Do you recognize this tang stamp? Many thanks in advance!

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
PACKLEAD3R

Do you recognize this tang stamp? Many thanks in advance!

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

I attached several different views.
Attachments
20200708_215736.jpg
20200708_220151.jpg
20200708_220055.jpg
20200708_220214.jpg
20200708_220209.jpg
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

J.Gilmer ::handshake::
just bob

Re: Do you recognize this tang stamp? Many thanks in advance!

Post by just bob »

I'm pretty sure I can read Conewago on the tang. If so that would tie it to PA, but I can't get any hits on a cutlery business there and today the population is only 7K so it is a very small town. So far as the name maybe J Berringer or something similar to that. Maybe someone has a directory of PA cutlery companies and could find it? Also entirely possible that this person did not make knives at all, but sold knives made by another company with his name on the tang, like a hardware store or something.

Funny how far Google has digressed. It used to be they provided you with information and now they just try to sell you something. In searching for Conewago you can get a lot of information on real estate and drug treatment there, but little else.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

J. C. Tanger was a hardware company in Hanover PA. not far from Conewago PA. Could be there was more than one store that they owned and operated.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

just bob wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:23 am I'm pretty sure I can read Conewago on the tang. If so that would tie it to PA, but I can't get any hits on a cutlery business there and today the population is only 7K so it is a very small town. So far as the name maybe J Berringer or something similar to that. Maybe someone has a directory of PA cutlery companies and could find it? Also entirely possible that this person did not make knives at all, but sold knives made by another company with his name on the tang, like a hardware store or something.

Funny how far Google has digressed. It used to be they provided you with information and now they just try to sell you something. In searching for Conewago you can get a lot of information on real estate and drug treatment there, but little else.

I appreciate the help & good info. Conewago was about all I could read as well. You did get more from Google than I was getting.

Thank you
Stay fluid and ever changing... "I heard it in some movie, sometime, someday. Shucks it's hard to say" ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::

just bob

Post by just bob »

Sometimes it is possible to get more of the lettering by laying a pc of onion skin or very thin paper on top of the lettering and rubbing with the side of pencil lead or charcoal. This might bring out more detail. I think this is an uncommon tang stamp but no doubt additional info is out there once you find out the name.

https://www.ehow.com/how_8393691_do-pencil-rubbing.html
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
PACKLEAD3R

Post by PACKLEAD3R »

I will attempt that thank you

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”