Pre Shop Smith, shop Smith

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Maddogfl

Pre Shop Smith, shop Smith

Post by Maddogfl »

It 2018 I picked this old tool up in an antique store for a song. As it sat, in the store, it would have been suicide to plug it in based on the condition of the cord. I bought it because I thought it was cool, and I still do. The thing has been in my way in my workshop ever since. Today, I decided to start fixing it up. Yep, I have too much time on my hands. ;) It is a Stanley Handyman. It is one of those tools that do a lot of things but none of them particularly well. It has a 6" table saw that does not retract, (and no guards) a grinder, disk sander and a joiner. It even has the original protractor/fence.

I put a new cord, grounded this time, and a saw blade on it, plugged it in, expecting arc'n and spark'n, smoke and sparks, but it worked. It is about the scariest tool I have ever seen, with all four tools running at once. What ever you use, you need to put your other hand in your back pocket to keep it out of another rotating object. The OSHA man would go insane looking at this tool. The previous owner was probably called Stubby after running this machine.

I am going to do some restoration to the old tool and set it up as a conversation piece. When I started disassembly I saw that the massive 1/3 HP motor was dated 1956. When I get 'er done, probably about nest Tuesday, I will put up some new pics.
Attachments
DSCN2755.JPG
DS7054~1.JPG
DSCN2758.JPG
DSCN2759.JPG
rea1eye

Re: Pre Shop Smith, shop Smith

Post by rea1eye »

Interesting tool. Never saw one like it before.

What years was it produced?

Bob
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I had a former co-worker who loved his. It was a bit newer, had some guards, and a whole passel of accessories and attachments.
I have never used one, myself.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

rea1eye wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:13 am Interesting tool. Never saw one like it before.

What years was it produced?

Bob
The motor had a 1956 date on it. Trying to find any information about these tools on line is very difficult. I had never seen one either.
marinaio61

Post by marinaio61 »

First project might be to make some custom guards!
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

Here is the "After." Rust gone, new belt, new grinder on the way, greased, oiled and ready to take a finger. Before you ask, the top was painted blue as was the rest of the machine, except for the under side that was painted black. That color is a close enough match for the Stanley blue.

I am going to devise a guard for that blade.
Attachments
DSCN2760.JPG
DSCN2762.JPG
DSCN2763.JPG
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

My last job before I retired was working at a contractor supply/power tool shop. One of the manufactures of table saws had a special once where you could trade in any table saw and get $200 off a new one. Someone traded in one of those Stanley's and bought a new saw. I would have liked to buy it, but per my employers agreement with the manufacturer sponsoring the sale, all the trade ins were impounded and put on a truck to send off to be destroyed. You really did a nice job restoring that one.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”