Multi-purpose knife question

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
BastiColler

Multi-purpose knife question

Post by BastiColler » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:56 am

Obviously the main style knives to consider are the European (french) chefs knives, the Japanese Chef knife (Gyuto) and the Santoku. When looking around the internet on a variety of forums of home cooks to professionals, the majority will say the gyuto is the most versatile/if you could have one knife it should be this type. However, if its made properly, with high carbon steel then it is risky cutting through small bones on for example a chicken as it can chip? Whereas a western knife being slightly softer can handle it (normally). So wouldn't that make the western chefs knife the "if you could only have one knife" knife as there are somethings you just cant risk on a gyuto? I mean there are so many styles for all purposes, if Japanese is the way you want to go then im sure the harder blade is better if you then had knives for other jobs.

Just curious to what people think. I have currently a cheap £40 Euro chefs knife and I would love to have a Japanese life since I love their food and culture, but I do not think I should bother if I could only have the one knife.

Cheers.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Multi-purpose knife question

Post by Mumbleypeg » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 am

Welcome to AAPK. This being a pocket knife forum, when you say “multi-purpose knife” very few if anyone who frequents this site are going to think of chef’s knives. You might get more interest and response regarding your post on another forum, but best place for that here is the “In the Kitchen” subforum viewforum.php?f=41. You may want to put your post there where it may get more attention. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:12 am

I have a few kitchen knives with VG-10 blades. There are other super steels out there that will outperform VG-10, but I like it for it's all-around utility. I have a few Santoku (one large and one mini), and I am pretty happy with their performance. However, I see where the shape of the Gyuto would be versatile for many kitchen operations.

Steve Warden
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Steve Warden » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 pm

First, welcome aboard!! Glad to have you.

Ken speaks truth. The first thing I thought of was a multi-tool knife, such as the Leatherman. Chef's knives never crossed my mind.
Mumbleypeg wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:04 am
Welcome to AAPK. This being a pocket knife forum, when you say “multi-purpose knife” very few if anyone who frequents this site are going to think of chef’s knives.
Hope you get answers that will lead to a knife you're pleased with! ::tu::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:28 am

Carter Cutlery
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

Return to “General Knife Discussion”