Case Camp Knife 640045 R 7 dot 1983

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
LDF Knives

Case Camp Knife 640045 R 7 dot 1983

Post by LDF Knives »

IS this knife too common? Mint with Original box could be nice for Camping collectors, so you as a collector what ya think? ::shrug::
Attachments
20191212_1.JPG
20191212_2.JPG
20191212_3.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Camp Knife 640045 R 7 dot 1983

Post by treefarmer »

LDF, Steve Pfeiffer's book states that all 640045 R's were made by other manufacturers. The Case 6445 R was made in house by Case and was discontinued in 1978, the 640045 RSS was discontinued in 2006. That said, you have a very practical knife that could remain a safe queen or be used as an EDC.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Safe Queen!! ::tu::
“Everyday is a good day. Some days are more comfortable than others.”- My Dad.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

As has been said already the 640045R was made for Case on contract, at various times by Camillus, Utica, and Schrade. They’re good knives, and can be found fairly readily (but usually without the box). All of them I’ve seen have synthetic handles. As for collectability, that’s in the eye of the beholder. The OP knife is a little more recent than I prefer, but that’s just me.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LDF Knives

Post by LDF Knives »

LDF Knives wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:31 pm IS this knife too common? Mint with Original box could be nice for Camping collectors, so you as a collector what ya think? ::shrug::
another ? when that box says special steel what does that refer to??
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

LDF, you could probably research the various steels used by Case in 1983 and maybe to get an exact description of what your blades are supposed to be but as I read the box I tend to think it is an advertising ploy, Special Cutlery Steel. It sounds good and maybe could describe all the CV, SS and other offerings of that time.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

My guess would be “specialty” because it’s not Case steel. Most likely the knife was made by Camillus. Nothing wrong with that at all but since the knife (and box) say “Case”, maybe for whatever reason Case felt a need to differentiate it from their normal steel. ::shrug:: Just speculating.

On the other hand maybe that’s an advertising slogan Case used on all their knife boxes at the time. Someone who knows their boxes will likely know.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

The box with the OP knife is the standard Case gift box. Case offered those (in 3 sizes) as an extra cost option to dealers who wanted to have gift boxes available for customers. Case also offered a different gift box (similar graphics) for scissors.

Case offered those exact same gift boxes from the early 1960's until about 1986, when Case went to individual boxing of all knives.

The "special cutlery steel" was just for marketing purposes, it had nothing to do with the type of steel actually used. Though one could argue it was no lie since all of Case's knives were made of steel formulated for use in making cutlery.

The OP knife was made by Camillus, so I assume that the steel used is whatever carbon steel formulation Camillus was using at the time.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

treefarmer wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:51 pm LDF, Steve Pfeiffer's book states that all 640045 R's were made by other manufacturers. The Case 6445 R was made in house by Case and was discontinued in 1978, the 640045 RSS was discontinued in 2006. That said, you have a very practical knife that could remain a safe queen or be used as an EDC.
Treefarmer
That is true from the XX era on. In the Tested era, Case made the 640045R in house, as a scaled-down version of the 6445R.

Utica, Schrade, and Camillus each supplied Case with the 640045R pattern from the early XX era onward.

Seems that the Utica made examples are the rarest. Camillus the most common, and all were made by Camillus from the late XX era onward, ending when Camillus closed up.

I'll post pics as soon as I can showing the three different variations.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”