Lucky Strike?

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Sut Tatersaul

Lucky Strike?

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All;
Almost 70 years ago I quit smoking. At the time I smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes. I now collect Victorinox knives, and I just wondered if any of you folks, had ever heard of any of their knives, featuring the Lucky Strike logo? Thanks.

Sut T'
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
samb1955

Re: Lucky Strike?

Post by samb1955 »

No but I remember the cigarette. Used to buy them for my grandpa for Christmas until he quit smoking.
They were around a quarter a pack back then.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I smoked Pall Mall. 25¢ a pack or a dime outside CONUS. Lucky Strike was one of the brands that came in C-Rations.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
DARRELL MAINES

Post by DARRELL MAINES »

I have a green handle Remington knife with red Lucky Strike emblem These are rare to find
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

At one time my dad smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes. One of my older cousins smoked cigarettes that had something called a “filter” and as a little feller I wondered why my daddy didn’t smoke the fancy ones? Somewhere along the line he switched to L&M’s in the late 50’s. He smoked them till he quit in ‘78 but they had done their damage, he died at 66 in ‘79. Mother was an RN, she didn’t want him to smoke, I cannot remember her nagging him about smoking. I am thankful I never got hooked! I guess I’ll never forget the advertising slogan, LSMFT, Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco. :(
What a trip down memory lane. :(
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

LSMFT. As teenagers, we had our own interpretation. "Loose Straps Mean Floppy Ti*****s" Boys. ::facepalm::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am LSMFT. As teenagers, we had our own interpretation. "Loose Straps Mean Floppy Ti*****s" Boys. ::facepalm::
I remember those days! :lol: From junior high on, Luckies were my brand. I gave them up in 1964 when the report came out. Quitting was not so hard with cigarettes but when the dentist told me I had to give up Redman it was a different story. It was tough giving up chewing. :shock: ::facepalm::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 am LSMFT. As teenagers, we had our own interpretation. "Loose Straps Mean Floppy Ti*****s" Boys. ::facepalm::
Didn't hear that one but it makes sense.
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Didn't hear that one but it makes sense.
[/quote].
I grew up just north of Forty Wayne, and heard that about age thirteen 1959. Area or year might be why, or you might have not been one of the bad boys 😈
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Similar to "S**t fire and save the matches." Giggle, giggle, tee hee. 1952 New Harmony, Indiana. 2nd or 3rd grade.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

My Dad smoked heavily then quit when my brother was born in '54. Apparently, he started again when I was born in '61!! He finally quit for good in the late 60s. I don't remember what brand he smoked, but I can tell you with absolute certainty that he quit by switching to chewing Wrigley's Juicy Fruit gum. My Mom bought Juicy Fruit by the case from Smart & Final to make sure we were never out.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I quit 24 years ago. I smoked Marlboro Lights at the time. I was out running service calls for NCR and my daughter had recently told me she was pregnant with my first grandchild (turns out it wasn't actually my first but that's another story). I got to thinking that if I ever wanted to hear my grandchildren call me Grandpa, I better quit and quit for good. I immediately called my doctor's office and requested they call in a prescription (had to have one in 1995) for "the patch". Picked up the prescription, slapped it on and never looked back. That was the easiest time I had ever had quitting. I haven't touched one since.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

jerryd6818 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:56 pm Similar to "S**t fire and save the matches." Giggle, giggle, tee hee. 1952 New Harmony, Indiana. 2nd or 3rd grade.
My dad used to say that but I wouldn't want to light my smoke off a turd.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Smart move, now they are 6 bux plus a pack.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I have a friend that has been an on & off smoker for many years. He seems to have a metabolism that screws with him. If he smokes, he can lose weight, if he quits, he blows-up. He's a big guy, about 6-3, and when he isn't smoking he is well over 300 lbs. He can drop 50+ lbs when he is smoking. His Dad died of cancer, so he has decided that no smoking & heavy is the better choice.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting thread. I don't recall ever seeing a knife with the Lucky Strike emblem but I remember seeing Lucky Strike cigarette packages that were red and green! Not sure when they changed the color combo.And yes I remember the take on the LSMFT logo.
I started smoking when I was about 11 or 12 and smoked Luckys. Switched to Pall Mall shortly afterward but also like Chesterfield Kings.I remember you could buy a carton of Luckys for $1.80 and Pall Malls for $2.
In high school I used to buy my cigarettes in a machine at a donut shop next to the school. They were 28 cents then and when you put in 30 cents the pack came out with two pennies under the cellophane.
Stopped smoking on January 20th 1983 after my (first)wife chewed me out because I was getting these horrible sore throats.She had stopped a couple months earlier. When I crumpled up the pack and told her I would never touch another cigarette her response(heavy sarcasm)was:"YEAH SURE!" I never touched another cigarette.
Still didn't help as I was diagnosed with throat cancer in 2001 and the doc said it was due strictly to smoking. He also said if I had chewed tobacco the chances were 100% I would get cancer. As I had only tried it once(along with smoking a cigar and a pipe)I wasn't too worried.
Went through hell after the operation(5 days a week for 12 weeks radiation and once a week for 12 weeks for chemo).Wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.
Cigarettes here in Michigan start at around $7 a pack for name brands.In Massachusetts they are over $12 a pack.Don't know how ANYONE can afford to smoke now. I think heroin is cheaper.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lucky Strike GREEN has gone to war!

Lucky StrikeLucky Strike was founded by R.A. Patterson in Richmond, Va. in 1871. He used the name Lucky Strike in reference to the Gold Rush days. He manufactured several types of tobacco products and offered them in tins of different sizes and shapes. Everything that would appeal to the tobacco user of the time. In 1903, Mr. Patterson sold Lucky Strike to W.T. Blackwell & Company of Durham, NC. Two years later, in 1905, the American Tobacco Company acquired the stock. After that period, Lucky Strike tins had “R.A. Patterson Tobacco Co. Rich’d Va.” in the outer circle of the Lucky bulls-eye, and “American Tobacco Company, Successor” stamped on the side. Then in 1917, they removed the Patterson name, added “It’s Toasted”, and introduced the new Lucky Strike logo to their tins. They also used the new logo to start a new cigarette brand to compete with other popular brands of the day. Luckies were marketed in the same green pack until 1940. These are the packs you see with the word Cigarettes written in large gold letters under the red bulls-eye, taller on the ends and shorter in the middle.

In 1940, they changed the word Cigarettes to small white letters. The “Lucky Strike Green Has Gone to War” campaign that began in late 1942. An advertising campaign, which was very successful for the American Tobacco Company. In 1942 the golden borders and side panels were replaced with the colour buff. This because Copper powder was used to make gold ink, but copper was a critical war material in short supply. The green ink also used to print Lucky Strike labels was now running low, with just a three month supply on hand. Chromium, the chemical element used to make solid green ink, was also on the government’s critical list. Then, due to the demand for green pigment for the war effort, and pressure from consumers that disliked the green pack, changed the color of the pack to white in 1942/43. Lucky Strike was spelled out on the bottom of the 1943 white pack. This was a carry over from the green design.

LUCKYSTRIKE

The American Tobacco Company started a new advertising campaign in 1944, “Lucky Strike Means Fine Tobacco”. The L.S./M.F.T was added to every pack. The broad pen strokes that make up the letters are those of George Washington Hill, who ordered them printed on the bottom of every Lucky Strike pack. This slogan was so popular, it was never eliminated from the pack and is still on the Lucky Strike cigarette packs sold today.
war"
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

This thread sure brought out a lot of history on my old favorite brand. Quitting smoking was the hardest thing that I ever accomplished! I'd like to have a dollar for every pack of cigarettes, that I have smoked, or to even know how many packs that I've smoked. In the same token, While quitting, I chewed countless packs of chewing gum, that was prescribed by the leading authorities, on the matter, and in the first week while quitting, my jaws locked shut, and I had to drink thin soup, through a straw to be able to eat at all, for another couple of weeks. I'm ashamed to admit it, but I've heard many nasty meanings, for the old slogan, 'LSMFT'. One slogan that wasn't mentioned, and would be better not mentioned, but, as others were mentioned, I Will anyway. Here is another one. 'Let's Scxxx, My Finger is Tired.
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Sut, that's a goodun. Never heard that one before. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I smoked Marlboro's started when I was 17. I quit when I was 24 cold turkey, after my 1st. daughter was born, don't miss it a bit. Sea store cigs were $1.20 a carton then, now they're about $50 a carton. Another reason I quit ... I'm cheap! ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:21 am ::tu:: I smoked Marlboro's started when I was 17. I quit when I was 24 cold turkey, after my 1st. daughter was born, don't miss it a bit. Sea store cigs were $1.20 a carton then, now they're about $50 a carton. Another reason I quit ... I'm cheap! ftd
A buck a carton anywhere outside CONUS, afloat or boots on ground. At least until mid '66.

Current average price across all states is $6.96 per pack.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::shrug:: Jerry, @ $6.96 a pack I just don't see why people still smoke. The price alone should keep most people from that nasty habit. It was a $1.20 in '68 from the ship's store. ftd
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

fergusontd wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:11 am ::shrug:: Jerry, @ $6.96 a pack I just don't see why people still smoke. The price alone should keep most people from that nasty habit. ftd
Because it's not a habit, it's an addiction and a very difficult one to break. I don't know if it's true or not but I've heard that it's easier to break an addiction to heron than to break an addiction to nicotine. I do not know if that's true or not.

"Research has suggested that nicotine is equally as addictive as heroin, cocaine, and alcohol."---►https://www.swedish.org/classes-and-res ... it-happens
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: you're probably right, for alot of people its hard to quit. I tell young kids I see smoking to quit now before it really becomes a bad habit. People who buy cigarettes for kids should recieve jail time. ftd
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

Sut Tatersaul wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:41 pm Hi, All;
Almost 70 years ago I quit smoking. At the time I smoked Lucky Strike cigarettes. I now collect Victorinox knives, and I just wondered if any of you folks, had ever heard of any of their knives, featuring the Lucky Strike logo? Thanks.

Sut T'
No.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip

Return to “General Knife Discussion”