Taking a short break from knives

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Taking a short break from knives

Post by Jeffinn » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:09 pm

I’ll be spending the next week or ten days brewing some beer so I’m ready for the upcoming fall/winter season.
I brew 5 gallon batches and I’ve got 6 or 8 kegs downstairs to fill so if I can get them all filled I should be set until spring!
Jeff
If it ain't broke, you're not trying!
Jeff
https://www.secondlifeknives.com

Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Taking a short break from knives

Post by Railsplitter » Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:54 pm

Jeff, I don't know if you'll see this or not but have a great time with the brewing. ::tu::

I brewed a few batches myself and I believe I brewed 5 gallon batches as well. I just remember that the carboy was huge and I yielded about 42 bottles from each batch.

I'll never forget the batch of Ginger Beer I brewed. I used real Ginger Root ground up on a cheese grater and man o man, that was some good beer.

Have fun and we'll see you when you come back!
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:07 am

Thanks Rick.
Jeff
Jeff

Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 am

Have fun brewing, Jeff. When you get a chance we need to see some photos of the brewery. I also brew a bit, just extract stuff. My brewery is the tiny cubby under the stairs.
Attachments
Brewing cubby
Brewing cubby
Mel

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:56 am

Dinadan wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:26 am
Have fun brewing, Jeff. When you get a chance we need to see some photos of the brewery. I also brew a bit, just extract stuff. My brewery is the tiny cubby under the stairs.
I started out with extract then eventually moved on to all grain brewing.
Looks like you’ve got the perfect location for fermenting a batch or two. There’s nothing quite as tasty as some good old home brew! I’ll snap a few pictures later this week and post them up!
Jeff
Jeff

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:20 am

It's never a good idea to mix large quantities of beer with sharp knives... :D
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

TrueStory

Post by TrueStory » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:36 am

Jeff I understand your need to devote your time and energy to brewing up your winter supply but please don't forget all your friends here on AAPK who will be missing you until you return. Cheers ! ::tu::

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jmh58 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:04 pm

Have fun Jeff.. ::tu::
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 pm

Jeff you are truly a Renaissance man. I always look forward to seeing your latest creations. Just about pulled the trigger on some you have done here lately w/ the engraved bolsters, very nice.
I don’t drink but it sounds like you should be set. I think I have enough fat to last until spring. Usually I ask my doctor if I have stored enough to hibernate for the winter, he gets a good chuckle out of that.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

PigStikr

Post by PigStikr » Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm

What are you brewing ? I haven't brewed a batch in five years I had some good clone recipes my favorite was a Bell's Two Heated and Bell's Best Brown ---liked making Kolsh to the turn around time on wheat style is quick---are you kegging I have a bunch of kegs---get yourself some of those plastic Pub kegs people will give them away way cheaper than kornies--- they work good for sanitize beer lines to beer boxes with coils are easy to clean
Never Doubt Your Dawg

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:46 pm

PigStikr wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:42 pm
What are you brewing ? I haven't brewed a batch in five years I had some good clone recipes my favorite was a Bell's Two Heated and Bell's Best Brown ---liked making Kolsh to the turn around time on wheat style is quick---are you kegging I have a bunch of kegs---get yourself some of those plastic Pub kegs people will give them away way cheaper than kornies--- they work good for sanitize beer lines to beer boxes with coils are easy to clean
After quite a few years of brewing I’ve settled on a couple of beers that I really like. One is an American Pale ale that’s clean and crisp with just enough hop flavor. And the other is an Irish Red that Ive developed from a book recipe but modified a bit. These two satisfy my taste for full bodied beers and both are very drinkable in the cooler weather.
And I usually do a few batches of hard cider just for something different. We live fairly close to a few apple orchard/cider mills so really good cider is just a car ride away.
Jeff
Jeff

Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn » Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:51 pm

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:20 am
It's never a good idea to mix large quantities of beer with sharp knives... :D
That should be a warning label put on all brewing equipment!
Jeff
Jeff

PigStikr

Post by PigStikr » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:36 pm

Jeff are you a member of the Home Brew site you can get some good recipes there from some really good brewer's look for Uppergirl recipes that lady knows her beer brewing if she brews it and you go by her recipe you'll be happy with the finale outcome.....
Never Doubt Your Dawg

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”