Knife repair

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
june06

Knife repair

Post by june06 »

Does anyone here do any knife repair I have a couple of older Kabar that has blade wobble and the snap is weak would be glad to pay I can text pictures if anyone is interested thanks
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Knife repair

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Seems you have posted this several times, apparently without a reply. If that’s the case I’d recommend you go to the Knife Repair subforum here, look through some of the posts there and send a PM directly to a couple of the members who have posted about their work. Here’s a good place to start looking viewtopic.php?f=37&t=3859

That’s what I did. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

There are quite a few finer mechanics here. If someone hasn't replied yet, it's not that we are ignoring you. It may be because they are too busy with other projects, or have too many things going on.

This year's been a bit crazy, so it's affected us all in different ways. Myself, I am severely backlogged, so my books are actually closed. The projects I have underway are being hampered by other goings-on in my life. It hasn't been easy to find time for hobbies. I'm sure others might be in a similar situation.
knivestemplar

Post by knivestemplar »

I have 3 case classic's that need pins replaced on composite handles. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to who or where I can get these knives fixed?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

knivestemplar wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:21 pm I have 3 case classic's that need pins replaced on composite handles. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to who or where I can get these knives fixed?
See the posts above yours. Rather than wait for a response that may never come, in my experience you need to pick a mechanic or two and PM or email them. It’s unlikely they will contact you. Most of them have plenty to do. I’m telling you this because I made posts similar to yours and got no response. So I took the initiative to contact someone directly by sending them a PM through AAPK. Got a reply and a month later I had a beautifully repaired knife. At a reasonable price.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Do the knives have celluloid handles?
If so, just a guess on my part, I would check for any sign of celluloid off-gassing.

If the pins are discolored or broken, it is quite possible the celluloid is responsible, Delrin does not cause that.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
knivestemplar

Post by knivestemplar »

I am just trying to get the names of a couple of guys who would/could repin my knives. At this point I don't know who to message.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The best bet is to look through the list guys posting in Knife Repairs Restorations and find someone whose work you like and message them to see if they have time to take it on.

I am not taking any new work on right now, I have some health issues I'm dealing with and it's just easier not to have to work on knives while dealing with health issues, pandemic lockdowns, and all the other STUFF life throwing at us right now. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

You made this post in the “Knife Repair and Restoration” subforum. Which has hundreds of posts, many from folks that do what you want. Some have posted pictures of their work and their workshops. Some of them list the makers they specialize in repairing, and contact info, in their signatures under their posts. Pick one or two and send a PM. If they can’t do it, try a couple more.

I don’t know what else to tell you. Your other option is to wait and hope one of them replies to you. Your choice. As I said previously, waiting didn’t work for me. If I hadn’t taken the initiative to contact someone I’d likely still be waiting.

Ken

I see Dale beat me to it.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Maybe contact Jeff... (Jeffinn) and see what he is up to.
His work is very good!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

It's what I do. If you contact KaBar, I'm the guy they send you to.
I stay pretty busy and I won't be shipping anything from Dec. 7-Jan. 4 because of possibility of losses.
I suggest anyone who wants anything repaired by any of the repair persons here, post pictures of the work needed.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery