Wostenholm & Son Pearl Gent’s Knife

Have knives or knife related items for sale or for trade? Premium subscribers are welcomed to post them here. Feel free to plug your AAPK knife store or eBay listings as well. Make sure to check out the items our club members have for sale if you are looking to buy.
Sheffieldguy

Wostenholm & Son Pearl Gent’s Knife

Post by Sheffieldguy »

This Beautiful little Wostenholm gent’s knife is 2 3/4” closed. Spear blade, pen blade, scissors, and file. Everything has great snap with no wobble. There is some damage with a large chip on the end in front (which has been smoothed at some point in time)
and a hairline crack through one pin on the back. It shows some light use with light scratches and pitting.
Two of the same knife are pictured in the SHEFFIELD EXHIBITION KNIVES book on page 158. Asking $75.00
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Wostenholm & Son Pearl Gent’s Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

I have not previously seen a Wostenholm with markings on back of manicure blade. Very neat. Do you know approximately when it was made ?
kj
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

Hey KJ, I’m thinking it’s somewhere in the early 1900s. But not absolutely sure. Maybe someone can shed a little more light on that.
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

Just noticed the piece of cracked pearl on the back is loose so the price is being lowered to $50.
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

Was able to glue the piece back in nicely!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The vintage Sheffield Lobster knives show the top level of the cutlers' workmanship, and should be valuable pieces of history/tools/art. But they are very under appreciated in North America, not sure of elsewhere.
This is a fine knife for $50 even with repair to pearl. I cannot buy as i live in Canada and cannot get to my USA mail box as border is closed to personal travel.
kj
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

kootenay joe wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 10:40 pm The vintage Sheffield Lobster knives show the top level of the cutlers' workmanship, and should be valuable pieces of history/tools/art. But they are very under appreciated in North America, not sure of elsewhere.
This is a fine knife for $50 even with repair to pearl. I cannot buy as i live in Canada and cannot get to my USA mail box as border is closed to personal travel.
kj
Hopefully, that will change soon! Depending on where you live and your mailbox, some trade across the border is occurring though, no personal travel.

Are you sure it can't be mailed or, is it a tax or import restriction thing?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It can be mailed to Canada and during normal times it takes up to 3 weeks to clear Postal Customs and then another week or so to get delivered. A significant number of packages fail to arrive. This is why about 12 years ago i got a P.O. Box in Northport WA. a tiny town of about 300 just 10 miles south of the Canada/USA border. It is close to a 5 hour round trip drive and i went about once every 3 weeks to pick up knives purchased on line. The border has been closed to personal travel since mid March and now there is talk of keeping it closed until Christmas or even into 2021.
So, there is no good shipping option at this time.
kj
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Roland, Sheffieldguy also lives in Canada, so no problem, you could give him your Canadian mailing address.
Dan
sidpost

Post by sidpost »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 2:38 am It can be mailed to Canada and during normal times it takes up to 3 weeks to clear Postal Customs and then another week or so to get delivered. A significant number of packages fail to arrive. This is why about 12 years ago i got a P.O. Box in Northport WA. a tiny town of about 300 just 10 miles south of the Canada/USA border. It is close to a 5 hour round trip drive and i went about once every 3 weeks to pick up knives purchased on line. The border has been closed to personal travel since mid March and now there is talk of keeping it closed until Christmas or even into 2021.
So, there is no good shipping option at this time.
kj
I wish there was something I could do to help you. I guess this is part of the collateral damage being done to everyone at large thanks to Pandemic fears.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Sid. The good thing is i am not spending a few hundred dollars per month on knives.
kj
Sheffieldguy

Post by Sheffieldguy »

Knife has been sold. Sorry KJ!!!...I’ve been out of commission on the computer for awhile. Could have got it to you! Again, my apologies!

Return to “Knives for Sale or Trade”