Estwing 4" Bowie

This forum is for discussing and sharing pictures of anything that relates to fixed blade knives.
cody6268

Estwing 4" Bowie

Post by cody6268 »

Another case of "Had to order something from Home Depot, and since shipping will be free, or the item is just under the $35 limit for free shipping, why not throw a knife in there?". In this case, the item was 50 pounds of grass seed which was $50, and a knife which was $25. I figured for something in the Mora range of pricing, with (most likely) the steel in their hatchet, it was worth trying.

KIMG1505.jpg
The knife is as heavy as heck. My Kabar weighs less IN ITS KYDEX SHEATH than just the knife, despite my Kabar having a 3" longer blade, and a longer handle. Main reason--whole thing is forged in one piece. There is no real "tang" at all in this thing.
KIMG1510.jpg
The handle itself. Feels OK, but I would have completely eliminated the protrusion towards the butt. Looks like Estwing took a little too much inspiration from Gil Hibben; with over-stylized designs. The protrusion prevents me from using the butt as a hammer, and it sticks into the side of my forearm if I'm resting my hand at my side. May just fire up the Dremel and reshape that part to my liking (a completely flat part where the protrusion was should work fine). The black part is just black powder-coat paint. Another area where I may improve, by stripping that off and dipping it in Plasti-Dip. That will make it gripper, as well as give it a bit more insulation from extreme heat and cold. I can see this thing being a pain in the backside when winter comes due to the handle being part of the actual blade blank.
KIMG1506.jpg
Blade thickness is about the same as my Kabar. Couldn't find my caliper, so I haven't measured it yet.
KIMG1512.jpg
Grinds may be a little iffy. The tip is blunt, but blade is acceptably sharp for what I'll be using it for. I used it to open a few other packages I got in the mail today (one of them being a 20 oz. Estwing hammer--yes, that's what Estwing is known for, and does best).
KIMG1517.jpg
The sheath is the exact same Taiwan-made ballistic nylon affair as the hatchet will come with. My hatchet's been on my belt, in a pack, behind the seat of a UTV, and thrown in the bed of that same UTV alongside my chainsaw stuff, and used to cover the edge while I used the back of the head to hammer in a fencing steeple or a wedge. But, the sheath still looks pretty good, and holds the hatchet tightly. Nylon sheaths don't work well with me, yet the sheath has held up. But, this sheath isn't as good. Not to mention, the top part is stiff and hard, and digs into my side. Does not hold the knife well at all. I will likely look into a leather option.
KIMG1507.jpg
KIMG1508.jpg
In my use, this will be a heavy use/chopper type knife. Read, a really short-bladed machete for cutting through brush and the like. It is not the kind of knife I woul EDC. The handle is weird, the knife is insanely heavy, the sheath is mediocre, and the steel a complete and utter mystery. Thus, this is a pretty lukewarm knife for me. Now to get rid of that big, dangerous bear (which, somehow's gotta be non-lethal, thanks to the idiots at VA Fish and Wildlife who talk out of their backends) so I can head up into the woods to test the chopping ability. Second-best is the brush pile in the lower field next to the barnyard. I think I'll go there next.

My go-tos for hard use will remain the Camillus Marine Combat Knife (previously mentioned as being a Kabar) and a just after WWII-made MK I Deck Knife. They are better balanced, look great, are very comfortable to use for extended periods with their stacked leather handles (and notice, for some reason, the Camillus has a diamond-shaped texture added by a PO to the handle; which makes it really comfortable), good for just general knife stuff, but just as strong for chopping and cutting. Plus, the Marine Combat has a steel pommel for use as an emergency hammer, and the current MK I Deck Knife, by Kabar, has a steel pommel as well; and I plan to add one soon. The old Camillus has a Bakelite/Tenite pommel. And I'm sure both knives have some interesting stories to tell. The Marine Combat appears to have been owned by a SEAL before, with modifications they often made having been done to it.
KIMG1521.JPG
KIMG1521.JPG
And for general use, most Mora models are more comfortable, but just as strong. Also, most are really lightweight. I have a couple of Basics (all carbon steel), a Robust (rubber handle, thick 3.2mm 3.75" blade); a Companion (stainless, non-HD thin blade), an old Scout knife, and an Eldris; as well a Bushcraft (with a thick 3.2mm blade that is 4 1/4" long) that is in the mail. The Bushcraft, I am almost certain, will be a much better all-around knife than the weighty Estwing, with a thick blade out of a carbon steel that does resist hard use well. This is pretty much all I own but the Scout--which needs a new handle and a keeper strap on its sheath.

KIMG1520.JPG
cody6268

Re: Estwing 4" Bowie

Post by cody6268 »

Well, shovel handle popped off an old beater shovel, and I needed to put wedges back in. To split the handle, I decided to use the knife. Something I often criticize others for doing with their knives is batoning, but I couldn't find the Mora chisel I typically use for jobs like this, and this knife seemed strong enough. I didn't use a big hammer (my Harbor Freight dead blow is in the tractor toolbox, as that's where it sees the most use--knocking pins; need to buy another. NEVER USE A STEEL HAMMER. This one has soft rubber and hard rubber (or soft plastic) inserts and is a roughly 10 year old Craftsman made by Vaughan. Really handy for not marring up what you're hitting.
KIMG1523.JPG
Didn't take much.
KIMG1524.JPG
KIMG1527.JPG
I didn't note any edge damage. Steel, again, must be what the hatchets use. And because I used a mallet, I limited damage to the spine.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Here you go Cody6268, several years ago Jerryd and TripleF did a pass around with the same Estwing knife you are showing. It got a pretty good work out and there were interesting and maybe differing opinions concerning "Rocky".
Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=49756&hilit=estwin ... ass+around
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

What a cool knife. I have owned an Estwing axe (USA made) for over a decade that has been a great tool. I may just have to try one of their knives. Glad to see they're made here too!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....why is it called a "bowie"???........it doesn't look like what I thought was a bowie????.............. ::shrug:: ...............
eveled

Post by eveled »

As much as I love Estwing hammers, I have at least a dozen. Love their hatchets and axes, I feel they really missed the mark with this “Bowie”. Too stylized, too heavy, too far from their other products.

They used to make a knife that matched their leather hatchet handle. I wish they still did.

Thanks for the review anyway. Do you think it would stand up to throwing?
eveled

Post by eveled »

Until I found this picture I didn’t realize there was more than one Estwing knife with this handle.
4316312A-9B32-4725-938E-291B255AF6DC.jpeg

Return to “Fixed Blade Knives”