Long time gone ...

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
Toejammer

Long time gone ...

Post by Toejammer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:27 pm

... and ya'll are like "geez, the hippies back" ::facepalm::

Been a crazy few years away from this addiction. Damn near lost the house, (don't believe it when the wife says "don't worry, I'll pay the property taxes")
In the middle of selling the place now, and the buyer's inspector says we need a new roof, this bs never ends. I hate realtors ... no offense to anyone here who may be one, I've just been bent over too often. Fortunately the wife's brother, after hearing of her mistake, bailed us out on the taxes. And he grabbed a loan, and purchased the old hotel in the wee little town we're in now. Deal is, we sell the house, pay him off, and buy the hotel. We moved into it in November 2019, and it was freakin miserable.

The place hasn't been a operating motel since the late nineties, but it's still zoned commercial, so if we wanted to rent rooms to hunters, we could. But things need fixing before that happens. It has one main house, 2br / 1bath and a one bedroom / bath / full kitchen cabin. ( I call it Man Cave 2.0 ) And then there is five rental rooms and a mechanical room. It's in the middle of town, main street, at the 4 way,.... which doesn't have a traffic light lol. The town is Tryon, Nebraska. Middle of cattle country (sister in-law owns a ranch) otherwise not much here. oh, and the yearly property taxes,... $120 ::ds::

Health wise the eyesight got amazingly worse one day. Woke up, and the right eye was just blurry light. Now I had cataract surgery on both eyes in 2002, and everything seems great till about 2012, when the left eye started fogging up. With no vision coverage, and one good eye, I said screw it and motored on. Until one morning in Oct, 2019 when I woke up to the blur I had mentioned. Seems the replacement lens in that eye, popped out of the sac it sits in, and was free floating inside my eyeball. (the left eye lens had shifted, so thats why I couldn't see out of that one) It was surreal, I could lie flat on my back, and "see" the lens spinning around in my eye, like a frisbee. Managed to get a loan, and had the bugger fixed that week. The left eye is next on the menu, after the house sells and we have some funds.

So now I'm back collecting for round two. (had to sell off a lot of knives when the crap hit the fan) This time I'm keeping it simple, and probably going to spend more time building / customizing than anything. :mrgreen:
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Madmarco

Re: Long time gone ...

Post by Madmarco » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:42 pm

Hey TJ! You don't know me as I'm pretty new to this forum, but just wanted to express my empathy for your situation and welcome you back! Just try to muddle-on and remember, the big guy in the sky will never give us more than he knows we can handle! So, welcome back, and looking forward to some of your posts! Mark! 8)
8)

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:05 pm

Mike, it seems like when it hits the fan everything gets splattered. Just keep on truckin'. Don't let the bastids wear ya down. Good to have you back. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the Longhorn makes a comeback. Hey, at least it's still on the map and that's a start.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Welcome back Mike!
Your new digs sound fantastic, lots of room (if you fix it up), probably plenty room for a shop and all in a town with no stop light.
Sounds pretty good to me but that $120 per year property tax is flat crazy! ::woot::
We don't have a sales tax in Oregon so they get is real good on our property tax and income tax.
Property tax on my 1500 ft.² ranch house on an average size lot is about 35 to 40 times what you're paying! ::teary_eyes::

Hope those eyeballs get better and then you'll be living the dream! ::handshake::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
Rule 9 - Always carry a knife. - Jethro Gibbs

Toejammer

Post by Toejammer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:33 pm

jerryd6818 wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:05 pm
Mike, it seems like when it hits the fan everything gets splattered. Just keep on truckin'. Don't let the bastids wear ya down. Good to have you back. We'll keep our fingers crossed that the Longhorn makes a comeback. Hey, at least it's still on the map and that's a start.
OMG you found the Google map picture ! (it's at least 3-4yrs old I think) That sign is still hanging and lights up too. We'd keep it up except out of towner's keep ringin the bell asking if we have vacancies ! Locals know it's a residence, of course that's because everyone here knows each other,....and most are related ! I had to stand in the middle of the road and flag down the UPS guy when we first got here. He was looking for a residence, and just kept running right past us. FedEx guy was a bit smarter, he asked the gas station guys for directions,... of which we are right next door to. People up here help each other out, strange thing for a city boy, but I'm adapting.

Thanks for the welcome back !

Mike
A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer.
Bruce Lee

Toejammer

Post by Toejammer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:34 pm

Madmarco wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:42 pm
Hey TJ! You don't know me as I'm pretty new to this forum, but just wanted to express my empathy for your situation and welcome you back! Just try to muddle-on and remember, the big guy in the sky will never give us more than he knows we can handle! So, welcome back, and looking forward to some of your posts! Mark! 8)
Thank you sir !
Bruce Lee

Toejammer

Post by Toejammer » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:51 pm

orvet wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:30 pm
Welcome back Mike!
Your new digs sound fantastic, lots of room (if you fix it up), probably plenty room for a shop and all in a town with no stop light.
Sounds pretty good to me but that $120 per year property tax is flat crazy! ::woot::
We don't have a sales tax in Oregon so they get is real good on our property tax and income tax.
Property tax on my 1500 ft.² ranch house on an average size lot is about 35 to 40 times what you're paying! ::teary_eyes::

Hope those eyeballs get better and then you'll be living the dream! ::handshake::
Glad to see your still here ! Among all the knives I refused to sell, were my Orvet Customs :D Hopefully your doing better, seems I remember you having hand problems ? Either way, hope all is well !

Your property tax is crazy !!! Ours was $650yr when we moved to North Platte, NE in 2010. It was $1100yr this last time up. We lived about 2mi from the Union Pacific hub, and half the town works there. Those UP boys have got money to burn, so the city uses them as an ATM. But our taxes weren't as bad as the penalties slapped on top for being late, and the fact that they won't let you catch it up. They want it all, in full. ::disgust::
Bruce Lee

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:16 pm

Money grubbin' b....... It just goes to show ya that greed is everywhere. ::disgust::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

rea1eye

Post by rea1eye » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm

Welcome back Mike. We would be interested to know what kind of knives you use and
collect in NE!

Bob

Toejammer

Post by Toejammer » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:48 am

rea1eye wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:36 pm
Welcome back Mike. We would be interested to know what kind of knives you use and
collect in NE!

Bob
Thanks Bob !

I used to be big into old Cammillus slips and customizing TL-29's. Love Kershaw's from Japan and Italian stilettos. But since I sold nearly all of my collection, it's a clean slate. So I still haven't decided what brand / pattern will drain my grandkids college funds just yet 8)
Bruce Lee

glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:38 pm

Good to see you on the forums again! Sounds like you had a little ups and downs, but are getting it sorted out.

Sounds like the "hotel" will keep you busy.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”