Knife repair

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
CANTHOK

Knife repair

Post by CANTHOK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm

Looking for someone to replace knife handles for me. Muskrat Man is swamped so I need help.
Thanks

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife repair

Post by Mumbleypeg » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:16 pm

Someone may contact you, but if not Bill DeShivs has done excellent work for me. As has Case repair, but of course they only work on Case products.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY » Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:17 pm

CANTHOK wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Looking.....
Maybe here?
viewforum.php?f=37
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:18 pm

CANTHOK wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:57 pm
Looking for someone to replace knife handles for me. Muskrat Man is swamped so I need help.
Thanks
It would be really useful if you would have included more information in your original post. Is this a fixed blade knife or folder, is the old handle material celluloid, bone, Delrin, and what do you have in mind for the new material? Is it an older USA made knife or a more recent import? All these things are of vital interest to anyone contemplating taking on your project.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

CANTHOK

Post by CANTHOK » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 pm

My first objective was to find someone who does this work then add details. The knife is a 1940--63 model 54 trapper with yellow composition handles. I sent the knife to W R Case for repair--they said their policy covered the handles but did not have the materials for the repair because of the older model. Did not make sense to me in that they make 54 models today with the same handle material--sent me a new knife but kept my old trapper. I have requested a return but have not gotten it yet. Thanks guys for responding.

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k » Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:37 pm

CANTHOK wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:41 pm
My first objective was to find someone who does this work then add details. The knife is a 1940--63 model 54 trapper with yellow composition handles. I sent the knife to W R Case for repair--they said their policy covered the handles but did not have the materials for the repair because of the older model. Did not make sense to me in that they make 54 models today with the same handle material--sent me a new knife but kept my old trapper. I have requested a return but have not gotten it yet. Thanks guys for responding.
They kept your antique knife? I would be furious!
I am the NRA.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:55 pm

The warranty and repair section on the Case web site very clearly states, unless you tell them not to do so, if the knife is covered by their warranty and they can not repair it they may replace it with a new knife of a similar pattern. The return form has a box to check - “Does your knife have sentimental value?” You select either Yes, or No. If you select “yes” and they cannot repair it they will return the knife you sent.
Warranty Replacements

If your knife meets our warranty guidelines and cannot be repaired, we may, at our discretion, offer to replace it with a currently manufactured knife that most closely matches the one you sent. If you decide to accept the replacement knife option, your old knife cannot be returned. A knife with sentimental or collectible value will be returned and not replaced as noted.

Non-warranty Repairs

If your knife can be repaired and is not covered by our warranty, you will be notified of any non-warranty charges by mail. If your knife cannot be repaired and does not meet our warranty guidelines, it will be returned 'as is.' Some knives cannot be repaired depending on the availability of parts.
The repair request form:
Please list details for the knife submitted in the following section:

Knife
For warranty requests please choose "warranty" in the form below, for repair requests please choose "repair". Click here for full warranty details

Warranty Issue, or Repair Work Requested? *
Purchase Date *
Date of original purchase
Knife Description *

Item #, handle color, pattern, etc. Please provide as much info as possible: 0/200
Describe Issue or Work Requested: *

0/500
Additional Explanation or Comments:

0/500
Photos of Your Item (REQUIRED): *
Browse Files

Photo(s) MUST include date stamp (on one of the blades), all blades open and visible, and the damage. You can include up to THREE photos with a maximum size of 5MB each.

Does Your Knife Have Sentimental Value? *
Unless there has been a change in policy in the past year, I do not understand why they would not replace the handle covers on the OP knife with the current production yellow Delrin. They replaced the pearl on a 100+ year old long out-of-production pattern I sent them. It came back beautiful. (I did not request a warranty repair, I paid for the labor and material. Very reasonable cost IMHO.)

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER » Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:47 pm

I have sent a couple of things to Case for repair. One they replaced with a new one (which I approved), and one they refused. You definitely should have specified that you wanted your old knife back and would not accept a replacement. They are not going to send your old knife back after you received a replacement. They would probably considered this repair/replacement closed now.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"

Return to “General Knife Discussion”