Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Post Reply
Treasure Trawler
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:30 am

Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Treasure Trawler » Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 pm

Hey all, I found this old advertising knife in this box. This looks to be old but I’m not sure if it’s a reproduction? Is it the original box? I’m wondering if there’s any value here? I usually go after older recognized pk’s. I know there’s also collectibility in automotive. Does this hold more value because of the Packard reference possibly?
8D46E939-42C5-4F57-AC2F-ED4E301F0438.jpeg
75CD4305-522A-4467-BC53-CD54D42F310A.jpeg
The grass withers the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Isa 40:8

User avatar
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4758
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:48 am
Location: The Crossroads of America

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by edge213 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:54 pm

Treasure Trawler wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 pm
Hey all, I found this old advertising knife in this box. This looks to be old but I’m not sure if it’s a reproduction? Is it the original box? I’m wondering if there’s any value here? I usually go after older recognized pk’s. I know there’s also collectibility in automotive. Does this hold more value because of the Packard reference possibly?

8D46E939-42C5-4F57-AC2F-ED4E301F0438.jpeg
75CD4305-522A-4467-BC53-CD54D42F310A.jpeg
Made by Colonial. Not a reproduction. Very low value to a pocket knife collector.
Maybe a little more to a Packard collector.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Froe
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:31 am

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Froe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:45 am

I agree that it isn't very valuable. But it is really cool. Take it to a car show.
Froe

User avatar
Ridgegrass
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: Ocean City, MD
Contact:

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Ridgegrass » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 am

Always like the ones with 3 or 4 digit phone-numbers. Think Packard's last year was '55 or so. Cool piece in nice shape. J.O'.

Dan In MI
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:00 am
Location: Michigan, at the base of the thumb
Contact:

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Dan In MI » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:09 am

Ridgegrass wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:49 am
Think Packard's last year was '55 or so.
Packard lasted until 1958, but the 1957 and 1958 models were redesigned Studebakers. The last year that Packards were truly Packards were 1956.

That's a neat knife. It would look good sitting on the dashboard of a restored Packard at a car show.
So many knives, so few dollars.

Variety is the spice of knife!

Treasure Trawler
Posts: 244
Joined: Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:30 am

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Treasure Trawler » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:21 am

Thanks. What age do you think this is? It’s got brass bolster, bale and pins. When did they stop using 4 digits? Ridgegrass are you old enough to remember those days??
The grass withers the flower fades but the Word of our God stands forever. Isa 40:8

User avatar
Ridgegrass
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2020 2:04 pm
Location: Ocean City, MD
Contact:

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Ridgegrass » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 pm

Again, that 4 digit phone number says something about age. Unless it was in a small town where those numbers may have lasted longer, but would there have been a Packard dealer in a small town? ::shrug:: Someone who worked for the phone companies may know how long 4 digit numbers were around. I think our number in suburban Baltimore became 7 digits in the early fifties when we got dial service as opposed to operator assist. Too bad the advertising doesn't give the city or town. Good luck, J.O'.

User avatar
cody6268
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 2441
Joined: Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:51 pm
Location: Southwestern Virginia

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by cody6268 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:03 pm

Ridgegrass wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:46 pm
Again, that 4 digit phone number says something about age. Unless it was in a small town where those numbers may have lasted longer, but would there have been a Packard dealer in a small town? ::shrug:: Someone who worked for the phone companies may know how long 4 digit numbers were around. I think our number in suburban Baltimore became 7 digits in the early fifties when we got dial service as opposed to operator assist. Too bad the advertising doesn't give the city or town. Good luck, J.O'.

I know of a town of less than 500 people that had a dealership which sold Ford cars and John Deere tractors from the '40s until 2005 when Ford shut them down. I know this as I purchased a handful of pieces from the owner's collection; and was in the process of returning to Union, WV to purchase the rest of it when I learned a reseller had purchased most of it.

knife7knut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 9286
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Tecumseh,Michigan

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by knife7knut » Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:25 pm

If you have a little time and patience,Google,"Packard dealerships in and around 1953" and it will take you to a site that lists all the Packard dealerships in business in 1953 which is about the timeline of your knife.The list is arranged alphabetically by state.The length of the address suggests to me that it might be from a Midwest state(New England states don't have numbers that go that high usually).It might take awhile.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Dan In MI
Posts: 426
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:00 am
Location: Michigan, at the base of the thumb
Contact:

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by Dan In MI » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:13 pm

Out of curiousity and a desire to do some detective work, I searchef for that dealership. I do believe I found it: Russell, Harmon, & Roush, Inc. of Cincinnati. Google Maps street view seems to show that the building is vacant, and gives the vague description of "building." The dealership list can be found by digging around https://www.packardinfo.com (my tablet won't let me paste anything beyond that).
So many knives, so few dollars.

Variety is the spice of knife!

knife7knut
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Posts: 9286
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:02 pm
Location: Tecumseh,Michigan

Re: Packard Advertising Knife collectible?

Post by knife7knut » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:33 pm

Dan In MI wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:13 pm
Out of curiousity and a desire to do some detective work, I searchef for that dealership. I do believe I found it: Russell, Harmon, & Roush, Inc. of Cincinnati. Google Maps street view seems to show that the building is vacant, and gives the vague description of "building." The dealership list can be found by digging around https://www.packardinfo.com (my tablet won't let me paste anything beyond that).
Great detective work Dan! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Post Reply

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”