SAK question

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
tongueriver

SAK question

Post by tongueriver »

What would be the best solution for a SAK type knife with a good scissor and very little else?
fergusontd

Re: SAK question

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: If you could find a Sak with the basic tools you could take it apart and build what you want with the exact tools you desire. I think there are Utube videos to show you how. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

Cal, I had a couple of these and gave them as gifts. Well made, not expensive...... Kershaw Twocan http://www.multitool.org/knives/kershaw-twocan
Barry
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Keep it where you trim your facial hair, that SAK scissor is the best for doing that over any scissors I have bought. I don’t really use the rest of the knife for much anyway. Or give it someone w/ facial hair. If you want the easy way out that is.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As 1fartsmella said, the Kershaw Two-Can is a good little scissor/knife. Though discontinued, they can still be found on eBay and they are dual purpose. ---► https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... n&_sacat=0
DSC07441.JPG
DSC07443.JPG
Kershaw Two Can 1001 Blue.jpg

The Victorinox Classic SD is a great little (2¼" closed) basic knife, nail file/light duty screwdriver & scissors. There are a Billy blue ton of them floating around. This is, of course, the Alox version. Scissors are a quite common tool in the Victorinox line of knives. It all depends on how large of a knife you are comfortable with.
Victorinox Alox Classic SD - Silver.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That is exactly the info I was looking for; thanks to all! And Happy VD! (oops; that didn't come out just right)
Myron

Post by Myron »

I'll just add that one of my favorite Victorinox products is the Compact. It's the three tools that get me through 95% of my pocket knife needs, knife blade, scissors, and bottle opener in their full size 91 mm frame. They also utilize the so-called plus scales these days so you also get the toothpick, useless tweezers, useful ballpoint pen, and pin.

Up until the late-1980's, Vx made this exact same layout in the very pocket-friendly 84 mm frame size. It was called the Golfer. Since Vx discontinued the 84 mm scissors decades ago, they have become collectible. Easy to find, but fetch a premium price.

The ultimate version of the 84 mm Golfer was the Alox Voyageur, but it is long discontinued and fetches a super-premium price these days. One of my favorites though, and a fun one to build yourself if you have an 84 mm donor SAK for the scissors.

The next step down size-wise is the 74 mm Executive. A dandy little pocket knife and I have carried one for years, but it has additional tools and implements. But still, not much in the pocket and works great for dressier occasions too.

Then finally the 58 mm frame size would be the Classic that jerryd recommended above. Too small for me, but as he mentions they made and continue to make a ton of these every year. You can buy them by the unit weight on eBay, no kidding.

Happy to post pics of any of the above if you'd like to see.

kind regards,

Myron
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Myron, if I haven't done it already, let me welcome you to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. It sounds like you're going to be our resident go to fella for all things SAK. Stick around.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thought y'all might be interested in seeing a picture of the 91mm Compact that Myron recommended. For any newbies, left click on the image to get a full size view.
Attachments
Victorinox Compact 91mm.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Myron

Post by Myron »

Thanks Jerry! I did just join within the last week and have already found it a warm and welcoming place with tons of knowledge floating around.

Here are some pics of the SAKs I described above out of my own collection:

A Voyageur, 84 mm ribbed Alox.
IMG_8020.JPG

Two Compacts, 91 mm cellidor-scaled SAKs.
P7010032.JPG

A Companion, 58 mm smooth Alox-scaled.
vu3uxaAuRmqQngR2%zmGlg.jpg

A Golfer, 84 mm cellidor-scaled SAK perfection. :)
eaKYcy42TYymOeuRfnby7Q.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well there ya go then. Thanks for the education. Are you going to be our new Vic expert? Our old one went walkabout a few years ago so we've been winging it.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Myron wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:30 pmI did just join within the last week and have already found it a warm and welcoming place with tons of knowledge floating around.
::welcome:: Myron, glad you found us and are already contributing. ::handshake::
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Not a knife, but if you’re wanting a compact size scissors, this is a good choice. I have a pair - the scissors are great! https://www.amazon.com/Folding-Scissors ... B07STZPX2L

Ken
Attachments
38FE6E6A-1403-4E51-A672-0BDB9CEC391D.jpeg
FD9CB0F9-9F09-4772-8E48-F5F4CDA450EC.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Myron

Post by Myron »

bestgear wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:06 pm ::welcome:: Myron, glad you found us and are already contributing. ::handshake::
Thank you, bestgear!
jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 6:40 pm Well there ya go then. Thanks for the education. Are you going to be our new Vic expert? Our old one went walkabout a few years ago so we've been winging it.
Happily! I'll keep an eye out for any SAK-related posts here, for sure. I also have my own blog, and often publish articles on SAKs and SAK collecting there too. I'm not sure what the rule here on AAPK is regarding links to outside sites, though. [goes to forum rules after joining and posting...] :oops:
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Myron wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 pm I'm not sure what the rule here on AAPK is regarding links to outside sites, though. [goes to forum rules after joining and posting...] :oops:
Silver and gold level supporting members are allowed to post links to non-AAPK sites. You can find details about that in the upper right side of the page, where it says "support AAPK" . There are other benefits as well.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Anyone can post links to other web sites as long as they are not links to a personal commercial endeavor. What Ken is referring to is links in your signature box at the bottom of every post. I guess that is related to knife sales and a link to an off site store/web site where the member is selling knives.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

My golfer looks nothing like yours, mine has a divot repair tool, and a tool to tighten spikes. ::shrug::
Myron

Post by Myron »

Will do! Thank you Ken.
Myron

Post by Myron »

bighomer wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:24 pm My golfer looks nothing like yours, mine has a divot repair tool, and a tool to tighten spikes. ::shrug::
So this is where we get into the weeds of VSAK evolution. If your SAK has a spike wrench in addition to the divot tool, then it could be a Wenger. Alas, I am not a Wenger expert, but briefly, Victorinox Golfer evolution went like this:

The 84 mm Golfer started out with a part number, not the name Golfer. Prior to the 1970's Vx never named their models; they used model numbers instead. At some point, probably in the late 70's or early 80's, The name Golfer was used to identify any of half a dozen or so 84 mm models with main blade, scissors, combo tool (both the can opener and cap lifter in one) and corkscrew on the back. Early 84 mm Golfers had a small clip point blade instead of the combo tool, and other models offered the long nail file, the latter being very rare and collectible. Later 84 mm Golfers had a 90-deg half stop on the combo tool, for giving a different screwdriver advantage I suppose.

At some point in the mid-to-late 1980's Victorinox discontinued the 84 mm scissors altogether, and what had been the Golfer became a 91 mm model, but it bifurcated into two different models. One is the Golfer that you have, bighomer, with the divot tool, and the other became the Compact. The 91 mm Golfer had a poorly printed golfer dude on the top scale -- if yours has seen much pocket time it will be nearly worn away by now. I'm not sure, but I think that Victorinox no longer makes the 91 mm Golfer. The 91 mm Compact, however, remains a best selling model, and offers the exact same set of tools the old 84 mm Golfer did plus the multipurpose hook that no one seems to know what to do with.

If you want a really cool SAK that's unusual, easy to carry, and offers pure utility, you should find yourself an 84 mm Golfer from the early 1980's. In decent shape they go for $60-ish bucks on the big auction site.

I'll come back in a sec with some pics to hopefully clarify.
Myron

Post by Myron »

Ok, here are some pictures for anyone still with us on this topic.

91 mm Golfer with divot tool and badly worn golfer dude on top scale.
X0vOVwg1QGK5hEy1OEpKzQ.jpg

84 mm Golfer with long nail file and half-stop combo tool. Note that the scissors and main blade share a pivot, which is very unusual in the Victorinox world.
IMG_2498.jpg

84 mm Golfer with no half-stop on the combo tool (not that you can tell from pictures)
IMG_2499.jpg

Very early 84 mm Golfer with small clip point blade instead of combo tool. Hard to tell from the pictures but this one also has aluminum-headed tweezers, which dates it to ca. 1960's-early-70's.
IMG_2500.jpg

A 91 mm Compact of modern production next to an 84 mm Golfer from the 1980's. It doesn't sound like much, but 7 mm makes a huge difference in how the SAK carries in your pocket.
IMG_2501.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Thanks Myron mine probably is a Wenger, I've had it for a long and it's a long way from me at this time. ::handshake::
Myron

Post by Myron »

I'll betcha you have a Wenger Golf Pro. It has the divot repair tool, a spike wrench, and a club face cleaner doodad.

This image is courtesy SmartKnives. This one is currently for sale, although I have nothing whatsoever to do with the seller. I just like solving SAK mysteries.

:)
s-l1600-7.jpg

Return to “General Knife Discussion”