Estate Sale Finds Today...Three Case Knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Estate Sale Finds Today...Three Case Knives

Post by KLJ77 »

Okay...I'm not a Case aficionado, but know a nice Case knife when I see it, whether it's old or new. Nevertheless, I'm sure there are many here who can state whether I got a good deal or not. Not looking for a pat on the back or an 'atta boy', but just a mere confirmation of possibly picking up a good deal. I'm more of a Buck knife guy, but couldn't pass these up when I saw them at 50% off.

Here' are the knives:

1. Case 6344 SS Stockman, year 2000. 3 blade, spey, sheep's foot & clip point. Blue bone delrin scales, excel. to NM condition. I paid $16.50.

2. Case 62132 Canoe (some call it a Butterbean). 2 Blade, spear & pen (??). Excel. to NM condition...if not mint. Year 2000, I believe. Paid $25.00

3. Case XX USA, Model 9201 / 10 dot. 1970. Cracked Ice or Ivory scales. (??) Paid $5.00. Blades open easily, are tarnished but sharp. Scales are worn, but tight and not loose. Gaps on the ends. I'm assuming these shrunk over time. Again (??).

Pics below: All comments, positive or negative welcome. ::tu::
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_61d.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_61c.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_611.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_613.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_618.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_61a.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_603.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_605.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_607.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_608.jpeg
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Gumshoe

Re: Estate Sale Finds Today...Three Case Knives

Post by Gumshoe »

Atta boy! You did good. Number 3 is what is known as a HOK (honest old knife). It is a 9201 which is simulated pearl aka cracked ice.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks, Gumshoe. I knew when I saw the '10 dot' on the blade, there was something about it. I can't believe it was still sitting there. Obviously, no one else knew what it was. I learned what a HOK is. ::groove::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

46 bucks, give or take, for 3 Case folders? Yeah, you did fine if you like what you bought KLJ77 ::tu::
steve99f
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Tractor Supply sells the 6344 Stockman for $45 plus tax so you can say you got three for the price of one. I'd call your Stockman's blades clip master, sheep's foot and pen. Generally, the smaller a Stockman pattern is the more likely it is that Case has standardized a pen blade instead of a spey. Their smallest Stockman that is standard with a spey blade is the approximately 3 1/4" equal end 6390. The longest stockman Case routinely assembles with a pen blade is is the 3 5/8" 6332. It looks like an enlarged version of your Stockman. Buck also makes small Stockmans but they usually have Delrin sides and satin finished blades and 3 back springs. The Case won't cut any better but its bone and mirror polished blades look better and Stockmans traditionally only have two back springs.

I've gotten my best deals on traditional Case knives in pawn shops. The owners do not expect to be able to sell old fashioned pocket knives for much.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks, Steve...Yeah, I have a small collection of odd / different knives, so I'm pretty happy w/my find.

Thanks, MSJ, for the ID on the knife blades. I had no idea the spey could possibly be a 'pen' blade...or actually is. My knowledge base regarding Stockman's is limited, so I appreciate the lesson. I wanted this knife more for the blue bone scales, but the price was right too. ::tu::
LJ

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Great haul.

I'm confused. The blue stockman has a Delrin shield but in picture #4 the handle looks like bone. Do you have magnification available?
Attachments
Bone vs Delrin.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Good morning, Jerry D.

Here's a couple of top/bottom views of the scale edges. I apologize for the poor quality of these, but hopefully they'll provide the view you were looking for to help determine bone or delrin. I stated 'bone' in my narrative without even thinking they may be delrin. Again, my knowledge base is not that learned.

Anyway...here's the pics:
Attachments
fullsizeoutput_61f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_620.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_621.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_624.jpeg
LJ

Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Like the majority of Case pocket knives your little blue Stockman has bone sides. The story is that to get denser bone they buy cow shin bones from Argentina where the cows have to walk up and down slopes to graze. Bones are like muscles. They grow stronger to meet the strains put on them. Recently a poster on another forum wrote the bone is coming from Brazil now but the idea is the same. It should be a good knife for your watch pocket. On the other hand the 1970 knife already had wear and tear so you could keep the blue one as new for a while.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Thanks Slip Joint for the insight. I found that interesting. It's only because of this site and perusing the numerous threads that I picked the knives I did at the estate sale. I had at least a vague idea of what I was buying. The 1970 Case 9201 I knew was pretty old, used and worn, but decided it was worth adding to the misc. collection I have. It still has a good working function to it.

LJ
LJ

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”