Missing pin!

Ask knife related questions here. Please answer some if you are an experienced collector!
Gone2Three

Missing pin!

Post by Gone2Three » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Morning friends,
So I've got a newbie question here so please don't laugh...
If a small folding knife is missing one of three pins located in the handle is it safe to say that it was repaired/taken apart at some point or does said pin sometimes work it's way out on it's own?...thinking not but what do I know
This pocket knife is probably mid seventies and looks like bone handles. Only one pin missing, all others are there. The handles are solid, no play in them.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Missing pin!

Post by edge213 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:43 pm

Would need to see pictures to answer accurately.
I have seen the pins holding the handle material in place come out.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf

Gone2Three

Post by Gone2Three » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:26 pm

Thank you David, here's a close up of the missing one
Attachments
20200323_102104.jpg
20200323_102104.jpg (2.3 KiB) Viewed 527 times

Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:56 pm

I’ve seen that happen a few times. Doesn’t necessarily mean it was repaired. You see it on older knives especially ones that were used.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan

ea42
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ea42 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:31 pm

I've seen it in a few Schrades like that, the pins were pre-cut and sometimes there wasn't enough sticking through the liner to make a decent head on them. Whatcha got there, an 804?

Eric

treefarmer

Post by treefarmer » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:44 pm

I've several knives that are missing a handle pin, none are EDCs. If the handle material is pulling away from the liners because of the missing pin a bit of super glue placed in the right spot should eliminate that problem. I believe some knife mechanics may set handles with glue in addition to the pinning them. Some newer knives' handles aren't pinned at all, they are glued on.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Gone2Three

Post by Gone2Three » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:16 pm

This is some great information everyone, thank you! ... I've got to say that I'm really enjoying this knife forum immensity. Everyone here has been friendly and extremely helpful.
As I navigate this newly introduced hobby, there might be more questions just like this....so you'll have to be patient with me ...
This pictular one I believe is a 787? Has two blades on either side, and not quite in my possession just yet. It's on the way as part of a 4 knife bundled offer that I couldn't pass up.

herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:26 am

treefarmer wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:44 pm
I've several knives that are missing a handle pin, none are EDCs. If the handle material is pulling away from the liners because of the missing pin a bit of super glue placed in the right spot should eliminate that problem. I believe some knife mechanics may set handles with glue in addition to the pinning them. Some newer knives' handles aren't pinned at all, they are glued on.
Treefarmer
I am seeing many newer knives that have glued on shields without pins, (including Case) and I think this is why we are seeing so many newer knives with missing shields. However, I haven't encountered any without any scale pins at all. I can't imagine the handle scales staying on for long without pins, but maybe I'm just stuck in the old ways. I epoxy and pin all handle scales that I am replacing. There is a fairly simple procedure for replacing a missing scale pin without disassembling the knife. I think I saw a good video on this by Muskratman some time ago. It may be in the AAPK archives.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

ea42
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ea42 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:50 pm

If the shield is pinned it acts just like a cover pin, holding the cover on the knife. The center pin holds it down too, so barring any shocks like a fall everything should be pretty stable.

Eric

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”