804, the bottom knife is a Craftsman 9488 (made by Schrade). These are two of my favorite users.
Schrade-Delrin11.jpg

Top knife is a Craftsman 9554. Bottom knife is a Craftsman 9488, another of my favorite users.
Schrade-Delrin34.jpg

These two knives are Schrade's Tennessee and Kentucky Whittlers. They are nice knives, but the main blades are a bit too thick for my taste as a user, so they stay in the display. I like the Delrin on these: it does not seem to have been used on very many knives.
Schrade-Delrin22.jpg
Some very nice ones there, Mel..
toomanyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by toomanyknives »

tongueriver wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:35 pm Camillus #6.
Sword001.jpg
Very nice, TR!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”