I own a fake Keen Kutter and a broken heart!

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
STLChris

I own a fake Keen Kutter and a broken heart!

Post by STLChris »

Well folks, I got burnt. I let my love for Keen Kutter and Coke bottles blind me.

How do I know it is a fake?

1. Keen Kutter never made a Coke Bottle with the Copperhead bolster
2. The stamp abbreviates St. Louis to “STL”. I can’t find another example of this, which most likely means it is not authentic.
3. The pattern number does not appear to be a KK. This one is a little tricky. The font is consistent with others I’ve seen and not all KK patterns start with a ‘K’. I can’t find any record of this pattern number existing—42402.
4. The bone and jigging are unlike any other KK.

If someone can prove me wrong and that this knife is authentic, please do! I’ll make it worth your while!
38C2006D-6214-47E4-BFFF-C3C1579E47F6.jpeg
60D24CC9-75AE-4F92-91F4-FF8D58450E2E.jpeg
85E9E0B2-33E7-4571-8EC5-7E1841DDF90D.jpeg
CC911D9E-3818-4338-B6B3-3DFEAF2DF68F.jpeg
5C7E5342-03CC-41E2-82F2-47A781EDA843.jpeg
B83EC364-5456-4126-9439-5BB73491415E.jpeg
A9949F65-1F3A-42A7-B340-1B84F04FF1C9.jpeg
Attachments
87F9A2B3-8E8D-422B-B211-38A155B6A9A6.jpeg
Chris | River City Knife Traders
Ivoryman

Re: I own a fake Keen Kutter and a broken heart!

Post by Ivoryman »

Sorry to hear all that, and my sympathies big time. I feel your loss. Don't know where you got it, but maybe you can return it and ask for a refund and at least not eat the cost. The other side of it is this is still a decent knife if it's a Case Classic, and you have a one of a kind stamp for one, and the bones are beauties for two, and it looks to be in working order. Good user at the very least and fake credentials or not, it looks like great shape and will definitely cut whatever you need cut. Get some use out of it. Chalk it up to learned experience and now you know what I know, that used knife sellers are like used car salesmen. Many if not most will sell you a lemon and call it a peach and gladly rip you off and steal your money. Something to keep in mind in the world of used and secondary market knife trading. There are some great guys and sellers here on AAPK and there are con men and thieves online elsewhere or places like feebay. Buyer beware and trust your gut if it looks or sounds too good to be true. Live and learn and now you'll be much more savy next time.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Sorry you got clipped Chris. ::facepalm:: It's still a fine looking knife and I'm sure totally useable, so what I-man said is so true, it's one that you'll live with and learn from for next time. BTW, ::welcome:: to AAPK! ::handshake:: 8)
8)
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

That knife did not start as a Case Classic - the tooling for the Case Classics swell centers was different.

That one appears to be made out of a Queen #38 "Jumbo". The checkered pull would make it an older Queen #38, I think.

Image from a 1953 Queen catalog.
Attachments
Queen Cutlery Catalog 1953.jpg
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
STLChris

Post by STLChris »

knifeaholic wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 12:25 am That knife did not start as a Case Classic - the tooling for the Case Classics swell centers was different.

That one appears to be made out of a Queen #38 "Jumbo". The checkered pull would make it an older Queen #38, I think.

Image from a 1953 Queen catalog.
Thanks, brother! You saved me some money by pointing this out the other day. I appreciate ya!
Chris | River City Knife Traders

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”