A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
toomanyknives

A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

Post by toomanyknives » Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm

Anyone else have a pattern that they say, "nah, I don't collect those". Then one day you look up and it appears that you actually do collect them.
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink:
IMG_1637 (2).JPG

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A pattern you thought you didn't collect...

Post by glennbad » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm

For me it was Barlows. I didn't really care for them, but what do you know, I had a handful of them. Now I love them!

See the smaller drawer in this pic. Now I think I have twice as many... ::facepalm::
cs3.jpg

toomanyknives

Post by toomanyknives » Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:26 pm

glennbad wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm
For me it was Barlows. I didn't really care for them, but what do you know, I had a handful of them. Now I love them!

See the smaller drawer in this pic. Now I think I have twice as many... ::facepalm::

cs3.jpg
I love A good Barlow, Glenn! You have some nice ones! ::tu::

DocZ2006
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by DocZ2006 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:53 pm

glennbad wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 3:07 pm

Definitely Barlows for me. Unlike glennbad, I haven't gotten to the point of loving them, but I do find myself with more and more of them.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm

What does it take to make a "collection"? Can you (like you guys) accidentally start a collection or can you have (just for arguments sake, let's say) a dozen or more of a certain pattern/color/blade profile/brand and not call it a collection? Just curious. I guess what I'm asking is does intent factor into it?
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by tongueriver » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm

I have never collected electrician knives, but, oddly, I seem to have four of them, all pre-war, non-GI (non TL-29). A Cattaraugus, An Ulster and two Schrade CutCos. Very pretty ones. So, they are not eggs so they are not a clutch, not crows, so not a murder, not quail so not a covey, more than two so not a bevy. Hmmm... perhaps a collection? In THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY, Robert Ruark would have called them a "bait."

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm

toomanyknives wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:51 pm
Anyone else have a pattern that they say, "nah, I don't collect those". Then one day you look up and it appears that you actually do collect them.
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink: IMG_1637 (2).JPG
Very nice group Kerry! ::tu:: For me it's stilettos, but I'm fully aware of my obsession for them! 8)
8)

toomanyknives

Post by toomanyknives » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 pm
What does it take to make a "collection"? Can you (like you guys) accidentally start a collection or can you have (just for arguments sake, let's say) a dozen or more of a certain pattern/color/blade profile/brand and not call it a collection? Just curious. I guess what I'm asking is does intent factor into it?
Jerry, I kind of look at a "collection" as say 3 or 4 or more of at particular pattern that I intentionally go after. With the trappers, I never really went after them specifically, but would pick one up every so often, and before I knew it, I had a dozen. So, now I guess I have a "collection" of Trappers that I never intended to have. I guess my entire collection is made up of sub-groups, like patterns, brands, handle colors, handle types, and so on. You get it, any excuse to buy another knife!! :wink:

toomanyknives

Post by toomanyknives » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:50 pm

tongueriver wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:48 pm
I have never collected electrician knives, but, oddly, I seem to have four of them, all pre-war, non-GI (non TL-29). A Cattaraugus, An Ulster and two Schrade CutCos. Very pretty ones. So, they are not eggs so they are not a clutch, not crows, so not a murder, not quail so not a covey, more than two so not a bevy. Hmmm... perhaps a collection? In THE OLD MAN AND THE BOY, Robert Ruark would have called them a "bait."
I'm with you there Tongueriver. I am the same way with TL-29's and Scout knives. They just keep multiplying some how! :D

toomanyknives

Post by toomanyknives » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm
toomanyknives wrote:
Apparently with me it's the Trapper, and Mini Trapper... :wink: IMG_1637 (2).JPG
Very nice group Kerry! ::tu:: For me it's stilettos, but I'm fully aware of my obsession for them! 8)
Now Marco, I don't think it counts when you have 40 of something. At that point, I think you're buying them on purpose!! :D Hope you're doing well my friend. Let's wish for a great year ahead, full of new knives!!

msteele6
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by msteele6 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 pm

Nice knives being shown! ::tu::

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:52 pm

toomanyknives wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:53 pm
Madmarco wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:50 pm
toomanyknives wrote:
Now Marco, I don't think it counts when you have 40 of something. At that point, I think you're buying them on purpose!! :D Hope you're doing well my friend. Let's wish for a great year ahead, full of new knives!!
Amen Kerry, ::pray:: amen! 8)
8)

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 am

I know what you mean, without even trying I have accumulated several fishing knives and daddy barrows. I think most of them have been given to me by various people.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

toomanyknives

Post by toomanyknives » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:11 am

OLDE CUTLER wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:19 am
I know what you mean, without even trying I have accumulated several fishing knives and daddy barrows. I think most of them have been given to me by various people.
Yep, I know that feeling, OC. But, I never turn down a free knife! :D

Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI » Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:45 am

msteele6 wrote:
Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:53 pm
Nice knives being shown!
Seconded.

It remains to be seen if there are any patterns I don't seek out but seem to wind up with anyway. However, there are a few I can see myself actively seeking out.
Ratio of knives I like to dollars I have: approximately 100,000:1.

Variety is the spice of knife!

Return to “General Knife Discussion”