We just had our first twins!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

We just had our first twins!

Post by Colonel26 »

Mother and babies are doing well! Here’s The obligatory baby pics. The devilishly handsome gentleman in overalls is yours truly, lol.
B61BF183-8412-45C8-93DF-28A48E379960.jpeg
41B580C9-5219-46E2-A237-79B81C94D439.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: We just had our first twins!

Post by Paladin »

Congrats, papa! :D :D

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Did the birth go okay? I have seen sheep give birth to twins, and it can be difficult for mum and the offspring. ::ds::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Congrats! Gotta say,they are cuties! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks guys.

Momma did fine, all by herself. I was at work and my oldest boy went down to the barn to check on her and there they were. So far, so good. But we’ll jee keep them up in the barn for a bit yet.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cute lambs, and a proud papa! Congrats! ::tu:: ::tu::

I know the stress associated with birthing livestock. Our cows seem to pick the worst weather to calve in, more often that not. Newborns are resilient but bad things happen from time to time, which keeps us on our toes. Did you name them?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Congratulations Wade! ::tu::

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:41 am Congrats, papa! :D :D

Ray
You know Ray, now that you mention it I do see a resemblance. :mrgreen:

::poke::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 am Very cute lambs, and a proud papa! Congrats! ::tu:: ::tu::
,,, Did you name them?
For names, I am going to suggest Smith and Wesson or Sig and Sauer. :D :D 8)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:08 am Very cute lambs, and a proud papa! Congrats! ::tu:: ::tu::

I know the stress associated with birthing livestock. Our cows seem to pick the worst weather to calve in, more often that not. Newborns are resilient but bad things happen from time to time, which keeps us on our toes. Did you name them?
Thank you, but them be kids aka goats. I do plan on adding some hair sheep in the future though.
orvet wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:10 am Congratulations Wade! ::tu::

[quote=Paladin post_id=766524 time=<a href="tel:1571362907">1571362907</a> user_id=2553]
Congrats, papa! :D :D

Ray
You know Ray, now that you mention it I do see a resemblance. :mrgreen:

::poke::
[/quote]

Well, a goat is far from the worse thing I’ve been compared too so I’ll take that as a complement. As a matter of fact, having to deal with people 7 days a week, the more I’m around people the better I like goats! lol
Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:21 am [quote=1967redrider post_id=766532 time=<a href="tel:1571364498">1571364498</a> user_id=11555]
Very cute lambs, and a proud papa! Congrats! ::tu:: ::tu::
,,, Did you name them?
For names, I am going to suggest Smith and Wesson or Sig and Sauer. :D :D 8)

Ray
[/quote]

Those are fine names. But Valerie has already dubbed the girls with their new names. She named them after a good friend of ours who we got their daddy from. Their namesake is tickled to death. Women!
Robert E. Lee
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Oh, goats, they be some fine kids then!
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Congrats on the two-fer Wade. I guess they're pets? Goats do make good pets - they can also be comical. My boys had a couple of goats when they were growing up.

We had 30+ meat goats (Boers) several years ago - none of them had names. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Congrats! Goat mommas have two milk spigots, so they might as well have two customers!

When I was raising sheep, we wanted ewes that would produce twins. They were a little smaller and took a bit longer to get to market weight, but that was insignificant compared to having twice as many lambs going to market. However, triplets were a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. The triplets were considerably smaller, and there was ALWAYS one even smaller runt in the triplets that you had to bottle-feed, and they would never be as strong as their siblings. It was fun to raise the little wooly-buggers, but also a lot more work. I finally sold off a couple of ewes that produced triplets several years in a row.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:59 am Congrats on the two-fer Wade. I guess they're pets? Goats do make good pets - they can also be comical. My boys had a couple of goats when they were growing up.

We had 30+ meat goats (Boers) several years ago - none of them had names. :lol:

Ken
They’re brush eaters and hopefully eventually they’ll produce a little pocket money. Hereabouts goats bring more per pound than cattle. But it’s been a rough year. We’ve lost several to parasites, most here have, been bad this year with the warm wet weather. The biggest culprit here is barber pole worms.

I’ve had cattle and horses most of my life and this goat raising has been a steep learning curve.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:06 am Congrats! Goat mommas have two milk spigots, so they might as well have two customers!

When I was raising sheep, we wanted ewes that would produce twins. They were a little smaller and took a bit longer to get to market weight, but that was insignificant compared to having twice as many lambs going to market. However, triplets were a whole 'nuther kettle of fish. The triplets were considerably smaller, and there was ALWAYS one even smaller runt in the triplets that you had to bottle-feed, and they would never be as strong as their siblings. It was fun to raise the little wooly-buggers, but also a lot more work. I finally sold off a couple of ewes that produced triplets several years in a row.
What kind of sheep did you have?
Robert E. Lee
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

My mother always used to have a few goats wherever we lived. Lots of people swear by goat's milk but I can't stand it, it tastes like a billy goat smells to me. I could never stand to eat goat meat either it was always strong and nasty tasting!

But you can't beat a herd of goats for cleaning out a brush patch or poison oak patch!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Aw, cuties! Kinda sorry to hear the “per pound” comment. I guess I was hoping they’d be milkers. Yes, I have drank goats milk, lots, in fact.
Anyway, they’ll be a lot of fun, while the kids are, uh, kids!
I used to go to Coombs on Vancouver Island quite regularly. The big deal there is the farmers market building which is quite large and has a grass covered roof that is home to a permanent small herd. It’s pretty funny to look up and see a goat peering back at you over the eaves. I’ve always wanted some but never had the property.
Congrats!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Paladin »

orvet wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:29 am My mother always used to have a few goats wherever we lived. Lots of people swear by goat's milk but I can't stand it, it tastes like a billy goat smells to me. I could never stand to eat goat meat either it was always strong and nasty tasting!

But you can't beat a herd of goats for cleaning out a brush patch or poison oak patch!
Cabrito is very tasty. Something of a delicacy here abouts. 8)

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Paladin wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 am
orvet wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:29 am My mother always used to have a few goats wherever we lived. Lots of people swear by goat's milk but I can't stand it, it tastes like a billy goat smells to me. I could never stand to eat goat meat either it was always strong and nasty tasting!

Cabrito is very tasty. Something of a delicacy here abouts. 8)

Ray
I agree Ray - you just gotta know how to cook it - and never ever cook a billy over 3 months old. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Colonel26 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:12 am
What kind of sheep did you have?
Suffolks. We wanted meat animals, the wool was not important. We had about 30 ewes and a ram. This was back when I was a kid on my parent's farm. I was in 4-H and showed my sheep at fairs up and down the state. Each spring I would select the best lambs for show, then we sold the excess market lambs. Had some champions, and some not so much... Sold the whole flock when I turned 19 and went off to college. Bought my first car with that money!

BTW, Nubians were always my favorite goats - those floppy ears are great!
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Congrats on the births Wade !

You should look into doing that goat-yoga thing for a side hustle !
:lol: :lol:
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks everybody. Orvet, Ray, and Ken I’ve had goat a long time ago. It was pretty good stuff. But I agree never a mature billy. I had goat’s milk once when I was a teenager. It was at a friend’s grandads house. He miles his goat and put the milk straight into the fridge in a mason jar. Fresh, raw, goats milk. Best I remember it was real good. But I’ve read that of toy keep billies in with the nanny it can make the milk taste strong. ::shrug::
royal0014 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:38 am Congrats on the births Wade !

You should look into doing that goat-yoga thing for a side hustle !
:lol: :lol:
The money wouldn’t be bad. But I don’t think I could ever hold my head up in public again! lol

TFL I like Nubians too. Most meat goats here are crossed with a little Nubian. Those nubies are fun too, and very vocal. The minute they see you they start the Nubian death scream, “I’m starving! Come feed me!” Lol.
Robert E. Lee
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

zoogirl wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:29 am Aw, cuties! Kinda sorry to hear the “per pound” comment. I guess I was hoping they’d be milkers. Yes, I have drank goats milk, lots, in fact.
Anyway, they’ll be a lot of fun, while the kids are, uh, kids!
I used to go to Coombs on Vancouver Island quite regularly. The big deal there is the farmers market building which is quite large and has a grass covered roof that is home to a permanent small herd. It’s pretty funny to look up and see a goat peering back at you over the eaves. I’ve always wanted some but never had the property.
Congrats!

They’ve got to pay their way! But the girls will stay. They’re out of my best nanny so I’ll start looking for them a suitable feller in a few months!
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

The smart one is chowing down. I believe Cuz told me the other one is a female, so...........

Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Thanks for posting that Cuz.
Robert E. Lee
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

No worries Cuz. She sure is a whiner, ain't she. :lol: :lol:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”