Schrade knife boxes

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade knife boxes

Post by Beag1eGal » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:50 pm

Morning all,
Quick question. Anyone know what the first boxes Schrade used for the Old Timer line?
I have seen the brown boxes, the cream/white and the blue and white.
I was thinking the brown boxes were the oldest, but an not sure.
Thank you. Hope you and yours are well.

tongueriver

Re: Schrade knife boxes

Post by tongueriver » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:01 pm

Someone will elucidate this more clearly and amplify it in the direction of accuracy, hopefully. This is what I remember:
The very first boxes were cedar and held the 2OT and the 8OT, both in bone. They quickly switched to a cardboard wood-grain box that was very similar in appearance. Those disappeared quickly also. Then there were brown cardstock boxes that were hinged, then the same that were two piece. After that you have listed the major remaining later types.

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Cal pretty much nailed it.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
Rule 9 - Always carry a knife. - Jethro Gibbs

tnorton
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by tnorton » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:46 pm

Somebody may have further knowledge but the "view tubes" from what I can deduce range from late 60's to mid 80's - of course with Schrade there are always exceptions. The tubes were mainly for open stock but i have a few OT's as well. There was a thread on this forum where someone put some pictures of boxes with estimated dates - might search for it - Clint

Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:35 am

Thank you all so much!!
Appreciate the help.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”