Ebay/Paypal question

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
wbrj01

Re: Ebay/Paypal question

Post by wbrj01 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:08 pm

tongueriver wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:44 pm
I ordered an item on Ebay with Paypal, 25 days ago and it has not shown up, although tracking shows that it was shipped a day or so after I ordered. I don't think that it will show; do I have any recourse? Considering that it was shipped, it is not the seller's fault (unless the packaging was poor).
Ebay will refund your money

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:31 pm

just bob wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 5:46 pm
Maybe? The ebay rep asked me if the item was paid for through pp or cc. They said if it had been through pp I could open a claim there. I don't know if the outcome would have been any different or not, but at least that would have been another step to take. As it is now I am SOL without a courtesy refund. All roads end here.
PayPal is pro-buyer and anti-seller. The seller pays all the fees and the seller takes all the risk.
If you ship an item and the mailman delivers it to the wrong house, you’ll lose your money and your product.
If a buyer decides they don't like an item they simply file a claim and use the “not as described” clause. PayPal takes the money out of your account while they “investigate” the claim and then routinely gives a refund to the customer.
Again you’ll lose your money and in some cases your product as well. According to them they do not have the ability to force the customer to return your product.
PayPal for buyers is a great deal. PayPal for sellers is a crap shoot.
Oh, and good luck getting a hold of someone who can intelligently answer your questions when you have an issue.
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
https://www.secondlifeknives.com

Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin » Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:00 pm

I also sell on the Bay and I had a buyer pull a shenanigan two nights ago and it was a shenanigan I had not previously encountered.
At the close of the auction the winning buyer, and he had bid 2 times, immediately wanted to cancel the transaction. Nothing was said about the reason for the request, just a simple request. I could refuse, wait for payment and, assuming he paid, wait for him to demand a return and refund. I called eBay and a very nice lady told basically that there was nothing to be done. I could accept or refuse. I immediately blocked him from bidding again, though if he changes his eBay name he can likely bid again.
The seller does not have a chance in eBay. Fortunately, this sort of thing does not happen very often but it sure raises my blood pressure when it does happen.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kootenay joe » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:48 am

Jeff, thanks for your post. You explain things the same way as i understand them. So i can now stop doubting myself and stop expecting any fairness towards the seller by ebay or PP.
kj

just bob
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by just bob » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 pm

Well I lost but at least I can say I went down swinging. I was contacted by ebay customer service via email, which is a very uncommon occurrence and asked to provide all additional information that I thought was relevant to my request for a courtesy refund. I did just that and cited the holiday postal backlog, Covid situation and the fact that I had attempted to contact the buyer through the ebay message system with no response. I will copy and past their reply for others that may face this situation.

Thanks for contacting us back about your appeal.

Your appeal is over 30 days from our final decision. As system is designed, 30 days is the maximum amount of time allowed to resolve a case in the Resolution Center; then, after the case is closed, you have 30 more days to request an appeal. Because it's after this second 30-day timeframe, we won't be able to accept your appeal.

We highly recommend for you to communicate with the buyer for him to ship the item back or return the money. If the buyer would agree to return the money you can send invoice to him through PayPal. Please know that the buyer is no longer obliged to return the money or the item.

We understand that some situations can prevent a timely response, but please keep in mind that these timeframes are for the benefit of both buyers and sellers. The 30-day limit on appeals allows us to be sure we're being consistent, and thus more fair, with all of our case decisions.

At this point, I encourage you to contact the buyer so they can help you communicate with the carrier with the item’s whereabouts.

Of course they don't offer any suggestions on what to do if the buyer won't respond or intercede for you? This is only a speed bump in the road and not a major hurdle for me. I have to say that ebay has improved so much in the last 10 years. In the old days it was a nightmare. You had to accept out of state personal checks and wait until they cleared your local bank. If you were a buyer and left bad feedback for a seller they would in turn leave bad feedback for you as a buyer. They have improved so many aspects of their services. They can never be perfect and please everyone involved. In my situation due to the Covid and holiday mail if they would have extended the deadlines just a bit they would have helped me I'm sure. My situation was one in ten thousand. As Doris Day once Said - Que, sera sera.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by tongueriver » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:57 pm

Update to OP post: The seller has refunded me. I will do the same for him if the package arrives some day.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”