Volunteerism

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Volunteerism

Post by bestgear » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 pm

My hypothesis is that many of us here are (or have been) volunteers in one way, shape or form. I'm currently a volunteer for (a) Boy Scouts of America - Eagle Scout Candidate Coach and (b) Local Community Hospital Auxiliary - Gift Shop Clerk. Help me prove my hypothesis and share your volunteer experiences! ::handshake::

jmh58
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Volunteerism

Post by jmh58 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:45 pm

I volunteered for many yrs at a Handicap hunt that a local township put on.. We would post the hunters then push for deer.. Was both rewarding and fun when a hunter got a deer..
John :D
..a great rabbit chase ends with a BANG!!

Son.. You need to get off the front porch once in a while!!

Not all who wander are lost!!!

All it takes is a little bit of sharp!!

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm

bestgear wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:35 pm
My hypothesis is that many of us here are (or have been) volunteers in one way, shape or form. I'm currently a volunteer for (a) Boy Scouts of America - Eagle Scout Candidate Coach and (b) Local Community Hospital Auxiliary - Gift Shop Clerk. Help me prove my hypothesis and share your volunteer experiences! ::handshake::
As a former Life Scout and Order of the Arrow thank you for your volunteer service to scouting.
When the kids were little I always loved being a Little League Coach and a drill instructor for my son's High School ROTC unit. For 3 years I was a volunteer judge for the City of North Richland Hills, TX for their yard of the month project, both business and residential. For 6 years I was a volunteer with the USO Center at DFW International Airport and as a field events representative. I volunteered as a Regional Coordinator for the Texas Peace Officers' Angels Foundation helping Texas Law Enforcement Officers and their families when an officer was injured in the line of duty.

Because health issues limit my volunteer activities these days I'm a little limited. I volunteer my time and talents to doing correspondence and website work for my church. I am a card carrying supporter/sometime volunteer with the "Wounded Warrior Project" the USO, the NRA and the Republican Party of Texas. In the spring I hope to start volunteering with the service desk at our local hospital.
David R
Senior Chief US Navy (Ret); DFW Airport (Ret)
My Gallery of Knives: https://www.davidsblades.com/

"A real Christian is a person who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip." Billy Graham

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:27 pm

May not be exactly what you're asking, but ....

I've been in the local Rescue Squad over 25 years. Drowning recoveries and lost/missing person search.
Not nearly as active as I used to be, but my wife has stepped up her participation
a lot the last few years.

Along with that, the wife and I became a licensed EMT's in 1994, later joined a vol. Fire Dept. and the county vol. ambulance service (rural area). For a period of time, I ran around 90% of all EMS calls in the County,
simply because I worked 3rd shift and was the only EMT available during the day . ::tired::

Sadly, the missus and I gave up Fire/EMS when we moved out of that area. We both let our license lapse ..
::facepalm::

Between the 3 services, she and I have a few stories to tell . . . . .
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves

KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:51 pm

In August of 1970, I volunteered for the U.S. Navy. At approximately 0030 hours (12:30 am), I stepped off the bus and onto a yellow square in San Diego Naval Base. At approximately 0430 hours, a 55 gallon metal trashcan was thrown down the center of our barracks, making a HUGE noise. The lights came on and five dudes in khaki uniforms began screaming and yelling at the top of their lungs for us to get out of bed and "pop tall". It was then, at that very moment, I realized what N A V Y actually stood for. Never Again Volunteer Yourself!

Seriously though...I've had some great times during my tenure of Navy life and after I got out.

** I've assisted those less fortunate and helped make their lives just a bit more pleasant.
** I've coached young men in sports, helping them to learn leadership skills and how to be the better person, teaching them that; it's not about the game, but about how you finish as a person.
** I've given personal time to visit nursing homes to visit with those who didn't have anyone. I've listened to their stories and gave them all the time they wanted to 'bend an ear' to anything they wanted to discuss or say. As a young man myself, this is where I learned a very valuable lesson in respect, honor and who the true heroes really were. These were times where just a touch, a hug or a tear meant the world to those who could no longer escape from their reality. I can only hope someone will do the same for me in my upcoming years...
** I've volunteered for "Clean the Bay" day, an annual event that can be somewhat arduous, and yet, fun at the same time.
** And of course, I volunteer to do whatever my better half says I need to be doing at any given moment.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:59 pm

I don’t know why that wouldn’t count Chris. It was certainly a great service, and you weren’t paid (monetarily) so it was indeed volunteerism. ::tu:: ::tu::

I’ve been a volunteer at many different things most of my life, as I’m sure many here have, coaching youth sports, working with the Boys and Girl's Club, local food bank volunteer, etc. Currently I serve as an elder in my church. I’ve been involved with the Boy Scouts of America most of my life, starting as a Cub Scout, Boy Scout, Cub Scout adult leader, Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop Committee member, and am currently Unit Commissioner for local Cub Scout and Scouts BSA units.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:33 pm

My daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes at 2 years old. We met some other families with Type 1 kids and we decided to form a support group for kids with diabetes. I was on the Board of Directors and I built the website. We were a great resource to families that had just been diagnosed - that is a terrible time with all that you have to learn and accept, and you have to do it all NOW - there is no time to get used to it. We also did fundraising for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (http://www.jdrf.org). As the kids in the group grew-up, the families drifted apart and the organization died.

We've occasionally done some other volunteering here & there - food bank, museum, etc.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 am

I served as a volunteer firefighter for about 13 years. My wife and I served as the adult leaders of the high school aged youth group at our church for a few years. I've also served as a deacon and later an elder in my church along with serving a couple of terms as chairman of the church board. More recently I taught the young adult Sunday School class for a few years at our current church. I served as a church speaker for The Gideons International until my COPD forced me to give that up. I also serve as a volunteer administrator here at AAPK.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009

Please visit my AAPK store http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/philco

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 am

The first time was 28 June 1962. Four years, two months and twelve days later I decided I didn't want to do that anymore. I volunteered at one of the local hospitals for a couple of different stretches in the mid - late '80s, but that's been about it.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:51 am

I was a volunteer Fireman for 32 years, a volunteer EMT for 31 years, a volunteer sheriff's department Search/Recovery Diver (drowning victims, evidence recovery) for 31 years. I also volunteered for lake clean-up campaign dives for 15 years. I was also a volunteer EMT on the corporate response team for 10+ years while employed at Dell Computers, proving EMS response for 9 buildings.

I've been a Master Gardener for 3 years, providing 100+, 200+ and 300+ community service hours in those years.

I've served as Usher, Altar Guild, Communion Assistant, and Assistant Pastor at my church for 10+ years.

Appointed an Admiral in the (3rd) Texas Navy 23 years ago, I work with providing education about the Texas Navy and its importance in Texas gaining its independence from Mexico (1st Navy) and maintaining its independence (2nd Navy) in the years leading up to Texas joining the USA at events around the state. As a member of the Edwin Moore Squadron, I am currently serving as its Texas Navy History Liaison Officer, where I work with central Texas school districts to provide speakers about the Texas Navy to Texas History classes, ensuring that (new) Texas History teachers are aware of the documentary video the TN produced, and coordinate TN information tables are set up at events.

And whatever my 84 year old mother decides I should be "helping out with".

Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:10 am

I’m reminded of one of my earliest memories of volunteering viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28684&p=632505&hil ... rs#p632505

::facepalm:: :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Airborne 1
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Airborne 1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:58 am

Last time I volunteered ,they sent me to vietnam. That was the last time I made that mistake.Sorry
C/2/505PIR 11B4P 68-69 (RVN)

bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:59 am

Nice display of volunteerism gentlemen ..... where are all the Elks, Lions, Moose not to mention the Masons, Habitat for Humanity and Nature Conservancy ..... good to see so much faith-based representation ::tu::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:29 pm

I did leave out that my lottery number came up and because of my bright red hair at the time I didn't look good in army green. So I quickly ran down to the Navy recruiter and "volunteered." Twenty six years later I faced mandatory retirement from the Navy because of "High Year Tenure."
dlr110 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:15 pm

When the kids were little I always loved being a Little League Coach and a drill instructor for my son's High School ROTC unit. For 3 years I was a volunteer judge for the City of North Richland Hills, TX for their yard of the month project, both business and residential. For 6 years I was a volunteer with the USO Center at DFW International Airport and as a field events representative. I volunteered as a Regional Coordinator for the Texas Peace Officers' Angels Foundation helping Texas Law Enforcement Officers and their families when an officer was injured in the line of duty.

Because health issues limit my volunteer activities these days I'm a little limited. I volunteer my time and talents to doing correspondence and website work for my church. I am a card carrying supporter/sometime volunteer with the "Wounded Warrior Project" the USO, the NRA and the Republican Party of Texas. In the spring I hope to start volunteering with the service desk at our local hospital.
David R
Senior Chief US Navy (Ret); DFW Airport (Ret)
My Gallery of Knives: https://www.davidsblades.com/

"A real Christian is a person who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip." Billy Graham

fergusontd
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by fergusontd » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:33 pm

::tu:: I volunteered for the Navy in '68, drove the band equipment truck for the school, and helped coach girls summer softball, and helped my wife with girl scouts from time to time. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”