Case Knife Question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
just bob

Case Knife Question

Post by just bob »

Not my knife. Saw this online and wondered is there any chance in the world the blade on the knife at the top is original or has it been worked down? This is the only picture there is of it and it isn't good. I think the blade has been reshaped, but hoping for a rare find and that seldom happens.
Attachments
yyyyyyy.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Knife Question

Post by 1967redrider »

Looks like one of those type-setting blades on a -92. First one I have seen, I bet Steve would know for sure. ::nod::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

Bob, I've never seen anything like that. It would seem a piece of hardened steel that thin would not be good for any use involving torque or bending forces like screw driving or whittling. I can't imagine a purpose for it, but, who knows? Too bad there's not a couple more views. Looks like somebody needed it! It's a mystery. Good luck. J.O'.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

I have seen that blade before but it was on a Schrade Cut Co. I don't recall ever seeing one on a Case knife. It'll be interesting to see Steve's comments.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I heard references to "type setting" blades twice before. I don't know anything about the printer's art but would be very interested in a description of how a type setting blade is used. Someone said in an earlier post the blade below was a type setting tool. It's a bit different from the one above. LOA=2.75". Just wondering. Thanks. J.O'
Attachments
IMG_3666.jpg
IMG_3667.jpg
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

By the way. This tool's handle is gold stamped "USE VICTOR'S" . No tang stamp, just "NO62" on the blade. ????? (Don't mean to usurp your post Bob. Thought it might be related.} J.O'.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Knife appears to be a delrin handle USA or newer model. The head end bolster looks a bit out of shape. I doubt it is factory original. Maybe someone else knows what it is.
Attachments
3 case.jpg
3 case.jpg (48.42 KiB) Viewed 1517 times
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

FWIW I’ve never seen a Case with a blade like the OP knife, either in person or in pictures. It does look like a typesetter tool but those I’ve seen are typically longer. Maybe a homemade one? Here are a few pictures of typesetter’s blades from older posts here on AAPK.

J.O., your knife looks to me to be a hoof pick.

Ken
Attachments
4DAAF7F1-F323-4926-BE7E-94D930B88B1F.jpeg
1B5673A8-58A0-437D-BD55-2F040396476B.jpeg
5FF1F489-E109-4DD8-887A-A27837D60E10.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

MPeg, I think so too but it's really small. ?? Maybe a golf club groove cleaner ?? Still like to know how a typesetter blade is used. That pic looks highly specialized.. Thanks. J.O'.
Ridgegrass
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ridgegrass »

I tend to agree with Wayne. The blade in question on the OP knife appears to have no tang. Looks homemade ?? J.O'.
just bob

Post by just bob »

These knives are located within 25 miles of me in an online auction. They have a lot of hunting & fishing equipment. Funny but when I saw this knife, I never even thought of it as a possible typesetter's knife. I thought more like one of those Remington bird knives where you use the blade to adjust the choke on the gun. I am going to go for the knives if they go within reason. The one older Case knife should be worth the price of admission. If I do get them, I'll post more pictures. Thank you, Wayne, for editing the photo. I doubt it came from the factory this way and has been modified to suit a specific purpose. We may never know why for sure. It would make a good EDC if someone put the right blade in it.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Froe

Post by Froe »

It does look like part of a typesetting blade. I understand they were used to pick out individual pieces of type from the chase when composing metal type for letter presses. Like if a correction was required or similar. It wouldn’t require hard torquing. But even the mechanical Linotype era was pretty much over by the advent of Delrin (around 1960?). Compositors setting individual type by hand from a job case would be an even smaller market for such a knife by the 1950’s. The ones I’ve seen were bone scaled from before the 1930’s. And most of those were Challenge Cutlery. I have one such Challenge but it’s pretty much a relic with only the pick blade still intact.
Froe
tallguy606

Post by tallguy606 »

I have a Remington (Camillus) waterfowl knife with a blade similar to that. It is a pin punch, for pushing out the pins holding the trigger group on Remington shotguns.
just bob

Post by just bob »

I didn't win those knives. They brought $65 + 8% sales tax + 15% buyer's premium. Considering only a picture showing one side of the knives was given and absolutely no description I thought I would pass on them. 23% on top of the purchase price makes things dicey and at least in this area that isn't uncommon at all.

btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

just bob wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:17 pm I didn't win those knives. They brought $65 + 8% sales tax + 15% buyer's premium. Considering only a picture showing one side of the knives was given and absolutely no description I thought I would pass on them. 23% on top of the purchase price makes things dicey and at least in this area that isn't uncommon at all.
Too bad you didn't get them but at the selling price I understand. Would have been nice to get some better pictures.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”