Wallkill River Works Jack

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Wallkill River Works Jack

Post by Lama »

Here's one I had on eBay and another member informed me that it's probably a recent Asian knife. I pulled it and apologize if anyone here was a bidder, but better safe than sorry. Hopefully it will serve a purpose here as an example. I know very little about Wallkill and New York Knife patterns. But in retrospect, the jigging seems kind of off, as does the stamp and the blades' final finish.
IMG_0634.jpeg
IMG_0635.jpeg
IMG_0636.jpeg
IMG_0637.jpeg
IMG_0639.jpeg
IMG_0640.jpeg
IMG_0641.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0643.jpeg
FRJ

Re: Wallkill River Works Jack

Post by FRJ »

Here are a couple of Wallkill stamps.
Attachments
DSCN9866.JPG
DSCN9872.JPG
Joe
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Thanks for the photos of the stamps, FRJ. They appear to be a very close match, if not identical. There is no patina on my knife's blades. Two other things the eBay messager pointed out is Wallkill did not make this pattern or present nail pulls with a match strike.

BTW, those are two really nice knives! They have the look of two well maintained old knives.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Lama, sadly your knife is not an original Wallkill River Works knife made in Walden. Who or where it was made I have no idea, but it is a modern knife.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

You did the right thing, Lama. Research is a big part of interacting with knives.
Everyone here appreciates a honorable transaction.
Thank you and welcome to the forum. ::nod::
Joe
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

::welcome::
Welcome, and thank you for posting this. It helps all of us to see examples of counterfeits, as it helps everyone to know what to look for. I hate that you got burned on it, but you did the right thing.
On the bright side, you might grind out the fake stamp and use that knife up. It looks sturdy enough to be a good user, so at least it won't be a total loss.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
SteveD12

Post by SteveD12 »

Welcome Lama and thank you for being so honest about your ebay listings - i'm new here too but I can already tell that not every ebay seller has the integrity that you do.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

eBay is dog eat dog and let the buyer beware. Thanks for your honesty and ::welcome:: to AAPK.

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Lama
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Lama »

Thanks for the replies and info. This particular knife was part of a larger lot I bought at a live auction earlier this year. There were a few other nice knives and some junk. This knife falls under the category of, “you win some and you loose some.” It is a sturdy knife, so maybe I will file the stamp and sell it with other Asian users.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”