S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:32 am

I posted some pics of this knife elsewhere but here are the detailed ones.

Knife is a tiny Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" Mother of Pearl "Scissors Knife, Lobster pattern" as found in the 1936 supplement to Catalog E.
S8606 Shac - 1936 supplement.jpg
03 catalog posed.jpg

I cleaned it inside and out, removed surface staining and any corrosion that was bad enough that you could feel it, wet-sanded all the scratches out of the pearl, washed it with WD40 and polished it back to a mirror finish. I could of removed all the scratches from the blades but I decided it looked good at this point. I would have had to remove too much material so didn't try.

The pearl really glows again and I think it looks great for a knife its age. I took lots of pics. I hope folks enjoy seeing them.
04 with purse 16x9.jpg
05 mark closed.jpg
06 pile closed.jpg
07 top x2500w.jpg
08 bottom x2500w.jpg
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:32 am

09 mark open.jpg
10 pile open.jpg
11 blade well x2500w.jpg
12 scissors well x2500w.jpg
13 main blade front tang.jpg
14 main blade rear tang.jpg
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:37 am

As compared to its big brother Scissors Knife, an early Schrade Walden 877.
877 comparison x2500w.jpg

Is this what they mean by a "glowing reception"?
4 MOP group x2500w.jpg
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

User avatar
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 17423
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 6:23 am
Location: Willamette Valley, Oregon

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by orvet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 am

Nice one! ::tu::
I like it! ::nod::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

orvet@comcast.net
Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
Rule 9 - Always carry a knife. - Jethro Gibbs

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:55 am

orvet wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:42 am
Nice one! ::tu::
I like it! ::nod::
Thanks Dale! Now it's time to put some oil on the joints and file it under "done".
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9605
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:47 pm

Good to see some of the smaller 'pen knife' patterns. Most collectors prefer 'jack knives' so this is what usually gets posted.
I have a SCC 9604W, a 2 1/4 four blade lobster pattern with ivory celluloid handles; pg 40 Cat. E. Like the 8606 shown above the sides are not quite parallel but have a slight 'pinch' or dip in the center. Some of these small SCC lobster knives have straight sides.
This is one of the first knives i bought on ebay when i discovered it(ebay) in 2007.
kj

User avatar
tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 4841
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:01 pm

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by tongueriver » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm

I like them as well. Thanks for showing them! ::tu::

User avatar
KnifeSlinger#81
Posts: 3879
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:50 pm
Location: Oklahoma
Contact:

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:47 pm

Dandy little knife.

Many of the pearl gentlemans knives were more expensive than the larger working knives like jacks, barlows, stockmans and cattle knives but now in the days of collecting this has done a 180.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded schrades and Schrade Cut Co cattle and stockman knives, in good condition.

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

kootenay joe wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:47 pm
Good to see some of the smaller 'pen knife' patterns. Most collectors prefer 'jack knives' so this is what usually gets posted.
I have a SCC 9604W, a 2 1/4 four blade lobster pattern with ivory celluloid handles; pg 40 Cat. E. Like the 8606 shown above the sides are not quite parallel but have a slight 'pinch' or dip in the center. Some of these small SCC lobster knives have straight sides.
This is one of the first knives i bought on ebay when i discovered it(ebay) in 2007.
kj
tongueriver wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:51 pm
I like them as well. Thanks for showing them! ::tu::
Thanks KJ. Thanks TR. I've always coveted upscale pen knives. It's probably narcotic nostalgia regarding a time when all was "Norman Rockwell".

Juxtaposed, I can fully appreciate what's tiny and what's giant.
S8606 Sha vs Texas Stock x2500w.jpg

I'm still hunting for an elusive 9606 Shackle found at the top of page 41 of Cat. E. which is the genuine MOP version of the knife KJ mentioned. Here's my E. Weck branded 3-blade 8606 beside a 9606 Shackle I found pics of online.
8606 vs 9606 mark.jpg
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:47 pm
Dandy little knife.

Many of the pearl gentlemans knives were more expensive than the larger working knives like jacks, barlows, stockmans and cattle knives but now in the days of collecting this has done a 180.
Another big reason why I love collecting them.
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

User avatar
jxr1197
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 443
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:47 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by jxr1197 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 pm

I've got a gold fill version of that knife which isn't nearly as nice as the MOP. I didn't find it in the catalogs and it's got higher than usual gold content which is making me think it might have been a special order. The schackle stamp reads: BAB 1-10-14K GF. BAB could be a maker's mark? Really not sure.
S8609GOLD SHAC.jpg
- Jason

Jacknifeben
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by Jacknifeben » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:09 pm

This one needs cleaned up and a spring for the scissors.

Jacknifeben
Posts: 1030
Joined: Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by Jacknifeben » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:13 pm

This one needs cleaned up and a spring for the scissors. Cattaraugus.
Attachments
A2452788-4D0C-4F20-B6E7-071B21429FFE.jpeg
5B1A3014-563F-4028-8926-F46D8F4A18CF.jpeg

kootenay joe
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Posts: 9605
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:36 pm

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by kootenay joe » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 pm

"Juxtaposed, I can fully appreciate what's tiny and what's giant."
The "giant" looks similar to the 4 7/8" IXL "Texas Stockman" that was released as a Schrade-IXL in 1981, except the sheepsfoot blade has become a Wharncliffe and the hard wood handles, jigged bone. Can you explain where this knife comes from ?
kj

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:06 pm

kootenay joe wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:26 pm
"Juxtaposed, I can fully appreciate what's tiny and what's giant."
The "giant" looks similar to the 4 7/8" IXL "Texas Stockman" that was released as a Schrade-IXL in 1981, except the sheepsfoot blade has become a Wharncliffe and the hard wood handles, jigged bone. Can you explain where this knife comes from ?
kj
kj, I posted some details about it in a thread you started. It is the same frame. viewtopic.php?f=64&t=55772&p=755129&hil ... xl#p755129

The bone and pins look exactly like the Parker "Bison" that tr posted in that thread. I think its a legit factory knife. I was waiting to clean and polish it before scanning it for its own thread. Best guess is it was made up as a prototype for the Schrade I*XL Commemorative or an employee custom made up at some point from available parts. There is nothing written inside on the liners. The guy I bought it from had no extra information.
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

User avatar
bladecollectorr
Posts: 202
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:11 am

Re: S8606 Shac - Schrade Cut Co 2-1/4" MOP lobster

Post by bladecollectorr » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:21 pm

jxr1197 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:36 pm
I've got a gold fill version of that knife which isn't nearly as nice as the MOP. I didn't find it in the catalogs and it's got higher than usual gold content which is making me think it might have been a special order. The schackle stamp reads: BAB 1-10-14K GF. BAB could be a maker's mark? Really not sure.
S8609GOLD SHAC.jpg
That's still an interesting pattern variation. I can't find that one specifically listed either but I think S8609GOLD SHAC would probably be correct. Schrade sold lots of uncatalogued variations that keep things interesting these days.
I collect Schrade associated knives that were manufactured in the USA.

Post Reply

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”