Knife Design failure: OPINION

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Maddogfl

Knife Design failure: OPINION

Post by Maddogfl »

I understand that companies keep reinventing the wheel due to the needs of marketing. Sometimes things go right an innovation wins the day. Other times not so much. Here are three that I had to have at the time and that have spent decades in the bottom of drawers. The Boker-Matic got me so disgusted when the spring failed that I took off the button, ground down the stud and made it into a gravity knife, that functions a lot better than the original design; it is just junk. The SOG (or fake SOG, I am not sure) it too heavy and clunky to ever carry in a pocket, and in my opinion, pocket knives are for the pocket, not to clip on your pants. The Camillus Lev-R-Lock is just clunky and serves some need that doesn't exist.

In fairness, I think most of these were marketed before good spring assist knives were prevalent, but that doesn't forgive crappy design.
Attachments
DSCN2447.JPG
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife Design failure: OPINION

Post by Madmarco »

Too bad they didn't live up to spec M.D., not bad lookin' knives. And I love anything that operates automatically, even though the Boker-Matic needs to be pushed open instead of by a button. 8)
8)
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

On the Boker- is there anything to hold the blade open/closed? If so it would work like this German tactical.
Attachments
signal-2020-05-17-172032.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:35 pm On the Boker- is there anything to hold the blade open/closed? If so it would work like this German tactical.
If I'm not mistaken John, ::shrug:: when you slide the blade open there's a small notch at the end of the channel that the knob slips into to lock it open. 8)
8)
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:35 pm On the Boker- is there anything to hold the blade open/closed? If so it would work like this German tactical.
The scales on one side pivot in about the center with light finger pressure. There is a stud on the blade and notch in either end to either hold the blade open or closed. The blade is so sloppy in the channel that you shift the panels, flick the wrist and it will pop open. To close it, shift the panel again and just point it up and it will drop back in the closed position. When the blade is deployed it has a lot of motion, even when new and working as designed. It is really a junky piece. When I think about the time that this knife was released, switchblades were uncommon and generally illegal. I guess the spring blade retraction was as close as some folks could come to a switchblade.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, gentlemen. ::handshake::

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
eveled

Post by eveled »

Add the Case Russlock to your list
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

I have the same Boker-matic and was never really happy with it. I got it around ‘93 and at the time the assisted open were not available like they are now. It was always cumbersome to operate, but I will say mine is still tight and functional. I like the Russlock blade shape and geometry but the opening tang isn’t the greatest design.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

C-WADE7 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 am I have the same Boker-matic and was never really happy with it. I got it around ‘93 and at the time the assisted open were not available like they are now. It was always cumbersome to operate, but I will say mine is still tight and functional. I like the Russlock blade shape and geometry but the opening tang isn’t the greatest design.

I like the drop point Russlock better than the clip.

C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by C-WADE7 »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 am
C-WADE7 wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 2:08 am I have the same Boker-matic and was never really happy with it. I got it around ‘93 and at the time the assisted open were not available like they are now. It was always cumbersome to operate, but I will say mine is still tight and functional. I like the Russlock blade shape and geometry but the opening tang isn’t the greatest design.

I agree the drop point is better hands down.
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

1967redrider wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:27 am

The Russlock it fine if you grind the opener off! ;)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”