Are they crazy?

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Are they crazy?

Post by ken98k » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm

I am the NRA.

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Are they crazy?

Post by treefarmer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:50 pm

You must have missed it! There is a free knife stand that goes with it. :roll:
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:51 pm

It's one of the annual Case/Tony Bose collaboration knives. All of them are expensive. I've owned a few of the 2009 Norfolks and a couple of the 2015 Cattle knives.

They are very well made knives but some owners have reported quality issues despite the high prices. I was lucky enough that none of mine had any issues.

They aren't part of the regular Case series of knives. Only one pattern is made each year and as I understand it, Tony Bose makes two prototypes and sends them both to Case. One is fully assembled and the other one is unassembled. Case uses Tony's prototypes to make the pattern as close to Tony's as possible.

They provide an opportunity to have "a piece of Tony Bose" for about 1/5 of the cost of a genuine Bose custom.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:59 pm

Yes, what Rick said above.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:24 pm

I'd love to have one but, there comes a point when things just get ridicules and this is a good example of just plain foolishness. :shock:
This is just the kind of foolishness that puts American knife companies out of business. I'll wait for the Rough Ryder Version!
I am the NRA.

tongueriver

Post by tongueriver » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:39 pm

I have owned a few of these CASE/BOSE collaboration knives but I have not had to pay that much for one. None of them cost that much when they first came out except those in pearl; perhaps they have gone up in price. I don't know whether the OP knife is a new issue or one that came out earlier; I don't really follow them. I believe that the ones I have were worth the money. I could afford to pay more for knives when I was working. Now, not so much.

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:02 pm

I think the knife in the op is the 2020 release.

I think I’ve owned 7 of the Norfolks and 2 of the Cattle knives. All of mine were worth the cost in my opinion.

The only reason I don’t still have them is because of their value. When I see another knife that I want I can sell one Case/ Bose Collab knife and buy the knife I want with LOTS of money left over.

I do miss them though and I can easily see myself getting another one eventually.
Rick T.

stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:37 pm

Here is one that I had and it was hard to resale. I thought I could make a little money to invest in a good old knife, didn't do so well. I usually don't go into much new stuff. I enjoy the older knives.

Harold
Attachments
TB #1.jpg
TB #3.jpg
TB#2.jpg

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:50 pm

I came into a bit of money a couple of years ago and bought this one. Most expensive knife I've ever owned. Not the most valuable but certainly the most expensive. It's a humdinger. Was it worth it? ::shrug:: I'll never know because I'll never sell it while I'm still suckin' air.
Attachments
Case 2013 Mini Trapper TB622013 W 254CM Antique Bone.JPG
DSC09127.JPG
DSC09124.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:11 pm

Stockman and Cuz, those are both sure humdingers for sure!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

bighomer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by bighomer » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:21 pm

Well now fellers the price of the knife ain't no step for a stepper, I think it's mighty Purdy and would probably get one but divorces are really expensive, so guess I'll pass. ::facepalm:: ::handshake::

1967redrider
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1967redrider » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 pm

I'm happy with the less expensive and mass produced Case/Bose collaborations.
Attachments
IMG_20201109_182109261.jpg
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm

I just read that Tony Bose passed away. What an enormous loss.
Rick T.

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:56 pm

ken98k wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:34 pm
What makes this a $500 knife?
https://www.smkw.com/bose-6-5-bonestag- ... alog-Email

Based on comparable sales that’s not an unreasonable price. https://www.arizonacustomknives.com/kni ... bose-tony/ Not a bargain, but not unreasonable. What makes it a $500 knife? Good question.

These knives are made with premium materials like 154-CM stainless steel, premium liners, premium handle materials, pinned shields, etc. I’ve been told they’re made and finished by Case’s best cutlers. The patterns are custom designed for Case by Tony - they’re not “normal” production patterns. As I understand it he makes at least one prototype finished knife and at least one unassembled set of components in his shop, from which Case makes tooling to produce the knives. Tony personally oversees the initial production, helps train the cutlers, etc. I’m sure they have to compensate Tony somehow, whether by paying him for each design, a per-knife royalty, or both. Plus possibly some other arrangement like a retainer.

Now, with all that being said are they worth the price? The same or similar knife designed by Tony and made in his custom shop would likely cost at least 3x to 5x or more. So what you’re getting is a limited edition custom-quality knife for less money than a full custom, but more than a standard production knife.

That’s my take on it FWIW. As always, it up to the buyer to decide.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

32man

Post by 32man » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm

Railsplitter wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:38 pm
I just read that Tony Bose passed away. What an enormous loss.
I heard that also from a couple others.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”